To Anyone Interested In Free 3d Modeling Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU64

I know people here are always asking for 3D programs for models and what not...

I use Maya now but I actually started with trueSpace.
I heard that Microsoft bought it out, not sure if they bought the program from Caligari, or if they bought Caligari itself.. Well it doesn't matter really.

trueSpace seems to be free now much like blender and other know programs.

I just got a copy of 3D World magazine and they include on the CD, the full version of trueSpace 7.6 and a nice selection of automotive models. One being a 2007 Tahoe which they list as costing $3,495.00

So yeah, the program is quite powerful, its real time rendering is quite impressive.

Check it out, I believe its also available for download. I just like having a hard copy :D

Thanks man! Since I'm wanting to learn some modeling, it's always nice to have free options. Appreciated.

tlither said:
Thanks man! Since I'm wanting to learn some modeling, it's always nice to have free options. Appreciated.
Yeah, I'm wanting to learn, too, and these trials don't last long enough to actually learn. I a actually quite happy, however, that more and more open source stuff is coming out and even has the potential to be used more than actual commercial products. Of course, they won't be the same or even as good, but hey, it's free, can't ask for more, can you?

As a matter of fact, my new sig/avi was made with Paint.NET, one of the very few open source programs I've found even nearly as good as Photoshop, and since it's open source, user created plug-ins make it even closer in comparison.

But back on topic, is this trueSpace decent? As in, how does it compare with commercial programs like 3DS Max? (to be honest, thirty days worth of a trial wasn't even enough time for me to learn all the tools it had, xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went back to the Caligari site. They have a comparison chart with Cinema 4d, Maya, and a few others. It looks to be just as good as any of the $1000 plus programs.

I use Rhino v4.0 as my modeling program and Flamingo v2.0 as my rendering program. I also use Terragen (which is awesome for creating environments!), I have Blender, World Machine Basic (I never use it cuz terragen is way better).

I think I might have to get Truespace so that I can add to my 3D collection. You can never have too many 3D programs!

Interesting... I'll have to check it out when I have time. Right now I use Wings 3D and I love it. Don't see many Wings users though...

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
But back on topic, is this trueSpace decent? As in, how does it compare with commercial programs like 3DS Max? (to be honest, thirty days worth of a trial wasn't even enough time for me to learn all the tools it had, xD)

If you go to their site (caligari.com) there's a nice gallery there you can enjoy.
I just installed it last night and the sucker will display real time, with multiple shadows, and this PC doesn't even have a real graphics card...
I CANNOT GET Maya to do that even on my PCs with NVIDIA cards...

Now about truespace, the navigation system is quite different than say Maya or Max. It uses a "widget" type control for moving around. While I was good with it back in the early 90s, I get a little lost now that I'm used to Maya's system.
But its probably one of the best FREE programs you can get I believe.

I did stuff like Image Based Lighting back in the days with trueSpace 4.0 ( I bought 4 and 5)
[attachment=7191:IBLtest.jpg]

Spawn Camp3r said:
on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it to learn?

That's not an easy answer..
There's a difference between learning a program different than one you already know, and learning one without any experience at all.

I think they are all in the same level of difficulty over all. Right now of course, Maya is easier because I'm used to it. But it used to be the other way around.
What I'm trying to say is, what matters most when it comes to using Maya, max or even truespace, is the user's talent to be able to use the tools to bring an idea into a finished product.
Some people can create amazing renders with free stuff like Blender, while others might have access to a half million dollar SGI system and not be able to make a 3D stick figure...
Its all relative.
But if you have any previous experience, I'd say about a 6.
No experience, about a 9.

Razgriz said:
Interesting... I'll have to check it out when I have time. Right now I use Wings 3D and I love it. Don't see many Wings users though...

Hi there! Wings is all I use.

Now, I've tried both blender and XSI modtool, and no amount of tutorials could help me do anything with either of them. Is this trueSpace pretty much similar, or is it a different breed of modeling program?

I use
Blender
Maya PLE
3DS Max (Trial)
Bryce 5.5 (Hahha)

They are all quite nice but most of them take lots of time to learn.
Bryce is good when you combine it with After Effects Green Screen.

I try to use 3ds max 9, Notice the word try but I can't figure it out I am the kinda guy who needs to be shown how to do something reading about it doesn't help me at all. I have maya 8.5 but its not easy to figure out either. So in conclusion will someone direct me to a place where I can get video tutorials on 3ds max 9 free to download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back