Thorssoli's Rvb Reconstruction Caboose Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the one on the right another space marine variant to go with your beaky?

Nope, it's my Donnie Darko bunny mask.

Nah, just kidding. You were right. I modded one of my beaky helmets and used it as a base to sculpt out a Space Marine chaplain helmet:
5431484965_8066329885_o.jpg

The raw sculpt looked okay, but I think it'll be awesome with a decent paintjob and mirrored or faintly glowing red eyes.

Finished half of the mothermolds for both helmets last night:
5468481579_fd74742058_o.jpg

I should have the other half knocked out today and be pulling castings tonight/tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

Mothermolds are all but done:
5469757641_acd968ae99_o.jpg
I still need to do a bit of cleanup and drill bolt holes along the flanges, but they should be ready to make castings tomorrow.

In other news, I've started work on one of these:
5469757233_eaef0a764b_o.jpg

But that should likely be another thread...

The first pull came out of the mold with a minimum of drama:
5473758065_73f53db869_o.jpg

Here's a comparison shot of it next to one of my MkVI helmets:
5474356068_3532623288_o.jpg

It's almost the same height and width, but it's a bit smaller front to back. The neck hole is about the same size.

Next step: building a forming buck so I can make a proper visor for it. Stay tuned...

There is nothing wrong with Dr. Pepper per se. There is something vaguely wrong with the fact that I've been selected for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Commander in the US Navy, I've been in command of ships and people and millions of dollars worth of ordnance and equipment, and I still can't be trusted with alcohol.

See when you say it like that...milllions of dollars worth of ordnance and equipment...no offense to you but I can see why they dont let you drink XD Cause the last thing I would want would be someone with that kind of firepower going on a drinking binge...o.- little scary...
Still, very good work on that redo of Caboose! It looks much better now, though the other, larger, one is more in fitting with Caboose's comical nature imo...Plus it'd be amusing to see you like that, it'd make you look chibi! XD

Pulls look like they came out nice and clean! Random Question. When you use your microballoons, what ratio do you use? Do you add it to part b? And what does it do to the strength of the resin? Would it affect it so you couldn't do a solid cast of your pistol with them?

Pulls look like they came out nice and clean! Random Question. When you use your microballoons, what ratio do you use? Do you add it to part b? And what does it do to the strength of the resin? Would it affect it so you couldn't do a solid cast of your pistol with them?

I start by mixing the resin with a squirrel cage mixer. Then I add pigment as needed to get the color I want. Then I take a 1-cup measuring scoop, ladle out a heaping scoop from my big bag of fluff, and dump it in. If it seems like too little, I add more. I'm really not at all precise with it, but I probably still end up with a resin to fluff ratio of two to one by volume.

The microballoons do make the resin a bit weaker, yes. They also cause the resin to expand a bit as it cures. Not a problem with rotocast parts, but it's potentially a huge problem with a solid casting (such as the pistol) and can cause distortion if the mothermold isn't strong or properly clamped in place.

I realize this isn't much help. Bear in mind that the casting shown in the picture had four layers of resin in it. The first had Cabosil added in order to build a nice, thick layer at the surface. The secone and third layers had 1/32" milled glassfiber added in for strength. The fourth one was the only layer with microballoons added and that was just to make sure there'd be no glassfiber rubbing against the wearer's face. It's cozier that way.

With a composite structure like that, the weakening of the innermost layer isn't that important. I hope this helps answers your question adequately.

Yeah, that helped a lot. Do you know what it is that causes the expansion with the microballoons?

I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say it's heat expansion. When you add microballons, you're essentially adding bubbles. Air expands when it gets warm. The resin heats up when it cures. It all makes sense to me, but I'm still just guessing.

Minor update: Paint.
5532953079_0edf9334ab_o.jpg

That is all.

Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back