Mjolnir Mark Vi Armour Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing a practice HD helmet here, which turned out to be too small, I've scaled it up and put all the support struts in.

I also changed the pdo around a bit, moving the position of some of the flaps. I found that my postioning became more accurate when consecutive tabs along an edge alternate between each edge.

My Words of Wisdom<ul>[*]Having the correct tools for the job is very important[*]CA glue is OK until you stick yourself to the model
Which I did, and then stuck it to my cutting mat too :cautious: [*]A hot glue gun is the best investment I've ever made
Hot glue might be hot but it doesn't burn, that's what the glue gun does!!!
Dripping hot glue directly onto your thumb will burn!![*]A pen scores better for valley folds than a knife[*]Always use a knife in the most natural manner possible, pulling the blade towards you[*]The template is not fixed down, so rotate the sheet so that you can use the blade easiest[*]It's mostly better to apply glue to the tabs[/list]What do you think?

gallery_9881_916_444354.jpg

gallery_9881_916_367251.jpg

gallery_9881_916_511258.jpg

gallery_9881_916_415396.jpg

Time taken from printing to finished: 19.5hrs

I made the visor but its only held in place with a couple of pieces of tape, do you guys think its worth fixing it more firmly for resining?

Last edited by a moderator:
im glad to see that there are others out there brave enough to tackle a hi def helmet without any tab numbers on it....."bold and daring , why yes, yes it is"

19.5 hours from start to finish...dam, you must be a speed demon. I'm almost finished with a Flying Squirrel HD helmet and have easily spent twice that amount of time. Of course, I'm using double sided sticky tape, which is probably slowing me down.

Veritech017 said:
Is that your second pep?

It's looking very good.
Cheers, this is only my second pep and I've still got many more to do yet...... I got big plans!! :cool:

Humboldt_spartan said:
im glad to see that there are others out there brave enough to tackle a hi def helmet without any tab numbers on it....."bold and daring , why yes, yes it is"
It was more of an accident that I printed it without tab numbers but I didn't see it as too much of a problem as long as I had the model on the screen in front of me. I started on HD cuz I like a challenge plus I found it the best way to learn quickly

Yttrium said:
19.5 hours from start to finish...dam, you must be a speed demon. I'm almost finished with a Flying Squirrel HD helmet and have easily spent twice that amount of time. Of course, I'm using double sided sticky tape, which is probably slowing me down.
I only worked for upto 3 hours in one go otherwise I started making mistakes. Hot glue really does make it quite quick too.

I think it looks great. I was probably going to attempt my second HD helmet without numbers as well. But I can definitely see this project turning out very well. Keep us posted.

Thanks guys

I've now resined it
med_gallery_9881_916_648864.jpg

and fibreglassed it
med_gallery_9881_916_440874.jpg

but I had some problems whilst fibreglassing!! :cautious:

med_gallery_9881_916_239179.jpg

- - - Please help - - -

A number of bubbles formed under the fibreglass whilst I was putting the resin on, the worst one shown above.

Every time I tried to get the fibreglass to go around a corner it refused to stay stuck to the sides of the helmet. I'd press it down again, add more resin and it'd still come unstuck and just when I thought it would finally stay put I'd leave it to dry only to find a now solid air bubble :mad:

I'm still going to keep going at this one, hopefully bondo will cover up the bubbles, but do you guys have any advice as to how to avoid this happening next time??

MadManInABox said:
- - - Please help - - -

A number of bubbles formed under the fibreglass whilst I was putting the resin on, the worst one shown above.

Every time I tried to get the fibreglass to go around a corner it refused to stay stuck to the sides of the helmet. I'd press it down again, add more resin and it'd still come unstuck and just when I thought it would finally stay put I'd leave it to dry only to find a now solid air bubble :mad:

I'm still going to keep going at this one, hopefully bondo will cover up the bubbles, but do you guys have any advice as to how to avoid this happening next time??

Anybody?? :unsure:

the same thing happened to me in the same spot...just dremel out the raised part...(if it didnt stick it shouldnt be a problem)

I was goign to suggest dremeling it too, then re-resining the bit you cut out do you mind if i ask what scale you used for the helmet? i'm having trouble getting mine right and i'm sick of trial and error!

I think I'll get a can of spray adhesive to glue down the fibreglass before loading it with resin next time then.

And I'll dremel out the bubbles and try to re-resin them with this one, as soon as I can get my dremel back off my dad that is!

Thanks for the advice guys

SpartanG said:
I was goign to suggest dremeling it too, then re-resining the bit you cut out do you mind if i ask what scale you used for the helmet? i'm having trouble getting mine right and i'm sick of trial and error!

I scaled it to 28cm in height, it's still a little tight around my ears when I put it on but I'm gonna cut away the opening in that area so that it's more comfortable otherwise it fits fine.

If you download the models from the forum thread with them on, instead of from the halo costuming wiki, you'll find that there's a very low def size tester for each part.

Robogenisis' Files
Flyins Squirl's Files

I still haven't managed to get hold of my dremel so I haven't been able to make any progress on my helm, hopefully I'll be able to get it this weekend then I'll be able to do a bit more.

In the mean time I have pepped both biceps.

gallery_9881_916_272029.jpg

gallery_9881_916_524205.jpg

gallery_9881_916_623376.jpg

These two took me 17.5 hrs

Ive only peped 1 hd bicep, the right 1, but man, they are a killer for som1 new to peping, i cant start my other 1 unless i hook my laptop to my printer cause our main computer broke :S

For smaller bubbles that pop up, you will want to drill some small holes in the bubble and inject/pour liquid resin inside, then it will be rock solid.

Nice work so far!

12382 said:
cool! are you going to do the whole suit in hd?

yep yep, that's waht I intend on doing :cool:

Skippster86 said:
For smaller bubbles that pop up, you will want to drill some small holes in the bubble and inject/pour liquid resin inside, then it will be rock solid.

Nice work so far!

I didn't think of think, I'll give it a shot.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back