.pep -> 3d Obj,dxf Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yodajammies

Pep-gurus - Is there a way to "unexport" (for lack of a better term) pep back into their constituent 3d model files? Something as simple as a dxf or obj perhaps?

Yes, in the Pepakura program go to:

File -> Export -> 3D Obj with UV info

Be warned though, when you re-import the file back into the pepakura program you'll have to re-unfold it, and the size of the object will be different.

some people dont like to have there files exported back to the 3d models.....kinda stealing

If they are releasing pep files for others to use / modify in whatever way they see fit, there isn't MUCH ground for infringement when using a de-compiled source to create the prop by another method a la milling, 3d printing, etc.

Can't have your cake AND eat it too. :rolleyes

And to back track even further, those that created these high def pep files, most likely started from the base of the 3d model ripped from the game, thus "stealing" from microsoft and modifying the geometry to create their own work.

Of course, just because the pep'ers stole from microsoft, that does not justify secondary theft of their work. SO, public notice: Any 3d modelers who are uncomfortable with me expanding on their "original" material, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can do to work things out.

A for effort Link. ;)

alot or all models on are scratched modeled from the ground up. we take down the one's that have been ripped from the game.....so put that in your pipe and smoke it

This is actually one of the major reasons I don't release pretty much any of the work I do to anyone except personal friends and those that pay me to make them pep files (they're less likely to steal my work)

Your statements about people ripping game models is extremely untrue as well. The majority of modelers that create pep files make their models from scratch. So just basically saying "oh well you made a recreation of something that happens to be copyrighted, so I have full rights to use it however I please" is extremely insulting to those that do make pep files for you.

People on here that create pep files for you do an immense amount of work to create these files for you. FOR FREE. Insulting them by stealing their hard work is hardly a fine thank you for all their hard work.

cgspartan said:
This is actually one of the major reasons I don't release pretty much any of the work I do to anyone except personal friends and those that pay me to make them pep files (they're less likely to steal my work)

Your statements about people ripping game models is extremely untrue as well. The majority of modelers that create pep files make their models from scratch. So just basically saying "oh well you made a recreation of something that happens to be copyrighted, so I have full rights to use it however I please" is extremely insulting to those that do make pep files for you.

People on here that create pep files for you do an immense amount of work to create these files for you. FOR FREE. Insulting them by stealing their hard work is hardly a fine thank you for all their hard work.

if you post it on the internet expect it to get stolen..
if you don't post anything on the internet don't expect to get attention or praise..

idk, its kinda a lose-lose.. but i guess posting stuff is less loosey

you can liek.. use a watermark i guess.. tho that seems... eh

Last edited by a moderator:
TRERIBAD said:
if you don't post anything on the internet don't expect to get attention or praise..

the word ur looking for is catch-22

If you want to post Pepakura projects, but you're really concerned about people tweaking, improving upon, and using your files as a foundation for other models that increase the selection available to 405thers, then simply post your Pepakura files as PDF files. With 5-10 different scales you should be able to make it so there are pieces that fit just about everyone.

cgspartan said:
I don't release pretty much any of the work I do to anyone except personal friends and those that pay me to make them pep files (they're less likely to steal my work)

I hope you're not charging people for unauthorized representations of Microsoft's work. While Microsoft doesn't seem to be as tough as Disney when it comes to defending their copyrights, they do show their teeth every once in a while.

TRERIBAD said:

If someone was making pep files for attention or praise, I'd say they're doing it for the wrong reasons.

It's the same as making the actual costumes. If all you're making your costume for is attention and praise, best find another hobby, this one isn't for you. Should be making the costumes because it's a character, or design, or concept you really like, not because you want others to like you for it.

Same goes for pep work, I personally create pep files for 3 reasons.

1. Because a friend asks me to help them out with a costume
2. Because it's for a costume I'm making
3. Because I'm being paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back