Thorssoli's Rvb Reconstruction Caboose Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorssoli

I had a bit of down time over the past couple of days here in Afghanistan, so I scrounged up some cardstock and printed out FS's Mark V helmet (the Halo 3 version):
Caboose2.jpg

I built it to the default scale (29.0cm build height), so it feels a bit big. I figure that'll change once it's padded out and I've installed a visor.
Caboose1.jpg

I've reinforced the helmet with a few coats of urethane casting resin I have on hand for an unrelated project. I also had blue tint handy, so I added a bit of that to the resin as well. I've ordered a gold visor, so as soon as that shows up it's just a question of installing it and giving it a quick shot of blue paint and I'll be ready to mail it home.

I figure when I get back to the States I'll probably sand it down, add a bundle of bondo, sculpt out a decent-looking set of cheek vents, and I should be able to match the look I'm after perfectly.

Stay tuned...

godsarmor said:
really nice im guessing youre not a noob with pep
No, thor is no noob.

@thorsoli Lookin' sweet. I guess that's a good thing that you've got some time on you hands over there. Sure beats getting shot at every day, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
godsarmor said:
really nice im guessing youre not a noob with pep

This man has mad sculpting and molding skills and is no noob.

thorssoli I want a copy of your boots when you get home there amazing, stay safe

"Not my fault, Tucker did it!" -Caboose Reconstruction Chapter 12. Your doing great, keep it up!

The H3 MkV is much wider when you compare a similar height to a Mk VI. It looks great but before I did all the detailing work I would make sure it doesn't have the NAS bobblehead effect when combined with a suit of armor.

Can't imagine why 29cm was a default though. I did mine at 26.

Anyway I'm sure it'll turn out awesome knowing you thor. We need more H3 Mk V's around here. I think you're only the 3rd one to build one. :D

Sigma-LS said:
The H3 MkV is much wider when you compare a similar height to a Mk VI. It looks great but before I did all the detailing work I would make sure it doesn't have the NAS bobblehead effect when combined with a suit of armor.

Can't imagine why 29cm was a default though. I did mine at 26.

Anyway I'm sure it'll turn out awesome knowing you thor. We need more H3 Mk V's around here. I think you're only the 3rd one to build one. :D
Dont be so sure, I have grown to like Mk V very much...
If my BHoS Build doesn't work up I may give Mk V a go.
Or a complication of H3 Perms to Give the Halo Wars look.

thorssoli said:
I had a bit of down time over the past couple of days here in Afghanistan, so I scrounged up some cardstock and printed out FS's Mark V helmet (the Halo 3 version):

I built it to the default scale (29.0cm build height), so it feels a bit big. I figure that'll change once it's padded out and I've installed a visor.
I've reinforced the helmet with a few coats of urethane casting resin I have on hand for an unrelated project. I also had blue tint handy, so I added a bit of that to the resin as well. I've ordered a gold visor, so as soon as that shows up it's just a question of installing it and giving it a quick shot of blue paint and I'll be ready to mail it home.

I figure when I get back to the States I'll probably sand it down, add a bundle of bondo, sculpt out a decent-looking set of cheek vents, and I should be able to match the look I'm after perfectly.

Stay tuned...
That looks like my unfolding...i meant for it to be make a bit big, you could have scaled it down a little bit...it looks gigantic.

but good, nonetheless...

thorssoli love your work mate! :D

Did anybody realise that this thread is kind of history in the making? :cry:

1. First Helmet constructed whilist on Deployment.

2. He made it IN Afghanistan.
afghanistan_attacks2.jpg

I'm pretty sure no one else has done that! I'd tried to get a friend to do that in Iraq last year, but he was too busy drinking. :cautious:

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
No, thor is no noob.

@thorsoli Lookin' sweet. I guess that's a good thing that you've got some time on you hands over there. Sure beats getting shot at every day, eh?

I'm working at ISAF headquarters in Kabul. Not so much getting shot at here, but plenty of things getting blown up. There's other crazy stuff going on all the time here. The other day I only barely missed a street demonstration in which locals actually attacked an armed convoy and a then some armored SUVs smashing through their armored windows with rocks (which is pretty amazing when you think about it). It started with a car accident and ended up getting a whole lot uglier. You can read the whole story about it BY CLICKING HERE. There's video too.

I was actually on the other side of town for a meeting and lunch. If we'd finished eating just a few minutes earlier I'd've been right in the middle of the whole mess. Instead, I got to camp out on another US base and wait for the streets to clear.

More deadly than the angry crowds here in town are the suicide bombers and car bombs. There's really no shortage of nastiness available. I've been making it a point to post pictures and as many (unclassified) stories of my time here as I can in my blog along with random musings and comical anecdotes when I have them.

rvb4life said:
That looks like my unfolding...i meant for it to be make a bit big, you could have scaled it down a little bit...it looks gigantic.

but good, nonetheless...

I just looked at the file again, and you're right. This is your unfolding and I apologize for not giving you credit. Good job too, it was a pretty easy build. I'm still not sure how I feel about the size. It's about the same size as any standard motorcycle helmet, so it looks big on me. Once I've padded it it'll be a decent fit with plenty of room for electronics. Also, once I've put on all of the armor bulk it'll probably look a bit smaller.

1ManBattalion said:
thorssoli love your work mate! :D

Did anybody realise that this thread is kind of history in the making? :cry:

1. First Helmet constructed whilist on Deployment.

2. He made it IN Afghanistan.

I'm pretty sure no one else has done that! I'd tried to get a friend to do that in Iraq last year, but he was too busy drinking. :cautious:

1. It wasn't a deployment, but while I was out at sea (my regular job) earlier in 2008 I also mangaged to build the pep models for my biceps, 2 sizes of forearms, one calf, one space diaper, and a pair of thighs. You can check those out in my MkVI build thread in the Elite section.

2. In Afghanistan, yes. The problem is that our web service here on base is painfully slow, so whenever I try to download any other .pdo files it tends to time out before I can get them. Oh well. I've got no shortage of models to build in my hard drive already. It also makes posting to the threads and my blog a bit slow and painful.

3. I'd be doing a bit of drinking too if I could, but US Forces stationed in Afghanistan have been forbidden to drink for several months now and it doesn't look like that policy will change soon. It's a bit of a bummer being here in the headquarters compound when all of the other NATO forces are allowed to drink and I have to make do with Dr. Pepper.

Stay tuned.
Rooftopme.jpg

Your work looks good thus far. Yes 29 cm is cool but 27.5cm-28cm would have been about right, all you need now is to see how much your chest piece is dwarfed by the size of your MkV If you don't decide to bulk your armor to match.

Bummer about the booze though but there ain't nothing wrong with a can of Dr. Pep

-Stay well and Godspeed.

Looks like you've been up to some good work thor! I had a skim through your blog, its rather interesting to read about Iraq through the eyes of a soldier, i don't personally know anyone who has served over there, so i only know what little i hear from the media shoving it in my face.

p0rtalman said:
I had a skim through your blog, its rather interesting to read about Iraq through the eyes of a soldier, i don't personally know anyone who has served over there, so i only know what little i hear from the media shoving it in my face.

No, silly, I'm in Afghanistan. And you don't hear much about this one because the media's been focused on Iraq instead. I hear it's because they've got better hotels there...

that would make sense, plus all of the hype about pulling out of iraq thats been going on.

You don't have to credit me, its already in the file :D i just noticed the gridlike layout of the back.

Where do you find the fiberglass and materials in afganistan, or is it just as common as stateside?

rvb4life said:
Where do you find the fiberglass and materials in afganistan, or is it just as common as stateside?

I'm not using fiberglass. I coated the inside of the pep model with urethane casting resin I purchased through www.jgreer.com. So far I haven't been having any of the problems everyone else seems to have with jgreer materials and their prices are the best I've found yet.

Glad to see you well, thor. Nice job on the helmet, I'll agree with everyone else and say it looks a little big, but I'm sure that once you have the bulk of the armor done it'll be just fine. keep it up, stay safe, avoid IEDs and come home soon!

In a way I know how you feel, my Dad is a Chaplain in the army, a few year ago he got deployed to Iraq. He was in a armoured vehicle when a car bomb went off. Everyone made it, except for terrorist ( aka: The Idiot ) who got blown to "Kingdom Come". The man who was there translator got hit by shrapenal, but other than cuts and bruises he made it! ( Thank God! )

But anyway back on subject, and like bloodletter said, "keep it up, stay safe, avoid IEDs and come home soon!"
I'll pray for your safety!

God Bless.

Shade.

After a couple of days of staring at the original I've decided it's too big. Then I resized the Pep model to a height of 26.4cm (10% smaller than the first attempt) and printed it out. Last night I finished the smaller one:
bukket_1188.jpg

I think it's a much better set of proportions for me:
smallermk5bukket1.jpg

And here it is next to the first attmept:
comparitive.jpg

I'll probably coat the new one with urethane resin here in the next day or so.

Stay tuned.

Another Caboose! Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back