Thorssoli's Rvb Reconstruction Caboose Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shade said:
Wow, can't wait too see it by Jan 10' lol. J/K.

At the rate I'm going, you're probably not too far off. I've been concentrating mostly on the rest of my armor, but I'll be back to fairing and detailing it tonight. Thanks for goading me into action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's been long enough since I've updated this project that I've finally resigned myself to the fact that the only way I'll get this helmet done is if I have someone else do it. So, taking a success story from my weapon-building thread, I decided to slice up the model and let Lopez the Robot Whittler have a go at it.

Here's what the top looked like when he was done with it:
5163814044_16dc630f2f_o.jpg

I apparently made a mistake in the slicing process, so the nose end of the helmet ended up a bit wonky. Still, it's a great start and it'll look fine with a bit of bondo:
5163206903_bc9f7909d2_o.jpg

It even fits:
5163814128_9cc6fc249d_o.jpg

Now I need to do some filling and fairing and cut out the hole for the faceshield before I start adding minor details. Still, it's a huge step towards finally making this helmet happen. Maybe I'll actually get it done this year.

Excellent.

I went back through from what your opinion about the HD MK V was from your main thread and I still don't see anything wrong per say but you may be right about the proportions.

The halo 3 version compared to the halo 1 version IS different so you are right. The Halo CE version is more narrow and long when viewed from the side, the Halo 3 version is more round, slightly shorter. I still prefer the the latter, but I will be watching your thread closley on this as I re-do mine.

Great work.

Given the rate at which I've been updating this thread, I'm a little early with this post. Oh well.

I pulled this thing down off the shelf again and cut out the faceshield area. Then I started adding some bondo to the chin section to fix some of the proportion problems I have:
5305783278_32c94404aa_o.jpg

From this angle you can see just how much material I added:
5305783206_2a97f3bea6_o.jpg

After oodles and gobs of filler and hours of sanding, grinding, and filing, I sprayed it with some primer to see just were I stand:
5305783126_30bf215948_o.jpg

It still needs a bit more work:
5305187293_ede36fdf06_o.jpg

But I'm very nearly done with the bondo stage. Then I can get to work on the cheek vents, cut the grooves in the dome, and add all the little details to the back.

Stay tuned...

So I've done a bit more smoothing and fairing and today I cut the cheek vents:
5322346697_7de1c58517_o.jpg

I also gave it a test coat of regulation blue:
5322950182_20137305bf_o.jpg

With the gloss, I'm noticing a few more little bumps and dents in the back of the dome though. Looks like I've got a tiny bit more Bondo work to do.

Then it'll be on to the next step: detailing the back of the neck. Stay tuned...

Wow, three whole days and no comments. Maybe I didn't add enough pictures?

Here's a shot of the shiny blue helmet in daylight:
5331538340_471d4731eb_o.jpg

Once I'd worked out the bumps and dents, I went ahead and sprayed another coat of black primer on all of the parts that will end up black:
5330928111_894be02cbe_o.jpg

Now that it's a little warmer, I'll be heading back to the shop and tinkering with some of the details on the back of the head/neck. I also have to add a bit of a lip to the top of the chin and score all of the panel seams.

Stay tuned...

Wow man, very sweet helmet you've got going there. What did you use to cut the visor out so smoothly? and how'd you get the vents so smooth as well? Those are some of the areas I have the most trouble with <_<

Can't wait to see it finished :D

Wow, that helmet looks a lot like one of the Caboose Helmets I made for a friend of mine. I should totally snap some pictures of it! ;)

Just about finished with the details on the back of the neck:
5374040107_9ce4bd8c90_o.jpg

Now I need to add a bit more material to the back end of the cheek boxes so they'll better match the reference:
5374687838_a33f524224_o.jpg

Stay tuned as my progress crawls along...

Amazing work Thor! Your stuff always just blows me away!

Also, I notice from your reference pic with the side view of your helm, and the side view of the in-game helm, that the in-game helm looks a LOT longer than yours. No fault by you of course, I just imagine the original model wasn't made nearly as long. And it may just be the pics. It just looks very elongated in game, and not nearly as tall and skinny.

And last but not least, AMAZING work on the back details, that just looks absolutely fantastic!

That is looking absolutely sweet dude! Caboose is one of the best characters in the series :D I'm working on a Reconstruction suit at the moment too, we really need to get one of each of the cast together sometime! Hoping to persuade the gf to do Wash so that's 3 covered...

Man Thorssoli, you have done an amazing job on both the detail & helm. What are you using for the detail. I'm still working on my first build and have been using epoxy putty, but i was just curious on what your method is. Keep up the great work!

What are you using for the detail.

In this case I used all sorts of things. The lines are scored in by cutting them first with a hacksaw to make sure they'e straight and then with a jigsaw blade if I need to make them wider.

For the back of the neck, I used scrap bits of styrene and PVC sheets as well as some textured plastic bits I had on the bench wherever I needed to build anything up. For the recessed parts, I was carefully whittling it with the X-acto knife and/or Dremel tool. Once the bulk of it was done, I went over it and puttied up all of the seams and then sprayed it with a couple coats of "truck bed coating" to give it all a matched texture.

I haven't taken any pictures of it since the truck bed coating.

Hey man, those details on the back look stellar! As always this is a wicked build. Scale wise how big is it compared to your mkvi helmet? Is it just me, or in your reference pics does it look like those side vents are slightly flared? Not like CE or reach flared, but a little?

In this case I used all sorts of things. The lines are scored in by cutting them first with a hacksaw to make sure they'e straight and then with a jigsaw blade if I need to make them wider.

For the back of the neck, I used scrap bits of styrene and PVC sheets as well as some textured plastic bits I had on the bench wherever I needed to build anything up. For the recessed parts, I was carefully whittling it with the X-acto knife and/or Dremel tool. Once the bulk of it was done, I went over it and puttied up all of the seams and then sprayed it with a couple coats of "truck bed coating" to give it all a matched texture.

I haven't taken any pictures of it since the truck bed coating.

Thank you for explaining your method on detail, I appreciate it. Keep up the good work. It looks awesome!

Hey man, those details on the back look stellar! As always this is a wicked build. Scale wise how big is it compared to your mkvi helmet? Is it just me, or in your reference pics does it look like those side vents are slightly flared? Not like CE or reach flared, but a little?

Thanks for the kind words.

Compared to my MkVI, this helmet is just as tall. Because of the different shape, the neck hole is about the same size but there's not quite as much room inside.

As far as the chin vents go, I think you're right. I'm actually toying with the notion of cutting them out and rotating them a bit to tip the forward ends in a bit more and tip the rear ends out a tiny bit. It seems easier than trying to grind down the forward ends.

Cutting them out and rotating them is a simple solution. Other than that everything looks stellar. By far the best mkv out there. No question as to your skill sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back