• Go for it even if it turns out terrible, you gave it your best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save the money and go buy some Bondo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigalt424

I've been thinking about what color I'm going to paint my armor. Then a thought occured to me, Crystal armor! I know it's just a myth, but I thought it would make a very cool paintjob. This is my idea:
1. Finish your armor up to the painting stage.
2. Coat it in white primer.
3. Use a paint like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RMRTRS?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn, to give it a color-shifting prism effect.
4. Go over in a clear coat, something glossy, to reflect the most light.

Would this work?
If it does, I will try this on my Halo 2 ODST armor :)

BTW, I posted this in th noob forum because I didn't know where else to put it.

I don't know if it would work but it sounds like one hell of an idea. I hope it comes out good so we can all marvel in its shininess.

I think that would look really cool as long as the paint works well. I've never seen that kind before.

i say buy a can and test it. If it works, tell us. i might do mine that way

Sounds like an awesome idea! (y) 100 points for your awesomeness

Well when i hear crystal i think crystal clear. So you really want to let everybody know what masterchief looks like. The idea sounds vague. I mean crystals are clear, and you would have to mix lots of diffrent paint for that icy tone look. In reality ( Sorry) But i think it not going to work.

Think about it

Not to put you down or anything

TSM

The crystal armor isn't really like clear armor, it is more like light bending armor. when you look at it, it looks like a spectrum

Bigalt424 said:
The crystal armor isn't really like clear armor, it is more like light bending armor. when you look at it, it looks like a spectrum

I'm colorblind. So i don't know what a spectrum color looks like. Lol, do you mean lke a hot glue color, or a ghostly kinda clear color

Last edited by a moderator:
in my honest opinion, finish the helmet up to painting stage, resin and fiberglass it for strength, sand it prime it ready to paint. AWESOMENESS IDEA DUDE I LIKE THE PAINT, hehehe cant wait to see what you decide to do, in any case it will look awesome =D

original ideas are good, i would say go for it, even if it doesnt turn out good the first time, you still get valuable experience, if anything , try it out on a small tester piece first so you dont use as much and decide if you like it and what mixtures you wanna use. i think it will look cool though, interested in seeing it

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
I'm colorblind. So i don't know what a spectrum color looks like. Lol, do you mean lke a hot glue color, or a ghostly kinda clear color
The spectrum colors are all the colors. it is like white with a rainbow of colors in it.

Sorry for the double post,
After putting some thought into it (and some help from you guys), I've decided to build like a shoulder or handplate to test it. It might not be exactly what i was hoping for, but it will look cool anyway (hopefully).

BFDesigns said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to silver leaf your entire suit so that you get the maximum mirrored effect?
The only problem I have is the cost of all the materials :eek:
That would look pretty B.A. though

Being out of a spray can it's hard to say how well the color changing effect will be. a friend of mine painted his guitar with color changing paints and it's amazing. It was done with high quality paints though so the only thing I'm woundering about is out of the spray can... If it works, I see no reason why it wouldn't but given all the angles in the armor I think it would look sick, If it's anything like my buddy's guitar the main colors you'll see are Blue, Green and purple

n502576740_156868_1547.jpg

There's a pic sort of shows the color change effect towards the bottom, But the pic doesn't do it justice so don't base your ecision off it completely, It looks 100x better in person, Best bet would be to test it out on somthing small should look pretty cool

Although I don't specialize in colors, I believe the effect of color changing is called having a iridescent effect.

Sounds like it would look pretty cool, and it's always worth trying. If it doesn't work out, all you have to do is sand it back down to the primer and repaint. Good luck.

Mal

I have used this stuff before on some cardboard and a scrap 2x4 that we had laying around our shop. The stuff sucks. While we did test it on porous materials that absorb the spray paint, you might want to just shell out the cash for a can of it to test it. But if you do test it, make sure that you have a smooth sealed material to test it on. The guitar that your friend had painted was sanded, sealed and painted on a smooth surface.

When dealing with the armor you are going to have many flat, ridged surfaces and many rounded surfaces. So some places will reflect well (supposing the paint works correctly) while others will not. The reason it works well on a car or guitar is because there is a much larger surface area with parts that, by comparison, are much less complex.

Also DO NOT, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!!!!!! Test it on foam (big pet peeve of mine). ALL Spray paints contain acid that eats foam and releases toxic gas.

Also, if you look up your local Sears, Walmart (EVIL), Lowes, Home Depot, etc. many of them have their products listed on their websites. So you can see if they carry it and where the closest store is that has it instead of ordering it online.

you might be best off doing a layer of chrome, then dusting it with other shades of color metalics. maybe even go so far as to clear coat between each layer to give it depth. I can wait to see pictures of what you do!

Just in case anyone didn't know about it, here's the link to the pic of the supposed "Crystal Armor":
Crystal armor and my tribute to the 405th for being awesome: 405th

Edit: I thought of a name for my armor... I'll call it Spectrum armor :)

I would recommend getting a wagner power sprayer to replace spray cans... 101 uses around the house + cuts down on paint time. The one I'll be using is gravity fed and needs no air compressor. Wagner Spray Tech Power Tex Sprayer $80.00 from Home Depot.

Also recommended is automotive paint. Not spray can auto paint, but real auto paint. Quality is a word that costs a wee bit more, but I believe is worth it.

For the "prism effect" you could use KAMELEON™ KOLORS
http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/hokkameleon.aspx
"Kameleon Kolor is a revolutionary base coat that actually changes color depending on the angle from which it is viewed. Kameleon Kolor undergoes broad color changes, for example, from a medium green to a deep purple or from a bright gold to a luminous silver. The Kameleon Kolor base coat can appear to be different colors to people viewing the exact same area of the car from different angles. Rounded, curved surfaces and sharp angles will highlight the uniqueness of Kameleon Kolor. Kameleon Kolor base coats are easy to apply as our SHIMRIN® Designer Pearl base coat. Kameleon Kolor base coats must be top coated with either urethane enamel or acrylic lacquer."

Just a thought.

Then again, I'm bald (by choice) so I limit the amount of quality I must show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back