Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Hey all.

Adam requested that I pony up the technique I used to make the Blue Realm style Dual Layer visors for my helmet, so I thought that I should share it with all of you. Being that I've been a little behind... on finishing the comprehensive tutorial, I figure I owed you guys a freebie...

I think it's common knowledge how it's done, But I know that it's pretty intimidating taking a Dremel to a brand new pristine visor without seeing it done by someone else.

Also I wanted to officially thank Blue Realm for pioneering this technique. I had thought about doing it, but didn't have the guts to try until I saw how great his looked. Hope you don't mind Blue Realm, it's in your honor, and you deserve the credit! :clap:

Firstly I purchased two identical gold visors. I buy mine here : http://www.helmetsetc.com/detail.asp?product_id=rst-19

Then I took a sheet of printer paper and taped it to the visor so that I could trace the exact dimensions of the visor and the exposed area of it when it is installed in my helmet. I took this sheet of paper back off the visor and roughly sketched the shapes of the recessed areas using game images as a reference. I then scanned this image into my computer and straightened and cleaned up the design of the template in Photoshop... which looks something like this:

template.jpg

I then printed the template out at full size, and taped it to the inside of my visor. Then I very carefully traced this pattern onto the face of the visor using a oil pencil.

With the pattern transferred to the visor, I used a Dremel rotary tool with a REINFORCED CUTTING WHEEL to very very carefully cut the patten out. Don't use those awful standard cutting wheels to do this, they will snap apart and fly all over the place! Be very patient and try cutting just a little at a time carefully avoiding any skipping or scratching of the surface, and also be very careful to not overcut at the corners.

cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

After I had cut all the lines there was still a little bit of plastic holding the pieces in place. I used a fine scroll saw blade to hand-cut these last little attachments.

cut4.jpg

After seperating the cut out areas of the design, I carefully trimmed off the flashing around the cuts, and used 120 grit sandpaper and a fine file to clean up the edges. Be VERY careful when wiping dust off of the visor, because this abrasive dust will scratch off the mirrored finish. Use compressed air, or wash it off under a faucet.

cut5.jpg

Then just place this cut out visor overtop of the uncut one. You may want to neatly tape the two together at the edges before you install it in your helmet.

Enjoy!

cut6.jpg

Helmet-3.jpg

-Sean

So that we dont screw things up.

1. Is that template accurate enough to scale and use.

2. Will there be another tut despite the depth of this one.

That template is proportional to the visors that I use. I guess you could scale it up, but I encourage everybody to draw up their own.

Another tut? You mean the comprehensive one that's unfinished in the ONI section here? Yeah, it will get finished when I get the time. But my free time is being spent on working on helmets for a few of the members here. That comes first. ;-)

Man that looks fantastic very very cool, thanks for sharing the technique with us hopefully i'll be able to do that on my visor (soon going to build an MC helmet :mrgreen:).

Sean, very nice and simply put. Hope Link dont mind but i might have to install one of these in mine :mrgreen:

you can do whatever you want to it....unless i find the shields cheaper im not going to put them in my helmet unless would pay more

Thanks for the info Sean. Do you use the HJC Gold visors? I was going to order them and use your technique.

Sorry. I missed your link. :$ops:

Very cool stuff with an awesome result.

Question: what is the width of an HJC visor (horizontally). I'd like to try this but I don't know if it will fit in my helmet once it's finished.

I have two diffrent helmets and i have found, (my experience) that having a bigger visor, for at least the base visor underneath the overlapping visor, is better than having a smaller visor.

Just a tip.

I recommend using two of the same size visor if possible.

I dunno Chuck, you're using Pepakura right? I'd advise you to go buy these ASAP, so that you can accomodate them into your design. It's alot harder to try to find a matching visor for your custom made helmet after the fact. And if you match them up at the patterning stage, they'll just fit much better afterwards.

I could give you the measurements later this evening when I get home from work... but it's probably not an adequate substitute for having one in-hand while you're building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back