Flulia's Mark Vi Armor In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its good to see that you take safety seriously! But you still need a good ventilated room, the resin fumes are heaver then air. This means that you need a ventilator near a room or something, because you need some kind of airflow.

The pep build looks nice and clean. This isn't your first go at pep, or resin is it?

Well, being a Biochemistry major, I take chemical safety extremely seriously. I will be doing everything outside, I just have a respirator because being outside doesn't mean I'm safe from dangerous fumes. This is the second pepped piece I've completed, and I'm halfway through the torso piece. However, this will be the first time I've ever resined something. I think I've read all of the stickies on it like 10 times each. I'm going start on it tomorrow morning :)

Also, this is the color paint I've finally decided on and bought for my armor:

ArmorColor.jpg

Humboldt_spartan said:
now your getting to the dirty part...have fun

Haha, that's inspiring *sarcasm*
But I'm really excited.
Expect a whole bunch of photos tomorrow evening!
And since it is MLK day on Monday, the campus is closed so I don't have to work!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Update: So I froze my bum off this morning to get up early and resin my helmet so it'll havea while to dry. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

DSCN2936.jpg

DSCN2937.jpg

DSCN2938.jpg

I did all of this outside with a respirator, goggles, lab coat, and nitrile gloves :)

I just want to say thanks to everyone here at the 405th for all of your help and thanks to the guys who made these pep files! You guys rock!

Did you have any problems with it curing due to fiberglassing in the cold?

BTW: Doesn't look warped to me, and the photo is at alittle bit of an angle.

Nice Job! Now you get to update your 'armor status' to a resined helmet! And, it looks semetrical to me too. Just bad angle, or lighting. Besides, once you get it painted, no one will be checking it, especually when your walking around in it.

I've been itching to resin my chestpeice, but have been putting it off because of the cold. Maybe I'll just knuckle down and do it tomorow... Congrats on the work!

There's no warping on the helmet anywhere that I see. The table is not even 2 feet high, so I had to bend way down to take the pictures. That's why they're at an angle.

The cold made it dry really slow, and then it started snowing, that didn't help much either. But I left it outside all day and I just brought it inside and attacked it a little bit with a hair dryer and I think it's good. One piece of advice if you're doing it in the cold, wear a pair of gloves under the latex or nitrile gloves. My fingers nearly froze off, haha.

I'm going to pick up fiberglass cloth (forgot to get some), and I'm going to resin the inside tomorrow morning.

*updates armor status picture*

Yay! Thanks for all the support guys!

One last thing, I'm almost done pepping my torso, but I'm afraid it looks too big. I'll post a picture of me in it when I'm done, but the shoulders are really wide on it. I wonder if it's because I'm a girl and I have slender shoulders. . . no deltoid muscles here :) I just wonder if it'll interfere with the shoulders.

Anyway, thanks again!

hey, great job! mabye, just as an idea, a nice desert camo or woodland camo spay paint would be cool! and as a secondary, use tan or dark brown for the desert camo or an olive drab or a dark brown for the woodland? tell me what you think?

Okay, so it was snowing all day yesterday, so I stayed inside and put the fiberglass cloth in. Then, this afternoon I actually put resin on over the cloth on the inside of the helmet. It would've gone better if the resin had not been eating away at my foam brush. Here are some pics.

DSCN2946.jpg

The little black spots everywhere are the pieces of the brush as they fell off :cautious:

DSCN2947.jpg

And here's the poor brush. I got it from the Dollar Tree, so I think I might go back and get some more from Walmart, because those seemed to stay together better. Epic fail. . .

But, whatever, it's resined. Quick question. . . should I put another layer of resin on the outside or should I start the bondo/sanding stage?

lol i used the same "brush's" and the exact same thing happened to me.....they grind out easy enough though..dollar store special is the way to go...and i would do another layer of resin on the inside at least if you want to start to bondo now because putting it on the outside again is just a pain in the tush to sand down.......

Haha, your brushes look worse then mine! Though, I was doing the outside... so I tried to only use a brush per batch of 2 oz at a time. Ye... fun stuff. Looking good though! I would say resin the inside. More weight. More strength. Less problems later. :) As Indian Larry (of motorcycles) used to say: Focus on 'Function' First, and slide 'Form' right up next to it.

its looking good and if you want cheap brushes check auto stores or hardware stores for acid brushes they dont get eatin away by fiberglass and where i live ther about 40 cent a brush

Holy crap Paris. Looking amazing. I wanna see it in person when I come visit again. :p I need to get grinding on mine again lol. I'm slacking like crazy trying to pep the rest of my stuff. Your already ahead of me lol.

keep it up though =D looking good.

You are doing absolutely amazing, keep up the great work. Try using a paintbrush for the resin, won't fall apart on you. You just have to have acetone handy to clean the brush. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back