Props Halo 3 Sniper Rifle Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I am currently in the planning stage of building a H3 version sniper rifle based on Spartan II's blueprints.

I might go with cardboard, or wood, or perhaps a mixture of both, or maybe even something else.

A few things I need cleared up first though.

1. Looking at the back of the weapon, I notice that there are several openings in the stock, similar to a telescoping stock such as one found on the M4 series of rifles. It looks very much as if the stock could retract back and forth along that inner tube, but I don't know for sure.

2. Where is the clip release located?

3. What's with the handle on the bottom? Is that a carrying handle?

4. Does anyone have any pics of the scope display? I want to know what's displayed on that little green screen so I can maybe try to simulate it.

Thanks guys.

To answer your questions:

1. The butt/stock of the SR is "static" (as in, in a fixed position, so it does not adjust). One thing to note about the stock, if looking at it from the rear, the stock is supposed to taper inward at the bottom to about the same width as the grip (you'll want to ask Lee what the width of the grip is on his build);

2. Of all the reference material I used to draft the schematics, I honestly don't ever recall actually seeing anything resembling a clip release, lol. I'll have to take a closer look when I get home;

3. I do believe that is a carrying handle (don't ask me why it's on the bottom, it just is, lol);

4. While researching the SR, I managed to find the odd pic or two showing the scope's viewfinder. I know the objects in the viewfinder have the appearance of what night-vision would look like, as the viewfinder is illuminated green. Again, I'll check for those once I'm home;

I'm pleased to see someone else has decided to take a stab at this build, and will be able to get some use out of my schematics. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, dude! :)

Alright, thanks. Might be a bit of time before I post a thread on it, but sooner or later I will.

And really, why stick the handle on the bottom? Was this rifle made in Soviet Russia? :p

I think the only people who could answer that question would be the folks at Bungie. They designed it after all, lol.

SPARTAN II said:
3. I do believe that is a carrying handle (don't ask me why it's on the bottom, it just is, lol);

It is not used for carrying but when your firing one hand grasps this area to help steady it plus to help with the recoil.

SPARTAN II pretty much covered the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
the handle in the front is a hand grip when shooting. aswell as when its on your back in halo 3 it may be a grab position? or if your carrying around 2 like luggage?

LeeKegan said:
It is not used for carrying but when your firing one hand grasps this area to help steady it plus to help with the recoil.

SPARTAN II pretty much covered the rest.

Ah, okay. That explains a lot, lol.

In regards to question # 2, after going over what reference pics I have of the H3 SR, for the life of me I simply could not see anything on the in-game model that would indicate a clip release. Perhaps they forgot to add that detail.

As for question # 4, I was only able to find two pics so far that shows the detail on the scope viewfinder, seen here --> H3 SR Scope Detail # 01, H3 SR Scope Detail # 02.

I know that's not much, but from what I've seen there aren't really that many good pics of that area (the ones I found were from the ref pics package on the HALO wiki).

Still, hopefully that helps a bit. I'll look for any other pics I may have found showing that area of the scope.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, regarding question # 2 I don't think a clip release is present on even modern-day rifles. The clips for that type of weapon are typically push-and-pull; you pull the clip out when it's empty, then shove (push) a fresh one in. They're designed to simply clip in place. At least, from what I've seen of someone reloading a rifle they never press a release button or anything. I could be mistaken though, lol.

SPARTAN II said:
In regards to question # 2, after going over what reference pics I have of the H3 SR, for the life of me I simply could not see anything on the in-game model that would indicate a clip release. Perhaps they forgot to add that detail.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, regarding question # 2 I don't think a clip release is present on even modern-day rifles. The clips for that type of weapon are typically push-and-pull; you pull the clip out when it's empty, then shove (push) a fresh one in. They're designed to simply clip in place. At least, from what I've seen of someone reloading a rifle they never press a release button or anything. I could be mistaken though, lol.

As far as I'm aware there should always be a magazine release somewhere. There's a lot of pressure/ vibration going on while weapons are firing and you don't want your mag coming loose. Sometimes they're not located near where the mag goes in but are buttons just forward of the trigger guard so the trigger finger can press and release the mag while you're reaching for the next one (every second counts in a fire fight).

I'll have a look in Forge when I get the chance. But not tonight sorry, I'm off to sleepy land now. ;)

juliet76 said:
As far as I'm aware there should always be a magazine release somewhere. There's a lot of pressure/ vibration going on while weapons are firing and you don't want your mag coming loose. Sometimes they're not located near where the mag goes in but are buttons just forward of the trigger guard so the trigger finger can press and release the mag while you're reaching for the next one (every second counts in a fire fight).

I'll have a look in Forge when I get the chance. But not tonight sorry, I'm off to sleepy land now. ;)

Well, like I said, I could be mistaken on that account. However, looking at what decent ref pics I have of the SR, I honestly couldn't seem to find any detail present on the in-game model that would represent a clip release. Hopefully your research into it will yield some helpful results. Pleasant dreams dude, lol ;)

juliet76 said:

(y) Pretty much all rifles have a mag release, it'd be a pretty big design flaw to have the mag drop out without you wanting it to. Although, it'd be easy for the game model to omit a small catch on a big rifle.

Loess said:
(y) Pretty much all rifles have a mag release, it'd be a pretty big design flaw to have the mag drop out without you wanting it to. Although, it'd be easy for the game model to omit a small catch on a big rifle.

That's just what I was thinking myself; perhaps that one small detail was missed. Given all the weapons the folks at Bungie designed for the game, it's possible they overlooked that. Hopefully juliet76 will catch something I didn't.

Nope I couldn't find one either (I never really doubted you Sparten II ;) ).

But here's some ideas...

Here we see the sniper rifle modeled by my beautiful girlfriend Lindanator (She's even prettier without the helmet ;) )
1164f27f.jpg

And on closer view I'd recommend this area for either a rear latch or some form of button. Notice the two screws (one in the cicle the other above it) are not on the right hand side of the rifle. Maybe you could substitute the lower one of them.
717b0a9b.jpg

Here's some reference info.

Different styles-
http://www.norgon.com/

And reference pictures where you can see the rear latch system on a couple of .50cal's if you look close enough. Sorry I only had a quick look for pictures. :unsure:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._2007_07_14.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M82A1_afmil.jpg

Here's also some ideas that might help you with your build Pillow Fire. It's a blog by a guy goes by the name of Blindsquirrel called My dumb projects. He got comissioned to make a sniper rifle for a Cosplayer. He's pretty good.
http://mydumbprojects.blogspot.com/2008_10_26_archive.html

I doubt that Robt McLees would, as you said, "Omit the button".
Robt makes it so that the weapon would have every single thing.
In "The Art of Halo" Robt says "I agonized for a long time just to make sure the assault rifle design had enough room for bolt travel."
Also, could it be that the W is the Mag Release?

EDIT: From what I know, I thought, "Why doesn't the gun's computer automatically drop the clip when it's out of bullets? I mean, it knows how many bullets that are in a clip, it knows how many bullets you've fired, it puts two and two together, and it knows when to drop the clip!"

I haven't seen any good reference pics of the underside of the rifle, it's possible that the release would be there.

Hmm... good point, Loess. juliet76 made some good suggestions, too. I might take a gander at the in-game model later and see what else the underside of the SR body shows.

Would there be any chance it would be built into the clip itself?

Or it could be on the underside just infront of the tigger where juliet76 has circled? I think this is how the L96 one works

I know I have a oddball egyptian made 8mm with the mag release on the clip itself, its a thumb release spring loaded rocker style lever located on the back of the mag towards the top.

Also on some of the big bore rifles I have fired, civilian versions of the snipers (50BMG round) the stock is a telescoping unit not for length adjustment but for recoil. They have basicly a nitrogen or oil filled shock absorber built into the stock.

Cheers!

flying_squirl said:
Would there be any chance it would be built into the clip itself?

Privateer said:
I know I have a oddball egyptian made 8mm with the mag release on the clip itself, its a thumb release spring loaded rocker style lever located on the back of the mag towards the top.

It could be on the mag, there's some greeblies on the 'rim' kinda thing around the bottom of it, and one of them could conceivably be a release button.

Arbiter452 said:
I doubt that Robt McLees would, as you said, "Omit the button".
Robt makes it so that the weapon would have every single thing.
In "The Art of Halo" Robt says "I agonized for a long time just to make sure the assault rifle design had enough room for bolt travel."
Also, could it be that the W is the Mag Release?

EDIT: From what I know, I thought, "Why doesn't the gun's computer automatically drop the clip when it's out of bullets? I mean, it knows how many bullets that are in a clip, it knows how many bullets you've fired, it puts two and two together, and it knows when to drop the clip!"

i dont think thats right because you can reload wjen you havent fired a whole clip. while the computer may be able to put two and two togeather, i dont think it can sense when master chief wants to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back