Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend it as a safety precaution due to the irreparable damage that can occur if something gets trapped between your cornea and contact lens.

Q

So after I do every thing in the tut, then what? Do I have to put something ontop of that? Or do I just spray paint it?

You need to have a respirator for both resining and glassing, the toxic smell comes from the resin, not the fiberglass cloth.

I've been trying to locate a place where I could get some fiberglass resin and the materials... I've seen respirators at a Local Ace hardware but I can't find where I can get resin... Would Menards or HomeDepot have some?

Jay, please do not double post.

And use the Search feature to find your repirator.. I've posted this like 6 times in the forums..

Damien said:
work + no respirator = future health problems

i dont know man , i just did all of my work outside without any respirator and i was fine when i was done with it....still isnt the best idea though, Dallis

Last edited by a moderator:
Important cautions for working with adhesives, paints, & solvents:

Never ever wear contacts when dealing with these items, not only can particulates get under the contacts but solvents may soften the contacts or possibly weld the contacts to your eyes.

Is it worth loosing your eyesight for ignoring?
I mean, no more Halo, no more checking out the snazy armors.

And just because you feel fine now doesn't mean you won't suffer later, some particulates will become imbedded in your lungs & start causing microscopic cuts in them. The one hears about most is Mesothelioma caused by asbestos, but other materials can cause similar effects, and definately won't be fun when you start getting older.

Cha*man said:
Important cautions for working with adhesives, paints, & solvents:

Never ever wear contacts when dealing with these items, not only can particulates get under the contacts but solvents may soften the contacts or possibly weld the contacts to your eyes.

Is it worth loosing your eyesight for ignoring?
I mean, no more Halo, no more checking out the snazy armors.

And just because you feel fine now doesn't mean you won't suffer later, some particulates will become imbedded in your lungs & start causing microscopic cuts in them. The one hears about most is Mesothelioma caused by asbestos, but other materials can cause similar effects, and definately won't be fun when you start getting older.

How did you get so damned smart :eek: omg thank you so much ahah i dont have contacts but i'de still rather be safe then sorry, i hope everyone knows that saying haha and thanks again Cha*Man it helps alot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Training, I was in the Navy and my first job was in airframes. I learned metalwork, fiberglassing, painting, and repair techniques. We also had safety drilled into us. Sometimes we try to be too safe; but it's better to be safe then dead or blind (heck, I'd rather be dead then blind; I have great respect for those that loose their sight and continue to find joy)

I all honesty, in a four year period I only had to fiberglass 4 or 5 times and recreate a metal part twice; I did a lot of paint work my last year, which involved too much sanding (I hate the polyurethane they use on jets) compared to the amount of painting I got to do. The rest of my time was spent performing maintenance, most of it planned.

A couple things I did learn for painting: a light mist for the first couple coats gives the later coats a good bite, don't rush it (but don't linger either); plan your painting before you start (this helps you plan for how much paint you need for the project).

Oh, if the paint smells like bananas (2 part polyurethanes), stop. This stuff is nasty and Navy regulations require a forced air respirator. I don't care if someone else says you'll be fine, this stuff can cause damage llike asbestos does, and you won't know it's killing you until 20 or 30 years later.

how long does it take for it to dry and what is best time of day to do ti and should i let it dry in the sun,shade, or inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back