Lord Perth's Flamethrower W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsmail

Jr Member
SO I'm begining to embark on my epc journy with Smithx2 to make a flamethrower pair from halo wars

[attachment=9051:unsc_ico...Flame_sm.jpg]

Being that the units are ever so tiny, and that general concept art is limited, we're taking a bit of artistic license with the helmet and using the pilot helm from the wiki, and the mark VI thigh plates, but the major hang up is getting the oxide tank on their shoulders. I've been thinking about wood, but....nothing seems to work well as I go through how I would build it in my head, I run into issues...so my helpful 405th-ies please to has your halp!?

Sweet, somebody is making these, Here is some more reference:
800px-Flame_render.jpg

Halo-wars-Hellbringers.jpg

Wow! That will be one crazy build! It seems you might need some kind of hiking backpack with supports that protrude out from the back armor.

Are you going to make it really throw fire? That would be sweet!

Good luck

well if you were going to "Franken build" the armor I would say that you should use the low def mark VI legs and just use a lot of bondo to smooth it out into that shape, the shoulders look a lot like the top part of the odst ones, and as far as the tank goes I would scratch build from carboard or find a empty plastic drum like this
TH_plastic_drum_lg.jpg

also making a real flamethrower is very awesome however I'm sure that there are laws against it (seeing as how there are burn laws and it is against the Geneva convention) also you REALLY nee to know what your doing because if you do it wrong your going to have that backpack blow up in your face :(

Kewl! Folks here are finally starting to get around to doing the HALO Wars armour :D

These are just a few things that came to mind for me:

Helmet -- looks to be not too dissimilar from the EVA helmet, so you could try using that one and then just add that extra top-front portion with layered sheet styrene or something. You could also use the Pilot helmet, though personally I think the EVA more closely resembles the style of helmet you're going for.

Oxide Tank -- like Spawn Camper suggested, you could try finding an appropriate-sized plastic drum. One other option would be to take one of those thick, industrial cardboard tubes used in cementing patio deck foundations (doubt there'd be much of a difference in terms of weight between the two). You could cut out pieces of MDF board to seal up the ends, then bondo and detail as desired.

For the brackets that attach the tank to the shoulders, slightly trimmed-down 1" by 2" wooden beams would probably work. From what I can tell, the brackets angle down toward the shoulder mid-way; could be looking at the first part of the bracket (what actually attaches to the harness) being about 6" long, with the second part (what actually attaches to the tank) being about 9-10" long.

An idea you could employ for the tank would be to incorporate some sort of catch-release system. Have the part of the bracket that attaches to the tank extend all the way through, then have a catch mechanism of some sort at the rear to hold it in place while wearing the armour. When taking it off, you release the catch mechanism to slide the tank off. Would make it a lot easier to get in and out of the suit, imho.

The harness connecting to the brackets could be comprised of double-layered MDF board or some sort of resin/fiberglass-reinforced paper frame, with the harness screwed into the brackets from underneath (don't want/need anyone getting poked by the pointy end of a screw). Though there are no pep files yet available for this, it's entirely possible you could design your own paper model from scratch, which would work for the resin/fiberglass-reinforced option mentioned above.

Regarding the top-rear protrusion on the tank, you could take a short length of PVC piping (possibly 3" diameter) sealed on the top end, cut a hole out of the tank and secure it in place.

Just throwing some ideas out there for ya, dude ;)

P.S.: I'd love to help out with designing the suit (though it's not my project I've already gots all sorts of ideas in mind for it, lol), if only I weren't so busy with other things. Good luck with this.

This is the spirit of the 405th... new armor, no pep for it... and already ideas for scratch build, modifing current props...

GREATNESS!!!!

You can probably build it out of cardboard as well, but I'd recommend using tagboard as opposed to corrugated cardboard. the corrugations are a bitch to fill in. The Monev the Gale (he looks like this, for those of you unfamiliar with Trigun) costume I was working on was eventually scrapped because it was starting to weigh so much from the additional bondo to make everything smooth. I got about halfway through one of the shoulder ammo crates, and it weighed around 30 lbs. I'm burly, but not that burly. walking around in 100+ pounds of costume would suck.

Tagboard/artboard can usually be found in office depot at smaller sizes. When I was in arizona, there was a place that had 3foot by 4foot sheets sold in packs of 50 for around 30 bucks, so I know its available in larger sizes. Best bet would be to hit up art supply stores, as they can probably point you in the right direction for bulk orders.

Spawn Camp3r said:
well if you were going to "Franken build" the armor I would say that you should use the low def mark VI legs and just use a lot of bondo to smooth it out into that shape, the shoulders look a lot like the top part of the odst ones, and as far as the tank goes I would scratch build from carboard or find a empty plastic drum like this
TH_plastic_drum_lg.jpg

also making a real flamethrower is very awesome however I'm sure that there are laws against it (seeing as how there are burn laws and it is against the Geneva convention) also you REALLY nee to know what your doing because if you do it wrong your going to have that backpack blow up in your face :(

I don't recommend using those barrels they can get pretty heavy since they're really thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really cool, Halo Wars has some of the units that only the books ever discussed. I would love to see how the build turns out and what you plan on doing with it. The plastic drum idea is great, however I once had a friend that made a plastic squirt gun into a flamethrower. He almost melted it and burned himself. (No before you ask this wasn't me, it really really was a friend from my old high school.)

Just never use plastic as a flamethrower. You would seriously hurt yourself.

Thanks Guys! The helmet is still a bit iffy as what to do right now, but your suggestions have brought about a new excitement...I didn't even think about getting cardboard that is ALREADY a tube...and I'm not going to tough making a real flame thrower with a 10 foot pole...at most I might cram one of those little Bic butane lighter into the flamethrower for the pilot light..which begs one final question(for now) suggestions on the flamethrower? I tried looking for the H3 flamethrower...but it was quite elusive...

I lied-this is the final question...more of an opinion...what color should I go for? obviously in campaign and in concept art they're mostly OD green, but online a manner of colors are present...this isn't really pressing now...more of a later issue...

ALSO! thanks to Spawn Camp3r for those images...I hadn't seen the first one at such a good resolution, and the second one was quite the nice suprise :notworthy:

UNIT-SPARTAN#007 said:
U R actually going to make a flamethrower that works? If so that would be awesome.
Dude. Are you serious?
Please read post #5 and understand that fire is never a good source of fun, nor is it ever able to be safely used.
Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sure you read the whole thread, as it isn't that long.

Oh, and good luck on the build! Can't wait to see some more infantry for the infantry!
Halo wars pepakura models should be made.
I would totally make some if someone could tell me how to use blender or something to make a 3d model...

Lord Perth 16 said:
Thanks Guys! The helmet is still a bit iffy as what to do right now, but your suggestions have brought about a new excitement...I didn't even think about getting cardboard that is ALREADY a tube...and I'm not going to tough making a real flame thrower with a 10 foot pole...at most I might cram one of those little Bic butane lighter into the flamethrower for the pilot light..which begs one final question(for now) suggestions on the flamethrower? I tried looking for the H3 flamethrower...but it was quite elusive...
I lied-this is the final question...more of an opinion...what color should I go for? obviously in campaign and in concept art they're mostly OD green, but online a manner of colors are present...this isn't really pressing now...more of a later issue...

ALSO! thanks to Spawn Camp3r for those images...I hadn't seen the first one at such a good resolution, and the second one was quite the nice suprise :notworthy:

As you can see from his post that I qouted he is NOT going to build a working flamethrower. He is planning on having at most the pilot light. Please read the entire thread before replying to save yourselves embarrassment.

Hey, just a little funfact for everyone, the wiki told me the unit type is call "Hellbringers" just thought it was cool...

Lord Perth 16 said:
Hey, just a little funfact for everyone, the wiki told me the unit type is call "Hellbringers" just thought it was cool...

I guess that is rather appropriate, taking into account the flame aspect of it:lol:

For the flamethrower tank, you may be able to use the Pipboy 3000 pep file I saw in Sigma-LS's Fallout Armor Pep Files + References thread on this forum. After constructing it, you can then tweak the design to make it look more like the Halo Flamethrower tank. I have not built one myself, but the 3D image looks similar to the flamethrower tank. If you can do this, I'm certain it would be much lighter than hauling a big, heavy plastic drum on your back (and maybe cheaper)!

I would say use pink foam for the tank. You can get it as thin as 1/2 inch from Home Depot, cut it into narrow 3/4" strips as long as the tank, and then cap off the ends after you glue all the strips into a tube. Kinda like a barrel. Then you can bondo over the top of it to make it perfect. That will probably give you the lightest and most resilient tank to use.

Thicker foam (1"-2") will also give you a convenient way to attach the tank to the shoulders.

0428090127.jpg

here's the tube i got, i put my controller in for scale. What can I strengthen it with?

also, one thigh is fiberglassed!

0428091207a.jpg

0428091207b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back