Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADOR

This is a build i have been planning out for a few months now. Got the blazer home and picked up my steel for the basic body today. ( 2" x 2" square tube, 2" x 4" rect. square tube and some 1" x 1" square tube. Everything isn't going to be 100% accurate but going to get it as close as i can get. For right now i am starting with a 1973 K5 BLAZER frame and suspension. I don't see me going with me adding rear steer on it for now, but maybe later. I am hoping to start the basic fabrication this weekend. Tomorrow i will be cutting the wood side buck in 2" x 4" wood to make sure of my measurements before i put it too steel. The metal is 11 gauge/.120" thick. This is the same thickness as rollcage metal incase the unthinkable ever happens. I am building it to be functional as a real 4x4. I hope in the future i can upgrade to 1 ton axles.

CURRENT

1973 K5 BLAZER CHASSIS LESS MOTOR/TRANS/TRANSFER CASE.

CURRENTLY HAS 33"/12.5' TIRES, I WILL BE INSTALLING SOME 35" / 14.5" TIRES AS SOON AS I GET THE RIGHT RIMS.

BARE STEEL STOCK TO FORM THE BASIC BODY SHAPE WITH.

FUTURE

SMALL BLOCK CHEVY WITH AUTO TRANS SET BACK IN CHASSIS TO HELP GET WEIGHT CLOSER TO A 50/50 RATIO

DIVORCED 205 TRANSFER CASE

37" TO 39" TIRES 14" TO 15" WIDE

PLASTIC BODY PANNELS ( SO GROVES CAN BE CUT INTO IT) WITH COMPOSITE FOAM BACKING UNDERNEATH.

TABS SO A REMOVABLE "TROOP CARRIER" PART CAN BE PUT IN AND REMOVED WHEN NEEDED.

SWIVEL GUN TURRENT WITH ELECTRIC HAND SWITCH (REMOVEABLE)

(MORE IN THE WORKS)

3495603487_f7cca97f91_b.jpg

3495646221_c51998b218_b.jpg

3495646273_564957d2d8_b.jpg

Man that's awsome, I was thinking about doing the same thing but I'm unemployed and have quite a few other things I need to accomplish before I start such an insane project. Glad I won't have to wait that long to see how yours turns out. My favorite part is the rear steer which sadly is probably the most difficult part unless you can find another vehicle that utilizes a rear steer and convert its rear end into the K5 chassis. I think I read something a while back about an older truck that had rear steer but I forget where... If I ever come across it again I'll be sure to let you know

can't wait for further progress

I call Gunner seat when it's done! Lol, Looking good so far! Hope to see another warthog added to the force >:D

That is a lot of metal there ... looks like a fun project.

Is that a Chevy S10 Frame all of the metal is sitting on top of ??? :D

Were you planning on modifying the suspension at all, or leaving it stock until the new body is builtup ?

- Dan

why couldn't you be in the uk we've only got peter cooper who is getting a hog made

either way i hope this goes well for you
just think soon we there could be a warthog drag race in the us

I got my lift chains ready and the body loose. I take it off tomorrow. Will drop the K5 body onto a spare s-10 chassis i have to keep it mobile and to roll it out of the way. The bumpers, and body mount brackets come off tomorrow too. Then to cut my test parts in wood before i cut the steel. Will have more pictures tomorrow night.

Wrathchild said:
Man that's awsome, I was thinking about doing the same thing but I'm unemployed and have quite a few other things I need to accomplish before I start such an insane project. Glad I won't have to wait that long to see how yours turns out. My favorite part is the rear steer which sadly is probably the most difficult part unless you can find another vehicle that utilizes a rear steer and convert its rear end into the K5 chassis. I think I read something a while back about an older truck that had rear steer but I forget where... If I ever come across it again I'll be sure to let you know

can't wait for further progress

Getting a rear steer rearend is easy. Just use another ft end and flip it. Then you have to swap out your reverse cut gears to standard gears. The big pain in setting up your steering linkage. I plan to go to bigger axles in the future (dana 60) so i may do a conversion on it later on. Got to get it going first.

Last edited by a moderator:
dDUBb said:
That is a lot of metal there ... looks like a fun project.

Is that a Chevy S10 Frame all of the metal is sitting on top of ??? :D

Were you planning on modifying the suspension at all, or leaving it stock until the new body is builtup ?

- Dan

Yep, that is a load of metal, but wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be at first. It was under 250 dollars.

Yes, that is my spare s-10 frame from my old drag truck that i no longer have. It's sole purpose now is just to be a body dolly for different projects.

I am leaving the suspension alone for now. I may swap it from leaf springs to coilover suspension when i up grade the axles. Money and time will tell.

adventSpartanMatrix said:
why couldn't you be in the uk we've only got peter cooper who is getting a hog made

either way i hope this goes well for you
just think soon we there could be a warthog drag race in the us

Would you settle for passing through the UK on my way to work in Saudi Arabia.

A Warthog drag race there is a idea. I would wind up cheating. Got a NX hitman system in the house just sitting around. Adjustable up to 300 hp.

TODAYS UPDATE

Got the Blazer body off and dropped on the s-10 chassis. The bumper bolts and side brackets have been firmly attached since 1973 so with a little gentle touch of the 7" grinder they came off today. As did a lot of the little brackets i will not be using. Took my pictures outside with me to get a good visual of what i need to mock up my wood. As i thought the ground clearance isn't going to be enough. To the get the look i want and need it will have to be lifted a total of 6 inches. It only has 33" tall tires so when i finally go with the 37 to 39 inch tires that will help some, i won't need a big lift for the truck. If i remember right a rear shackle flip for the rear is 4 inches, so i should only need ft lift springs. I won't need the lift right now to fit the 35 inch tires i have so that will be on the back burner until later. I am having too look for some wider rims. The rims and tires currently on the chassis belong to the friend i got the truck from. I have a set of 8 inch wide rims but need 10 inch wide. I have a call out to some of my hot rod buddies so maybe something will turn up before i leave out, if not i will just have to bit the bullet and buy some of the cheap white steel rims for it. Tomorrow i will do some welding to put the bottom on it like i have in wood. Then when i have that welded up i will need to cut some more wood, mock it up and stand back to make sure i have it right.

Personally these tires just scream warthog to me on the styling. The boggers they used on the weta warthog are good tires, but they just don't have the right look to them.

3496913769_f01bac219e_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back