Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've just read through this tutorial and now when i get my materials i will be alot more comfortabel doing ths now thanks =].

i was about to start resining, but my model got to flimsy when i re-enforced it... good thing i decided to reinforce it first before i wasted like 20 bucks. well anyways, im buying some 110 cardstcok tomorow. after i piece it up, im gunna go durrectly in resing if i have a few hours. im gunna take my time.

ÐEADLY™ said:
i was about to start resining, but my model got to flimsy when i re-enforced it... good thing i decided to reinforce it first before i wasted like 20 bucks. well anyways, im buying some 110 cardstcok tomorow. after i piece it up, im gunna go durrectly in resing if i have a few hours. im gunna take my time.

If you choose to move slower while resining just make sure you mix a bit less hardner so that it doesn't dry too quickly on you

Last edited by a moderator:
Zigee said:
You got the wrong kind of bondo. That's glass cleaner..... Anyway the bondo you want to use is like putty. But I guess the other items would work. Oh yeah and I have a question. I thought you were suppose to only fiberglass the inside and resin the outside, to avoid unnescessay sanding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Long Shot @ Oct 6 2007, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>***Sorry for lack of pictures right here but resin dries quick so i had to hurry it up. (you'll see y)***

Now it is time to choose where to start. I suggest the center of the helmet and then work out from there.

Take your brush and spread some resin from the front center of the head to the back center.

Now take one of the longer strips and lay it parrallel with the top of the head.

Move quickly hear and pour some resin from the front to the back of the head and then brush it in. (fibre glass will stick to brush)

When the fibre glass turns brownish like the resin

At this point the first piece will look something like this.
MVC-477F.jpg

MVC-480F.jpg

Now brush some more resin next to the piece you just laid and then lay another long strip on either side of the center one. Aim for about 1/4"-1/2" overlap as in pictured below.
MVC-478F.jpg

Keep doing this using the different sizes where you deem them fit until the entire helmet is covered.

I recommend doing the entire thing in sections so that it is easier to handle and your resin doesn't end up like this.
MVC-482F.jpg

XXXXX--->CAUTION IF THIS HAPPENS CO NOT TOUCH THE RESIN OR CONTAINER WITH YOUR BARE SKIN, The resin is chemically reacting and is VERY HOTT!!!<---XXXXX</div>

you shouldn't fiberglass the outside, you lose detail.

feigned-echo said:
you shouldn't fiberglass the outside, you lose detail.

It's personal preferance really, besides u can always sand them back in.

Zigee said:
so what type of fiberglass resin shoudl i get at acehardware?

Get exactly that fibre glass resin (liquid not jelly)

Zigee said:
what shop sells fiberglass? (the cloth)

I am curious about this as well, I searched Lowes' and Home Depot's sites and got no results...

ok i went to the store and obugh5t the same thing you have but its called Bondo Fiberglass Resin JELLY. it looks nothing like yours because yourse it a golden gluey paste. mine is very dark blue like mud kindda. and it is very think. when i sanded it it looked like concrete. what do i do now?

P32 said:
I am curious about this as well, I searched Lowes' and Home Depot's sites and got no results...

Walmart- automotive department or any automotive store should handle it

cheech92007 said:
ok i went to the store and obugh5t the same thing you have but its called Bondo Fiberglass Resin JELLY. it looks nothing like yours because yourse it a golden gluey paste. mine is very dark blue like mud kindda. and it is very think. when i sanded it it looked like concrete. what do i do now?

I have never personally worked with the resin jelly before but i will assume that you use it in the same way as the regular resin with fibre glass.

P32 said:
To those that have purchased their fiberglass online, where did you order it from and what was the price like?

If i remember correctly the website is fibreglast.com or something like that. They have a wide selection of fibre glass, Carbin fiber, and kevlar materials

TacNiNE said:
So whats the difference in glassing the outside vs the inside? Preference or do they do two different things?

Preference- it would reinforce the cardstock just as much. However, fibreglassing the inside won't affect the appearance while fibreglassing the outside would make you lose a lot of the helmet's details and just overall make it more difficult to get a really nice, polished look on your armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back