Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished applying the first coat of resin to my helm! I'm excited! Not too difficult at all, thanks to this Tut! I love this site! Just a few tips...GET A RESPIRATOR!!! Thankfully I have a few, but I took it off for a second and, whoa! I could see how that would cause some damage to the lungs! I used the Bondo brand Fiberglass Resin as recommended my the original poster, and it was a breeze. But for those of you who don't/can't/not allowed to use fiberglass resin, or want something that is safe, non-toxic, non-corrosive, I recommend Weldwood brand Plastic Resin Glue. Its safe, easy, and all you do is add water. I used it on an Iron Man Pep helmet I made, and it worked nicely. 2-3 coats of that should be pretty comparable to the bondo stuff, just maybe not as strong. (I just wanted to use the fiberglass resin for the ODST helm to compare...)

Oh, and take your time! Especially with the Pepakura process. The more of a perfectionist you are at the early stages, the better the end result will be. I have been doing pepakura and papercraft for a while, but this is my first big project.

Done with resining and glassing my helm! what a difference in strength! Check out my gallery for the photos, let me know what you think!

hello all

in this forum i have read only about fiberglass resin (its epoxy resin),

but didnt find any information about polyester resin. why nobody use it?

its much cheaper, not so toxic, drys a litle longer (an hour or so) and is hard as it can be, i have mde 2 helmets with polyester resin and its holds great.

I remember seeing a video with SkullCandyGirl and she mentioned using Aqua Resin for the outside and inside coatings as well as faiberglass matte on the inside for the reinforcement. Looking it up, I saw that it's like polyurethane resin but without the temperature guidlines.

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/CastingMaterials/ENHANCEDGYP/aqua-resin.html

I plan on going with this product, but would like to hear from someone else who has first before diving right into the final stages of my armor.

Edit: Here's the video I found the material list on http://www.instructables.com/id/Build_Halo_Armor/

ok this may be a stupid thing to ask but once your up to the fiberglass point do u remove the pepakura part or does that just remain in the helm? :eek

spartan-381 said:
ok this may be a stupid thing to ask but once your up to the fiberglass point do u remove the pepakura part or does that just remain in the helm? :eek

Once you get the fiberglass done the 'glass and the cardstock are one

Last edited by a moderator:
d taktics said:
I resigned and it literally made no difference in the stiffness of the paper. Why is this?

It takes a few layers in order to get it to stiffen up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry everyone, just being another noob. I have just finished pepping my first Master chief style helmet. And i want to make sure i have this right

now that ive pepped i have too:

1. Resin

2. Glass the INSIDE?

3. Bondo the OUTSIDE?

can someone send me a link to help me with the visor please? does that go in after all the resining and glass?

thanks for everyones help.

You put small portions of Bondo on the bumpy/uneven parts oon the outside to fill it out. Then sand it until you get it at a nice smoothness (using 80-380 grit sand paper).

Cheers, Dave.

What do I do to the inside of my helmet after I fiberglass it? I know Bondo goes outside, but I haven't read anything about what to do with the inside after fiberglassing it.

Can somebody tell me if its better to give it a clearcoat first to prevent the cardstock from warping? Or is it safe to just apply the resin?

Can somebody tell me if its better to give it a clearcoat first to prevent the cardstock from warping? Or is it safe to just apply the resin?

You can do a clear coat of some kind if you like, but it is not required. It's suggested to resin the pepakura piece in sections though... I do it all at once and i haven't had (much of )) a problem but...
'
Hope it helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back