Iron Man Suit *help Please*

Status
Not open for further replies.

antzombie280

Jr Member
EditI will be turning this into a wip as soon as I start

Ok I am 100% sure on sculpting an iron man suit (the entire thing) Im willing to invest up to $500-600 maybe more

I have no experience in sculpting with non sulfur clay but I have sculpted before.

*dont tell me start on something easier because believe me for some reason I am good at everything, have no clue why, I have never done anything and didnt do great at it. My first pep Mark 6 Helmet was the most difficult one and I finished it and it looks great, so help me out as if this wasnt my first time :) thanks*

well If anyone could help me out I need to know some things

If anyone knows some specs of the suit that'd be great too :)
*i have looked everywhere for a blueprint but came up with nothing*

Im starting from scratch, no pep files.

I need to know:
-how much clay i need and what hardness *links would be nice :)*
-What tools I need to sculpt
-What colors I need for painting ect.
-what kind of silicone i need, and how much *links would be nice :)*
-Any other tips that may be useful

For anyone who helps me out thanks alot in advance :)

You can either post on this topic, PM me, or Email me at Antzombie280@yahoo.com

*edit* oh I am doing the Mark 3 Suit from the movie by the way lol

IronMan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing like a good dose of confidence is there? But I would also like this information, I think I'll keep an eye on this thread

Might want to take a look at my ironman thread. There should be some good tips in there.

As for clay, you'll need probably 20+ pounds, especially if you are going to sculpt more than one piece at a time.

Krylon makes a great cherry red that I mixed with a darker burgundy color and then covered with a clear coat.

For the helmet - Symmetry, Symmetry, Symmetry. If its not symmetrical, its not going to look right. Don't rush the helmet.

Yodajammies said:
Might want to take a look at my ironman thread. There should be some good tips in there.
As for clay, you'll need probably 20+ pounds, especially if you are going to sculpt more than one piece at a time.
Krylon makes a great cherry red that I mixed with a darker burgundy color and then covered with a clear coat.

For the helmet - Symmetry, Symmetry, Symmetry. If its not symmetrical, its not going to look right. Don't rush the helmet.

could you post a link of your iron man thread? thanks :)

I also think Im going to buy this

Iron Man Figure

So I have a good model to look at. And If i dont want it afterward I can always sell it on ebay
which believe it or not sell for over $200

Don't waste your money. There is a 20$ ironman toy that is a decent reference, and its not like you can't find refs online.

My thread is 2 or 3 pages back in the molded armor forum. Go find it yourself.

will do thanks, but i did buy that awsome foot tall 1:6 Iron Man replica because I can always resell it on ebay and make a profit.

Plus I preordered it and the price will be going up pretty high once it is released. So i got it for $150 :) and will probably sell it for $200 - $250

Yodajammies said:
Don't waste your money. There is a 20$ ironman toy that is a decent reference, and its not like you can't find refs online.

My thread is 2 or 3 pages back in the molded armor forum. Go find it yourself.

This link will answer your technical questions if you actually try to dig. As for stuff like references you will find a wealth of information if, again, you really dig for it. And from what I understand if you're looking to make a full suit with up to 500-600 (maybe more) dollars than you'd best figure out how to do it on the cheap, 'cuz i can almost assure you that realistically you should be looking into the thousands for accurate cost estimations.

Not saying "do something easier". I'm glad you are good at everything you do; just don't let that confidence obscure your vision of reality :)

Good luck bud.

Good call on picking up the hot toys Iron Man figure. I used the images of the toys quite a bit when I was doing my Mark 3 suit. I bought the 12" hasbro figure and it helped a bit for the general look, but so much detail missing and a bunch of the proportions are off. Here's some nice hi-res photo's that should help you along

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=49732

There was a zip file floating around out there that had a ton of images in it that were great for reference. I don't have the link handy anymore but I'll see if I can dig it up, it was in a thread over on the RPF as well.

Darkfire said:
This link will answer your technical questions if you actually try to dig. As for stuff like references you will find a wealth of information if, again, you really dig for it. And from what I understand if you're looking to make a full suit with up to 500-600 (maybe more) dollars than you'd best figure out how to do it on the cheap, 'cuz i can almost assure you that realistically you should be looking into the thousands for accurate cost estimations.

Not saying "do something easier". I'm glad you are good at everything you do; just don't let that confidence obscure your vision of reality :)

Good luck bud.

I know its going to be hard, and i know it will be expensive but I plan on making it 100% spot on
Once I get the helmet done I will probably sell some pulls to help me out with the costs.

Because although I *can* afford it I'm not neccessarily ready to spend over a $1000 on it lol

thanks for the links by the way :)

Yodajammies said:
For the helmet - Symmetry, Symmetry, Symmetry. If its not symmetrical, its not going to look right.

I've been sculpting for a little while now, and this is a HUGE problem. I've been Googling for what seems like a week, and i can't seem to find anything. Do you have any tips on symmetrical sculpting?

ShadoKat said:
I've been sculpting for a little while now, and this is a HUGE problem. I've been Googling for what seems like a week, and i can't seem to find anything. Do you have any tips on symmetrical sculpting?

I've been practicing that for a while now, and some good ol' sculpting calipers are of great use to me. I try to measure the base that I'm sculpting on with a ruler, too. That helps out getting everything ready in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back