Shellshocker's Mk-vi In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellshocker

Jr Member
Hello everyone~

I'm shellshocker, and I've been waiting to join the 405th since mid January.
I was thinking it was about time there was a new registration ~_~

Anyways, to introduce myself,

I'm 16 years old, and living in the dorms of my high school which is in Alabama
I'm a Korean (I bet I'm the only Korean in this site 'ㅅ'), so my house is in Seoul,Korea.

I've been working with my MJOLNIR armor while I was waiting to register
here's some pictures of them

[attachment=8450:DSCN2105.JPG]

Um... yeah, I know it's just one picture. I just got lazy in taking new pictures of it...

I finished my helmet, the forearms and a hand plate
I don't really have much time in making this, since I'm in the dorms and a student. The progress is kinda slow...

while I was pepping the peices, I just found one little problem.
These peices are so sophisticated and delicate, that I end up with some warps in the results.
I just hope I could go on ok when I resin&paper them...

When I was in korea during the spring break, I found out what I should use for my inner armor.

They're korean sites, but you guys don't really need to read anything, u know...

http://gunvest.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=995 <- gloves
http://gunvest.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=1472 <- something I would use for my neck cover
http://www.bike-net.co.kr/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=2032 <- inner upper top

for the bottom, I just found a pair of hiking pants in a market.

I also have a blog that I'm updating my progress, but it's in korean
blog.naver.com/shellshocker

P.S.

mjolnir_thigh_shellshocker.jpg

I couldn't find the left part of this file.
I found the right in this sight, but the left was only showing errors.
could anybody give me help with this?

shellshocker said:
while I was pepping the peices, I just found one little problem.
These peices are so sophisticated and delicate, that I end up with some warps in the results.
I just hope I could go on ok when I resin&paper them...

Did you use heavy card stock paper or standard printer paper when making the model? If you used standard printer paper, you may want to think about adding extra supports and maybe some sort of spray hardener before applying resin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yttrium said:
Did you use heavy card stock paper or standard printer paper when making the model? If you used standard printer paper, you may want to think about adding extra supports and maybe some sort of spray hardener before applying resin.

I'm using cardstock alright.
My problem is just that, later on, the pieces(and numbers on them) dont match well. And small parts of pieces are hard to glue together, making them warp and have a chain reaction in another 'no fitting well' problem later

I'm finished with pepping one part of the arm.

[attachment=8524:__53356_...DSCN2120.JPG]

[attachment=8525:__53356_...DSCN2123.JPG]

tried it on with my helmet and a black jacket.

u guys thing this is okay with the size?

shellshocker said:
u guys thing this is okay with the size?

It might just be the photo, but the shoulder/bicep piece looks kind of small when compared to the forearm.

DerKraken said:
but the shoulder/bicep piece looks kind of small when compared to the forearm.

Really? Well, it kinda does, when you see the picture on the bottom, but I think it looks okay when you see the one on top.

I know this is one of the hundreds of armor making threads in this site, but it is my first time, and I could really use some encouraging comments ye know...

sorry about the double posting..

and I really still need the other part of the HD thigh piece...

Ok, after I had to go to The Summit with my friend, I started resining & fiberglassing.
It was about 5 o clock.

Since I was trapped in campus, I went somewhere near our school's lake so the toxic resin won't harm a bunch of people

and I just learned a lesson.

"Don't resin the outside & fiberglass the inside in the same time!"

I know it is stupid, but I just found myself doing it, and I had a large sacrifice and havok of mess...

One of the biggest problams were that since it's Fiberglass cloth, the 'fibers' were sticking all over. So it forced me to throw a way the plastic mat, 7 pairs of Latex gloves, few bowls I used for resin mixture and a cheap paint brush. I probably have some on the piece itself. Guess I have to sand it or something...
And I dabbed a whole bunch making it a mess inside.
Also the Respirador, it says it is a respirador, but it just looks like a dust mask with a small filter on it. I'm not even sure if i'm using the right thing 'ㅅ'

[attachment=8528:DSCN2127.JPG]
[attachment=8527:DSCN2126.JPG]
[attachment=8526:DSCN2125.JPG]

right know, I'm drying in front of my dorm's door, with a big 'DO NOT TOUCH'

But it's windy and it's making me check if it didn't roll down every 10 minutes or so...

You think it will dry by tomorrow morning?

it should be dry, it gets kinda hard to tell tho, it really depends on the amount of hardener you mixed with the resin and the weather its drying it, i had one piece take 3 days to dry because i didn't use enough hardener and the weather was wet and cool, all in all tho, looks really good. also, i think the bicep may look smaller from the front because it is usually next to the chest piece, the forearm is always out by itself, i say this because i ran into the same thing on mine, i scaled both pieces to fit me, and the bicep looks smaller than it should be, so unless both of our proportions are terribly screwed up you should be fine :)

Wow nice job so far keep up the good work and in no time you will be making armor with ease I'm sure! And don't dwell on the whole mess up with the fiber cloth/resin accident you learn by trial and error so if you didn't know well know you know! :lol:

Syphon said:
it should be dry, it gets kinda hard to tell tho, it really depends on the amount of hardener you mixed with the resin and the weather its drying it, i had one piece take 3 days to dry because i didn't use enough hardener and the weather was wet and cool, all in all tho, looks really good. also, i think the bicep may look smaller from the front because it is usually next to the chest piece, the forearm is always out by itself, i say this because i ran into the same thing on mine, i scaled both pieces to fit me, and the bicep looks smaller than it should be, so unless both of our proportions are terribly screwed up you should be fine :)

This place is quite hot in the day since it's Alabama. It's just that I'm worried about rain, cuz it just stormed during the last 2 days or so. Well, it does look okay right now.

DeadPool said:
Wow nice job so far keep up the good work and in no time you will be making armor with ease I'm sure! And don't dwell on the whole mess up with the fiber cloth/resin accident you learn by trial and error so if you didn't know well know you know! :lol:

You are definately right~! Trial and Error. I was expecting and hoping it throughout my building progress anyways

Just something that has nothing to do with the WIP threat due to boredom...

http://cafe.naver.com/oktaesokkk/49383

these are pictures of a MC costume in Korea. Microsoft Korea was doing this event to advertise the release of Halo3 in 2007, making this guy wander in the streets with his costume on.

You could see that the details are kindda different from the actual suit, but who cares :)

bit of update in progress... even though it isn't much. cuz I was busy with school work.

DSCN2144.jpg

finished with the boot piece.

and I have a question.

DSCN2159.jpg

this is my frontarm piece resin and fiberglassed, and you could see that the hole doesn't look so round.

should I just use it after cutting it larger with a rotary tool, or should I make a new one?

actually, I am kindda having a problem with the pictures

if I link them from some where else, it won't show up

If I try to upload them straight, it says like the single maximum upload is like 500bytes ~ 2 kb or something

DSCN2165.jpg

so this is the solution I got with my bended helmet. It worked quite well then...

DSCN2166.jpg

and this was a idea of hangs for my boot pieces made out of cloth hangers, but it found out to become a fail, cuz they were too weak.

Because I'm an international student, and I live in the school dorms and have no garage, in order to do the resin and glassing, I have to go to this place next to the lake(in the school) so I don't harm other students.
I didn't managed to bring back the resin-glazed pieces in front of the dorm to dry it, so i just left if where I did the process, and it got some dust on it...

these are the pictures of my resin glazed pieces

DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

I realized that the tape I used to fix the bend was off course a little, and the brim is kindda warped to...
I'll somehow have to manage this...

DSCN2177.jpg

pieces of my boots.

and I have a question.
when the resin dries, is it supposed to make the cardstock rigid?
cuz my parts aren't stiff at all, but just cardstock stiffness with a coating of resin on it...

and I'm asking the question of my forearm again, since nobody answered it...

DSCN2159.jpg

this is my forearm piece, and it's warped. you guys think I could just use it with a bit of cut off, or should I make a new one?

hey dude looks like your making some progress here... every thing but what you have already mentioned seems good , and my only advice that i can give is one my first helmet , i let it sit in the window on a warm day behind glass and it managed to get warm enough for me to bend some of the warpage out of it (i did end up throwing that helmet out , only because it was the wrong paper to begin with) but ive notice with most things that , object+heat=pliability ,im not telling you to light it on fire or any thing (wear a respirator if you do lol) but or even if some one in your house has a hair dryer , it should work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back