Halo Turret

Status
Not open for further replies.
who all would be interested in one of these if i got it molded up and casted them as kits or should i complete them as full pieces

des0lat3 said:
well i am still somewhat a noob to molding, machining something is easy. but not practical to something like this. i think i could mold every piece except the PVC barrels. i may talk with someone who has done this a time or 2 and see what there thoughts on the whole thing is...

Nah - just have the kit builders supply their own barrels. Just use a standard PVC size so that it can replicated. No sense moulding something that's easier to get off the shelf. That will cut down on the moulding (and shipping) grief and let you offer just the specialty components in the kit. If you decide to move forward and get stuck looking for a moulding partner, I'd be happy to help - just hit me up via PM if you're interested. I'm sure we could work something out...

Besides - someone still needs a Hammer! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
Nah - just have the kit builders supply their own barrels. Just use a standard PVC size so that it can replicated. No sense moulding something that's easier to get off the shelf. That will cut down on the moulding (and shipping) grief and let you offer just the specialty components in the kit. If you decide to move forward and get stuck looking for a moulding partner, I'd be happy to help - just hit me up via PM if you're interested. I'm sure we could work something out...

Besides - someone still needs a Hammer! :D

i may take you up on the molding partner idea. molding something is still somewhat foreign to me. i have watched the videos and all but it is something i havent experienced first hand.. i have a vac table that is an idea maybe for the initial base of this thing. keep the weight down on it..

des0lat3 said:
i may take you up on the molding partner idea. molding something is still somewhat foreign to me. i have watched the videos and all but it is something i havent experienced first hand.. i have a vac table that is an idea maybe for the initial base of this thing. keep the weight down on it..

Slush casting the base may be stronger than anything vac-formed. My guess is that you would still need to back-fill the main body shell with resin for strength anyway. By using resin you could control the thickness at the high-stress grip attachment points. Small pieces of wood embedded in the main body at the attachment points would add a lot of strength and flexibility without adding a lot of weight. This piece is going to have some weight to it no matter how its done, the key will be to minimize it wherever possible. Just let me know if I can help - it looks great so far!

Good Luck!

i am kind of surprised this hasnt been pushed over to the Elite section. oh well though i still have work to be done to it before it gets over there i guess.

des0lat3 said:
well i am still somewhat a noob to molding, machining something is easy. but not practical to something like this. i think i could mold every piece except the PVC barrels. i may talk with someone who has done this a time or 2 and see what there thoughts on the whole thing is...

If it hasn't been said yet, maybe Rube could do it... you saw the job he did on Lee's BR, right?

des0lat3 said:
who all would be interested in one of these if i got it molded up and casted them as kits or should i complete them as full pieces

I would be interested in one of these, i would vote a kit so i could add personal touches, assuming you have a write up on how it goes togeather and i didn't need a machine shop (just regular Household tools). I also vote this for elite, it's very good

SNAFU said:
I would be interested in one of these, i would vote a kit so i could add personal touches, assuming you have a write up on how it goes togeather and i didn't need a machine shop (just regular Household tools). I also vote this for elite, it's very good
dude i just love your name SNAFU=situation normal all f*cked up

C 4468 said:
this is going to be AWESOME!!! you should make it fire real bullets and sell it to the army! lol

nice, i agree, it will give the enemy a daily dosage of lead!

its just so awesome...

... im tempted to just get up and make one now

great work, cant wait to see this completely finished

If you decide to put it on a stand and make it removeable, I have an idea,

they make this tape you're supposed to put on the back of a skateboard

and it makes sparks whenever it touches the ground so what you could do,

is put it on the turret where the turret hooks into the stand so everytime

you yank it off you see sparks :D

sorry guys no update yet. i had a crazy weekend and wasnt able to get into the shop. i might be able to work towards it some tonight and get the barrels and end cap mounted and painted this week. (i hope)

okay so i machined out the center of the end cap to lighten it here are some more pics..

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back