Warthog Possible Suspension Close To Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevbor

Hey all,
I'm very slowly continue to work on different warthog concepts in SolidWorks.
This is what I came atm to:
(Click on pic to enlarge)
3459084050_cf32a452ab.jpg

If you want this interactive rotateable model on your desktop (Windows .exe file),
download it from there

I need your opinions and tips, cause I'm not automotive engineer :)
Anybody?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
That type of suspension looks like something out of a F-1 car. A bit over complicated.
You have to think simpler. Also, consider the "arms" (yellow) as "armored" structures instead of solid. Kinda like how the legs and arms are on a Gundam.

And maybe consider a front and rear gearbox?

In my opinion, it looks very close if not the same as the in-game vehicle suspension. Very complicated but very practical. The chasis would be able to kind of twist, right? If it is able to, I still dont see the point in a twisting chasis if the vehicle on top is rigid.

bevbor interesting concept on the suspension but this also includes the drive train... i think thats what its called. now i know that this system may work but yes as always theres a but.... can se get a moveing animation so we can see how things will react.

i can understand the drive train being their aswell as the weird engine but the green bars bont make much sence to me. also those have to be really flexable drive trains to withstand the bouncyness of a warthog.

all in all i give this concept 10 out of 10 in overall first thoughts on a warhog concept build for suspension and drive shaft placement! woot!

looks good but i dont see how it would work because the weight of the vehicle would push down onto the tires the yellow bars would need a spring to keep that from happening, right?

The springs are there, it looks like Bevbor used co-axial spring/shock absorber assemblies (the dark gray cylinders). The problem I see is running a drivetrain like this at high speed. Long transmissions and multiple gear boxes and u-joints can develop weird harmonics.

Bev, have you thought about using an electric transmission. Put a generator on the engine, and electric motors in the wheel mounts.

i think its a fantastic model but my problem is in game isnt it electrical? but seriously you put a lot into something i only imagined while in class

I made little video to demonstrate howto suspension connected, but it turned out lil crappy :) sorry, I'm still noob in vids :) Especially sorry for "static" springs :) atm I dunno how to make them flefxible in simulation :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B36GQv4POjQ[/media]

you really cant stop to imprest me. If I would have the finance I would build your mongoose and this baby.

Pat

Looks like youre doing a good job so far Bevbor - I like the way you are using coil over shocks on what appears to be some type of Cantilever suspension.

I dont know how the physical Drivetrain assembly is supposed to be on the In-game vehicle; of course the game takes place 500 years in the future, technology would be radically advanced from what we are used to now. So many axles and shafts = more things to break if you want my opinion. As for the comment on driveline harmonics ... I dont think Harmonics has anything to do with it, if you mean NVH that can be caused by a lack of body structure and rigity, where anything from a slight imbalance in a tire will cause a vehicle to vibrate. Usually driveline vibration means something is Bent or imbalanced.

There is no way the In game vehicle is Electric - it has that great throaty rumble when you start it up. Probably not gasoline either, im sure they would use better fuels.

Co-axial springs / shocks = we typically call them Coil Over Shocks.

If youre looking to design something more practical for real life, I was looking over some pictures of the WETA Warthog - It looks like they are using long lower control arms - a 2 link design with a Panhard bar linked to the solid front axle and 2600 Airbags with some standard shock absorbers. There is a "naked" warthog on the website with no body on top of the chassis.

Custom suspension design is one of my other hobbies ( in real life ) :D

- Dan

Motor wise, I'd say turbo cummings.

If this were a real life build, and it was more function over looks, I would run a typical triangulated 4 link with 1 ton axles. But if looks were critical, then it would be mostly custom.

You kind of have to settle with a happy medium.

amazeing video! definately not how i would have thought of it. but i also can see an issue if this was a real life simmunlation. possible spring or hydolic failings and drive train issues.. aswell as the green t sections could colide with the general mainframe of the warthog createing a huge bang on jmps and a general instabibility causeing the mainframe to decay itself and break.

bevbor if and when i have time i will once this model is more expanded a bit and try some other aproaches i suppose. i will definately consider this in the planning stages of my warthog. if my original design doesnt fair well and yours does it will be the suspension and have you name.

great work and keep it up!

Nice idea. I would make it less complex though have the arms going straight to large shocks, with high travel. Small parts brake. Thnk big manly steel lol Also you are going to have shocks with slower reaction times and thicj springs. This is because this is a 4x4 not F1 or DTM. You also want to incoporate into the more simplistic design easy to remove and service parts. Tooless access and oh run flat tires hahahaha

I love the movie and the idea over all. :cool:
When do you atsrt selling these bad boys. Summer is here in northern CA and man it would make one hell of a commmute vehical lol

Holy hell, Bev, I think you hit it dead on!

It's complex, but it certainly looks like it would give the Warthog it's bizarre ability to take massive falls without damage.

I like it! Maybe you should make a new model in a more powerful engine. If you send me blue-prints / technical specs, I could probably build it in Autodesk Inventor, which has much more powerful animation prowess.

Anyhow, keep up the good work!

Spartan137 said:
If you send me blue-prints / technical specs, I could probably build it in Autodesk Inventor, which has much more powerful animation prowess.

Why to work so hard? :)
Try to open this STEP file in your Inventor :)

WBR

Last edited by a moderator:
now everyone wants in on this. bevbor and spartan137 if i had more experience in maya and 3dsmax i would help you out alot but im just the lonely noob at those programs.. so im stuck with sketchup for my designs still.

The Peugot Hoggar (or something like that) looks like a hog, if you google "halo warthog" or just the name, you should be able to come up with it... Anyway, it uses two drivetrains for a suspension system like the warthog, four arms etc; it is a concept car/dune buggy thingy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back