Last Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any unwanted effects if I were to put the fiberglass resin over wheat-paste papermache? The reason I ask this is because we are making cardboard armor in my art class and I am already done with my Samus buster. I don't know if I want to move on the the mache' ing part or not because I'm afraid I could possibly ruin it. Thanks for your help.

as long as its not still wet, you should be able to resin over the paper mache without any problems. you might have some problems with separation though ( paper mache peeling away from the 'glass). easiest way around that is bondo over the paper mache before you glass it - bondo sticks to paper better than glass, and glass sticks to bondo without any problems, assuming the surface is prepped (40 grit sanding scratches over entire surface).
Hope this helps.

Humungotron said:
as long as its not still wet, you should be able to resin over the paper mache without any problems. you might have some problems with separation though ( paper mache peeling away from the 'glass). easiest way around that is bondo over the paper mache before you glass it - bondo sticks to paper better than glass, and glass sticks to bondo without any problems, assuming the surface is prepped (40 grit sanding scratches over entire surface).
Hope this helps.

Bad idea..
Don't use resin over bondo. Bondo will only hold onto the top layer of paper
The resin will soak into the paper and you won't have to worry about it separating. Make sure to notice the darkening of the paper when you resin to make sure its soaking it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
resin only separates from bondo when there's no or little surface prep. Without proper surface prep, it WILL come apart, as I've stated. Also, make sure you're using a low wax epoxy resin. BTW, bondo is made with the same types of resin used in fiberglass. the resin will soak in sure, but only about 1/8' inch, if that. and then the heat generated will make the paper separate from the resin. while its still wet.
I've done this before without any problems, on multiple occasions.

Don't believe me? dump some mixed resin on bondo thats been roughed up with 40 grit. then peel it off, take pics and prove me wrong.

Ok, well thank you. I have a new question now. YAY :D How would I going about making a good, not rediculously lumpy, cardboard sphere.

Thanks

Darkslitter said:
How would I going about making a good, not rediculously lumpy, cardboard sphere.

Ummm... Maybe you can use school globe as a mold??

Last edited by a moderator:
get a balloon, or a ball from walmart. there are plenty of ways to make a sphere that don't envolve cardboard. Half of cunstructing armor is the ability to think outside the box, and take everyday objects and transform them into new ones.
This is also a fundemental structure of art in general.

folding a sphere out of paper or cardboard would take a lot longer than a balloon. If you do use a balloon though try to find one that does make a sphere, not a pear shape or other.

I would have to agree with streeper and trint. A balloon does work very well, used one a long time ago when I was in school. But indeed, the trick is to find one that makes a sphere.

I like the idea of using a beach ball that seems like it would work the best.

MY LAST QUESTION (hopefully) How could I make the LED's shine evenly through a clear plastic disk, or some kind of lense, to go in the barrel of the buster?

you could also wet sand said "clear plastic disk" with 2000grit paper to make it diffuse the light, making the entire disk light up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back