Marine Helmet/armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

Ok as soon as I flipped through the art of halo book it was like a toy catalog for a kid at christmas lol. I had several items I had to try. First being my pilot then the ODST but theres no way Ill shame myself trying to match the ODST that has been built and cast. (Will be trying to get one off rube soon I hope) So to the next choice ...................Enter the Marine concept from H3.

sorry for the pic of a pic but I dont have a scanner.

P3260276.jpg

I started in the usual way salvaging the headform and clay from the pilot sculpt (notice the multicolor clay in some pics). After I covered the form top to bottom I started building it up with the idea of cutting it down or carving it to shape. Then I realized how much clay I needed and decided to just add and sculpt as I went along. I find if you keep a small pot of water on a pot warmer next to your sculpt you can just toss the clay chunky style in it for 30 sec or so and it comes out nice and smooshy lol, Plus its oil clay the water just runs off and dosent bother anything. The best advice I can give is go to hobby lobby and pay the $10 for a set of cheap sculpting tools. I did and it didnt make me a better sculpter by any meens just a faster road to your finished part.

Where I stand at the moment I had to hit it with a little primer so you could see the detail, it will wipe off during the texturing and smoothing.

P3270277.jpg

P3270278.jpg

P3270279.jpg

Cheers!

You're like a machine, man... :eek:

Looks great - I'll be interested to see what it looks like next to the standard marine when it's completed!

AMAZING you never stop making these things im envious i wish i could do this stuff but sadly my hand never make work of art just...... Well off that it looks good and hope to see more

With all the work on the new E-zine format I haven't been keeping up with the forums. I come in a look and see this beauty. Awesome work man. Do you plan on adding the chinstrap to the helmet when it's cast and finished?

MUST SCULPT ALL HELMETS.... MUST SCULPT ALL HELMETS.....

Nice work man, you are a machine on a mission.

What artbook do you have?

zabicvamic said:
wow did you use clay, and do you have any pics of the marine flight helm

Which one is the flight helmet? I have finished the Pilots helm if thats what your talking about.

pilot3.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys I hope to have some more updates for yall after I get off work tonight.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I wish I had your skills. The only way I can get that level of detail is with bondo and a lot of sanding.

All you're using there is oil based clay? Mad skills man. Wonderful job.

Well a small update Im pretty much down to smoothing it all out and adding the section lines and hardware. Then Ill start prepping it for the moulding process. My wife snapped a couple pics of me working on it earlier trying to get all the surfaces really smooth and line free. I found by trial and error if you shoot a little primer on the clay and softly work it with a feathering tool it's a heck of alot easier to get it perfectly smooth.

P3290008.jpg

P3290009.jpg

P3290010.jpg

Cheers!

Sweet! That's crazy how smooth it is. I'm going to make a marine helmet via pep, but I don't know how to scale it so unless I figure something else out I'm just going to go without scaling. Any ideas?

Try the scaling sticky in the pep area It helps alot. HonestlyI hate building pep parts with a passion so Im really not the one to give advise on it lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back