Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to harden depends on a number of factors: temperature, humidity, additions to the base (fillers or dyes), ratio of hardener used, and type of resin.
the containers or kits insstructions should give you a rough estimate if you use the recomended ratio of hardener at a given temperature.
It should also tell you wharn not to use it (upper and lower temp limits)
the higher the ambiant temp, the faster it should cure; do not leave it in direct sunlight, this will give you an uneven cure.
Also, hot mixing (adding more hardner then neccessary) can make it cure faster, but it can also make it more brittle
cover it (with a box to keep your coat clean) and leave it in the shade; mainly to keep the fumes out of living areas

If it's still tacky past the cure point, give it about 25% more time (that's an additional 15 minutes for each hour stated)
you can talc the part or brush a very light coat of hardener.
If your hardner is a paste, there may be ways to thin it (will be described on the container or instructions for the kit), or you can try to find a liquid hardener for your resin (a kit will tell you what you need)

I concurr with cha. Besides what he said also you have no idea what the chemicals in the stuff your useing will do. Sure it might do jack if you breath it in but it might also kill you 30 years before your time. Old Railroad workers have cancer alot because of rockdust. they didnt use safety masks. If rocks can do that imagine what something you cant even pronunciate will do.

hey, is all-purpose fiberglass resin the same thing as regular fiberglass resin? i have no clue, i just dont get the all-purpose word.

I'm like a noob and I am just getting to the resining part now. I am cheap and i wanted to know if you have to use a new brush and little black sponge thing for every piece. like, does resin come out of those things easily? I won't do anything until i get something. Don't wanna screw up anything. please like PM me. Just bombard me with them!!! Thanksssssss!
By the way:
:tutu: JIM CAREY

How long does it take to cure it anyway?
If you use the standard mix (12 drops hardener: 1 oz. resin) in 70F weather, it usually cures in around 2hrs. In my experience it stays a little tacky, but baby powder fixes that right up.

will a dust-mask (particle mask... just one of the simple dome ones) work?
Get a full blown respirator with cartridges. A particle mask won't protect your little lungs from the nasty resin fumes. (and hey, it looks cool.)

InvisibleMan said:
I'm like a noob and I am just getting to the resining part now. I am cheap and i wanted to know if you have to use a new brush and little black sponge thing for every piece. like, does resin come out of those things easily? I won't do anything until i get something. Don't wanna screw up anything. please like PM me. Just bombard me with them!!! Thanksssssss!
By the way:

You could clean up resin with Acetone if it's something really important you'd like to keep, but it's really not worth saving cheap brushes.

I suggest buying some disposable bristle brushes (i believe the sponge variety turns to mush from the resin). I bought like 10-12 brushes when I did my armor (like $10). Saves you time too :)

:devil:
-Vex

Last edited by a moderator:
it shouldn't... i hear electrical tape doesnt dissolve in resin. i have a little tape where there r delicate joints but not enough to make my armor collapse if it dissolves.

a question... will resin dissolve stick glue?

PART 2: FIBRE GLASSING

***Take the usual precautions as above; work in a well ventilated area, cover your work space, wear a respirator, and so on.

Now after that has been done get your tools and materials ready(again)
MVC-469F.jpg

MVC-467F.jpg

After you have your tools and materials ready go ahead and lay out your fibre glass sheet
MVC-471F.jpg

Next you want to cut your sheet in half
MVC-472F.jpg

After you have your sheet cut in 2 fold up one half and put it to the side for the time being.

With the half sheet you have in front of you cut it in half again, then cut half of that in half(too many halfs, lol)
It should look something like this:
MVC-473F.jpg

Now it is time to cut the sheets into strips for easier workability.
Try and aim for strips roughly 3" wide.
the long ones should be approximately 3"x14" and the short ones 3"x8"
After that stack them together
MVC-474F.jpg

Now take your piece (helmet in this case) and set it on your table.

Use some tape to make any nessecary adjustments. (had a slight bow in my visor)
MVC-470F.jpg

***Sorry for lack of pictures right here but resin dries quick so i had to hurry it up. (you'll see y)***

Now it is time to choose where to start. I suggest the center of the helmet and then work out from there.

Take your brush and spread some resin from the front center of the head to the back center.

Now take one of the longer strips and lay it parrallel with the top of the head.

Move quickly hear and pour some resin from the front to the back of the head and then brush it in. (fibre glass will stick to brush)

When the fibre glass turns brownish like the resin

At this point the first piece will look something like this.
MVC-477F.jpg

MVC-480F.jpg

Now brush some more resin next to the piece you just laid and then lay another long strip on either side of the center one. Aim for about 1/4"-1/2" overlap as in pictured below.
MVC-478F.jpg

Keep doing this using the different sizes where you deem them fit until the entire helmet is covered.

I recommend doing the entire thing in sections so that it is easier to handle and your resin doesn't end up like this.
MVC-482F.jpg

XXXXX--->CAUTION IF THIS HAPPENS CO NOT TOUCH THE RESIN OR CONTAINER WITH YOUR BARE SKIN, The resin is chemically reacting and is VERY HOTT!!!<---XXXXX

Which ones cant you see the initial resoning ones, fibreglassing, or both? I think i know what it might be but please help me narrow it down.

I can see them fine so i will work on getting them back up for you guys.

Does anyone have a good substitute for fibreglassing? It's not easy to get neither a full respirator, nor fibreglass cloth here in finland....

Or the resin, for that matter.....
:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back