Warthog Possible Suspension Close To Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just about exactly what you'd need to have a mechanically linked drivetrain.

And that Jeep looks like it took a little bit of design inspiration from Bungie.

Well, I got the file to open, but none of the constraints got are readable by Inventor. So the model looks pristine, I just cant move anything and expect it to remain where it is (ie, axles don't stay in their sockets when moved).

But looking at the model itself, it is definitely beautiful! I was thinking about building a 1/16 scale warthog using these designs! It'd be pretty friggin awesome!

While the suspension looks cool in game, there's a reason no one uses a leading arm suspension in real life. The arms would jam under heavy suspension travel, causing a pogo stick effect.
If this is to be done in real life, better to use a independent front suspension and a trailing arm for the rear. Also, theres no triangulation? I suppose it'll depend on the size and type of materials used, really.
Still, check out this site : car bible. good article with basics on suspension, as well as some of the cooler new ideas. The ferrofluid suspension Bose is making makes me horny.

And thats sad.

Every time I take a close look at the hog's suspension I cringe. Thinking of a cantilever arm, under torsion, and with a heavy tire out at the end. Still, it looks cool. And, at low speeds, (parade) it could be done.

Nothing hampers to make absolutely fixed cantilever arm and double wishbone suspension with coil spring "type one" in the knuckles :)

Somthing else to concider is to put a type of gear box in the chassis above each of the yellow supports. If one tire gets shot/ blown out that portion of the drivetrain would also be wercked. If it continues to spin inside its housing it could cause undue damage to the rest of the warthog.

Also, this would allow the worthog to switch from a four to two wheel drive vehicle. This would save you gas and if a wheel goes down as discussed previously, the one opposite it can be shut off. Having two powered wheels on one side and just one on the other would be very hard to steer.

Hey all,
I'm very slowly continue to work on different warthog concepts in SolidWorks.
This is what I came atm to:
(Click on pic to enlarge)
3459084050_cf32a452ab.jpg

If you want this interactive rotateable model on your desktop (Windows .exe file),
download it from there

I need your opinions and tips, cause I'm not automotive engineer :)
Anybody?
Thanks in advance

Hello bevbor! I really like this project!
Sorry if this thread is dead, have you another?

Nice work on the independent WD, but I think you will need better differentials for the wheels to move at different rates while turning. Hence "Independent Wheel Drive".

Also maybe it would be clever to add a central independent diff (en par cars made for drifting), separating rear and front drivetrain in order to make the hog fishtail like in the game.

The engine block could be a flat six (boxer) like in a porsche, which might fit more snugly beneath the hood of the hog. If not V6, to make for a lower center gravity.
RB26DETT-ish if gasoline is preferable fuel.

Also your "legs" (yellow) would have to be two parts (hub and extension) since the extension should be made of a lighter material.

And I dont think anyone would mind if there was a shock/damper above each wheelmount.

Well, thats my two-cents. Who really knows.
And as for steering on all four wheels, I have no idea how to make that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I might also get in trouble for this but I have a few ideas to add so here goes.

EH4500.jpg
This is one of the trucks I build at work, it is capable of hauling 400 tons of earth at 100kph/60mph. The reason I added this is one of the ideas, the rear wheels on this truck are electric. Both rear wheels have an electric turbine in the hub that powers the wheel. An electric generator is bolted to the back of a dual turbo diesel engine. So the engine turns the electric motor which powers the wheels. This could be applied the the warthog in that each wheel could have and electric motor thus remaining 4wd and eliminating the drive train components. No drive train means no breakage. And each wheel would operate independently of each other so if a wheel went down it would not matter.

The steering could be made hydraulic, like most city buses they use hydraulic steering. Thus you could have 4 wheel steering by simply having two hydraulic cylinders to operate the different axles. Having them turn in different or the same direction is just a matter of valving in the hydraulic lines.

The only other thing I can think of right now is you might have to run more than one coil over per joint to handle the weight and stress of usage.

The Warthog has a single motor in each wheel, powered by the 12.0L engine.
http://www.halopedian.com/Hog

Dude, not to rain on your parade, but half the info on that page is untrue.
From site:

Compared to the military version, this is a luxurious automobile, with trans-system GPS, omni-directional networked surround sound, complete user-specific voice control, a highly efficient long range power cell and the capability to drive itself.

This information comes from where?
"Long range power cell" The warthog has a HICE Engine, Not hydrogen-electric. (as stated by Bungie.)

i know i might also get in trouble for this but i have a few ideas to add so here goes.

[img[/img]

this is one of the trucks i build at work, it is capable of hauling 400 tons of earth at 100kph/60mph. The reason i added this is one of the ideas, the rear wheels on this truck are electric. Both rear wheels have an electric turbine in the hub that powers the wheel. An electric generator is bolted to the back of a dual turbo diesel engine. So the engine turns the electric motor which powers the wheels. This could be applied the the warthog in that each wheel could have and electric motor thus remaining 4wd and eliminating the drive train components. No drive train means no breakage. And each wheel would operate independently of each other so if a wheel went down it would not matter.

The steering could be made hydraulic, like most city buses they use hydraulic steering. Thus you could have 4 wheel steering by simply having two hydraulic cylinders to operate the different axles. Having them turn in different or the same direction is just a matter of valving in the hydraulic lines.

The only other thing i can think of right now is you might have to run more than one coil over per joint to handle the weight and stress of usage.

400 tonnes at 100k/h?! Thats so much power! Really?

It must take a looong stretch to get it to that speed though. Not to mention stopping.

The warthog is heavy too. 3 tonnes. so maybe youre on to something.

Although in the game it has a combustion engine and rolling wheelhubs.
The spade however has those stationary hubs and runs on CNG so its possible it was intended to be engineered that way.

Pretty sure the steering on city buses are just hydraulic-powered, not fully hydraulic.

Still I get the point, and its not a bad idea as long as it doesn´t mess up the alignment and/or get too heavy.

And Im sorry for being such a smartass.

Awesome design there!!! Love suspension work... its one of my favorite parts of vehicles.

@chitwood, dang! I'd love to see your progress on that... would be killer if you were able to use this design for the suspension!

Well if I get into a class next year then there's a chance that I could start it in about a year. The biggest issues are money, and a place to store it.

I was chatting with some gear head friends of mine about this idea, they thought it was great but had a couple of concerns. The fist being control, with the front wheels not connected and able to move up and down on their own it may cause steering issues when off roading ( and we all know we want to build these to do some 4x4ing) which lands us on the other point. With this axle design an impact to the front tires will cause them to shoot up possibly hitting the undercarriage or hit hard enough it will roll the vehicle. Now don't get me wrong they didn't say it would not work they just said it will take a lot of trial and error to get the right set up. They did how ever suggest and alternative, Baja or arena trucks they sit high enough, have a lot of play in the suspension and the parts are easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back