I Have A New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNSC Leatherneck

A couple weeks back, on a foggy night, I clipped a fence along a back road. The damage didn't look too bad, but part of the wiring harness was damaged, driving up the cost of repair to the point that Geico totaled it. It was too bad, because I really liked my car. It was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, a sweet ride. I had to get a new car. Luckily I got a good deal on this: A 2004 Mazda RX-8, with automatic transmission. Here's some pics. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of the damage to the Hyundai.

RX-8_Front.jpg

RX-8_Rear.jpg

RX-8_Standing.jpg

The fun part will be cramming all the gear into it for DragonCon.

Nice ride!!! what I wouldn't do to that if you came to me with 5 grand and said hook it up!!! thats one of the cars I would love to have at the shop and customize it with all kinds of sound video and gadget mods. ever in north carolina look me up bring it to the shop with a couple g's and you will have one of the sickest rides you have ever seen.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
A couple weeks back, on a foggy night, I clipped a fence along a back road. The damage didn't look too bad, but part of the wiring harness was damaged, driving up the cost of repair to the point that Geico totaled it. It was too bad, because I really liked my car. It was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, a sweet ride. I had to get a new car. Luckily I got a good deal on this: A 2004 Mazda RX-8, with automatic transmission. Here's some pics. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of the damage to the Hyundai.

RX-8_Front.jpg

RX-8_Rear.jpg

RX-8_Standing.jpg

The fun part will be cramming all the gear into it for DragonCon.
I must say, you have a nice ride!

Well, since it is now winter here and my Harley is next to useless, I've been looking at Jeep Wranglers and Mitsubishi Eclipses. I've seen a few RX-8's that I want, but think, "Insurance is going to be expensive, and the person who had it probably drove like an idiot for the first 15,000 miles and wants to sell it now. The transmission is probably nearly destroyed."

It is a gorgeous car though. However, not so great in the snow I bet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. It's a blast to drive, even with the automatic transmission.

@Vampyredh The car came with a Bose sound system that is pretty nice, and SatNav is included, so there's not much else to include. i wouldn't want to add the weight anyway. Being an automatic transmission model, its weight is already heftier than the 6-speed manual. To be honest, there's not much I would add, except maybe changing the wheels. But that is not an absolute necessity.

@Razgriz These cars are well built and stand up well. Many people just don't drive the car hard enough. This engine likes to rev and needs to be run hard occasionally to burn out any carbon buildup on the rotors. The engine is a 1.3 Liter rotary putting out 197bhp in the automatic version. The manual gearbox cars put out maybe 30 or 40 more hp. The engine is not the torquiest, On my car the power doesn't really come in until about 4500-5000 rpm, the redline is around 7500. The manual gearbox version has the red line at 9000 rpm! If you find a manual gearbox car in good condition, I don't think you really need to worry about it. Trust me, this car really should have a manual gearbox. It makes using the engine to best advantage so much easier As far as snow suitability, I can't help you there. It doesn't snow very often here. Believe it or not, the insurance is cheaper on the RX-8 than it was on the Sonata. With that it mind, it is a front-mid engine, rear-wheel drive car with 50/50 weight distribution. It does have traction control. Like I said, I don't have any experience on snow, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back