Shield Recharging Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kojialaric

Let me know if this has been done before...

I had an idea for an interesting addition to one's armor. If you carved narrow channels and embedded a yellow EL Wire in a random design all over your armor, wouldn't it give off the illusion that your "shields" are "recharging"?

Yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot of work on top of crafting your suit and the EL Wire and power inverters needed would get pricey, but it seems as if it might add a nice touch?

L.L. Church said:
Let me know if this has been done before...

I had an idea for an interesting addition to one's armor. If you carved narrow channels and embedded a yellow EL Wire in a random design all over your armor, wouldn't it give off the illusion that your "shields" are "recharging"?

Yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot of work on top of crafting your suit and the EL Wire and power inverters needed would get pricey, but it seems as if it might add a nice touch?

I've never seen this idea before; I'm surprised no-one's ever mentioned it before (as far as I know)

Shields recharging are one of the most important aspects of the game, and appear to have been completely overlooked! I think this is a brilliant idea, and you should definitely try it! Who knows, if it works well, you could set the trend for a whole new range of armour!

Hope to hear more about it,

=Ω24= Leyton

Last edited by a moderator:
when i first read this i thought it would never work but i looked up el wire realised how well it would actualy work, the only problem is when its off it wouldnt have as much esthetic appeal, theyre may be a way around that im not sure, you should go for it you would be the first to do it you know that right?

two problems
-hell lot of work
-it might not even look like recharging armor cuz there's tons of yellow lines while recharging. And some people might not even know what the yellow things are...

but still, it does sound like a good idea

@ Tuwd: Yeah, I know that it really wouldn't look that great if the lights were off, but for the purposes of this "test" we'd be assuming that the lights would be on whenever anyone else was looking at you. I would love to be the first one to do this, but I'll have to ask if the more seasoned armor makers give this one a shot. I'm currently without bondo-ed armor to test this on (my armor is vacu-formed plastic) and I'm too short on cash... I'm having to save whatever I do get for my wedding coming up in May. :D

@Shell: Yeah, this would be a very labor-intensive work, but I do believe that there'd be a big payoff at the end. As for having people not knowing what it is... if they don't know the armor, they won't get it, but if they do, all you have to say is, "I was hit...". Hehe.

i use alot of el wire in my attraction , the power needed isnt much to pull off this effect at most a 9v pack with the controller .. live wire is verry ez to work with , [ if anyone needs help ] drop me a line !/ on the line of dammage , im setting up my armor with tonns of it[ie spark emulators / and fire light ..

Spawn Camp3r said:
to make it work you would have to be able to program the lights to start at the bottom and flash all the way up
live wire has an animation light pack that can do

I don't think it'd have to go from top to bottom... maybe just a slow flashing, because I'm not really thinking of making it THAT complicated. :D

This would be a good idea if you executed it well, as with anything, but it could also turn out looking really weird with all the lights off and just wires around your armor.

#1, this the one of the greatest ideas ever! I never thought of that!

#2, try to make the lights as unnoticeable as possible.

#3, cant waight to see some progress if you decide to do this.

#4, CHRISTMAS LIGHTS FTW!

Y not get someone to "shoot" you. Just give then a magnum and say oh no, you shot me
Or you could "duel" with someone else

you could achieve the effect with fibre optics cast into a clear resin layer possibly, the fibre optics would be thin enough to not subtract from the armors overall look too much and with some good leds could be really nice

Look at this cough yeah christmas tree to see what i mean
http://www.gardensite.org.uk/worldofchrist...mage003-big.jpg

Beauty of it is it could be done fairly cheaply this way im betting you could even buy a fibre optic chrimbo tree and hack it up.

I really like this idea, and if someones worried about aesthetic value, maybe there's a way you could use the detailing lines in your armor to sort of conceal the strips/leds until you turned them on. Also get a speaker with the recharge sound file playing when you do that. Really hope to see if someone does this.

whiterabbit1985 said:
you could achieve the effect with fibre optics cast into a clear resin layer possibly, the fibre optics would be thin enough to not subtract from the armors overall look too much and with some good leds could be really nice

Look at this cough yeah christmas tree to see what i mean
http://www.gardensite.org.uk/worldofchrist...mage003-big.jpg

Beauty of it is it could be done fairly cheaply this way im betting you could even buy a fibre optic chrimbo tree and hack it up.

Oh gosh! That looks like it would work perfectly. Someone has to try this.

Seems a pretty neat idea, but there are a few problems:

1. How will you get the effect without making it look like a bunch of lights strapped to your armour?
2. What will be the power source?
3. Finnaly, although it might be rare, there is the chance of overheating.

I don't want to make it seem like I am critisizing your idea, but I bring up alot of problems :p

I've been messing around with ElWire for a short time...in the armor application it would just look like a dull colored plastic accent when off... on? A soft, but noticable glow...

Great idea!

If you don't use resin to coat it, you could also use hot glue, as both would diffuse the glow.

In the GoW torso, I'm thinking of using it in the shoulder pieces that glow blue. Keep us posted on the progress and look!

Do know all the detail lights on the in-game armor flash when your shields are down? This could be a much less labor intensive way to do the same effect. Maybe incoperate those laser tag toys of the Covenant weapons, and a bit of sound FX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back