Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long Shot said:
Which ones cant you see the initial resoning ones, fibreglassing, or both? I think i know what it might be but please help me narrow it down.

I can see them fine so i will work on getting them back up for you guys.

I can't see any of them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devilsson2010 said:
I can't see any of them at all.

I'll get links reposted in about 20min so let me know if it works.
I'm only goin to do it with the fibre glassing part first as a test, if it works lmk and i will do the rest.

Here is some info on my fiberglassing experience:

I have finished my pep armor and have on 1 coat of resin on most peices (2 on the helmet)

Just to let you know I spent over $100 on the fiberglassing materials so far.

I bought the Large Bulk amounts because it would be a lot cheaper in the long run I figured I would need it to complete a whole suit. I found a place that sold only Fiberglass and plastics (FiberTek)

http://www.fiber-tek.com/

They were a lot cheaper than any of the retail places (50% cheaper) so look around an check prices.

The 5.9 oz cloth was the best bang for the buck, the lighter stuff was going to be too weak.

Also use the unwaxed resin, it drys tacky so multi layers will stick together. The waxed type is for final gloss coats only.

Heres my breakdown:

3 L of resin $50.00 Hardener $6.00 ( 1 L will only be enought to do the Helmet)

2 Yards of 5.9 oz cloth (36" wide) $15.00 ( I will probably need more )

Gloves and Brushes $15.00

3L of Bodyfiller and hardener $25.00

I will post pics of my suit soon.

Hope this helps

Wombat

I can't see the resining pics either. Without fiberglass, I don't think you can sit down in it, but I guess it would still look ok.

Thanks, now that i know it works i will have the resining part up before 9:30

Good luck to all of u and i'm here if u need assistance.

Zyclone said:
Does anyone have a good substitute for fibreglassing? It's not easy to get neither a full respirator, nor fibreglass cloth here in finland....

Or the resin, for that matter.....
:mad:
Yeah..... you're pretty much screwed.....

Zyclone said:
Does anyone have a good substitute for fibreglassing? It's not easy to get neither a full respirator, nor fibreglass cloth here in finland....

Or the resin, for that matter.....
:mad:

its called ebay. hey, your further than me. i dont even have any money.

i dont know if doing all this is really worth it. i thouught it was way simpler

My helmet was resined earlier this week and it's still wet in some places. Did I not use enough hardener for that batch? Any remedies or tips for that?

FlaymSior said:
My helmet was resined earlier this week and it's still wet in some places. Did I not use enough hardener for that batch? Any remedies or tips for that?

The reason it is still wet is because the harder wasn't properly mixed throughout. If you put baby powder on the sticky spots and put it in the sun that should take care of this.

Long Shot said:
The reason it is still wet is because the harder wasn't properly mixed throughout. If you put baby powder on the sticky spots and put it in the sun that should take care of this.
You could also blow dry it... Or you could put another coat on with a tad extra resin... It should make it dry up... Make sure not to put too much though or else it will start hardening in you container and you'll end up with clumps...

Best thing to do with resin imho is just follow the directions on the can. For the bondo brand, they say for 1 ounce of resin, 12 drops of hardener. Just put 1 ounce of resin in your tin foil container, 12 drops of hardener, mix, brush. If you need more, mix up another batch of resin/hardener. Cures clumpy in about 10 minutes...so you've got ample time to work. Cures solid in about 3 hours.

So if i have like bubbles inn my fiberglass (i.e. a place where it didnt go all the way into a corner) what should I do? (the glass is fully cured)

blakiki said:
So if i have like bubbles inn my fiberglass (i.e. a place where it didnt go all the way into a corner) what should I do? (the glass is fully cured)

Let it harden, drill a hole into the bubble, and inject more resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back