Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how will you paint the lexan. Its plastic so you would need to use enamel paint right but enamel tends not to be very strong itll get chipped alot. Could you use metal sheeting instead

Glad to see your still out there man. Had me worried. Engine wise go after a v6 diesel. Either turbo it or whack a supercharger on. The diesels probably the only way to get that throaty sound.

Glad to see your still out there man. Had me worried. Engine wise go after a v6 diesel. Either turbo it or whack a supercharger on. The diesels probably the only way to get that throaty sound.

Yea I am still out here. Had the kids full time this summer so what I could get done on two different projects has been limited. The 52 ford is just about finished and the kids have started school back. So it's very close to time for this project to go back to getting my full attention. Since I haven't got the outside done I have toyed with the idea of doing the halo 4 Warthog style body. But first I am going to worry about just getting the body welded to the new floor pan and firewall.

Maybe if the turret is detachable then if you detach it, you can design a rear section that can fit on by screws. like those things on pickup trucks that make it like a van. The side parts of the rear of the warthog could be fitted with padding and seatbelts so your kids could maybe ride it to school. Sort of like side facing seats or a troop bay. That would be awesome.

Just a suggestion. Your build is really doing well.

Maybe if the turret is detachable then if you detach it, you can design a rear section that can fit on by screws. like those things on pickup trucks that make it like a van. The side parts of the rear of the warthog could be fitted with padding and seatbelts so your kids could maybe ride it to school. Sort of like side facing seats or a troop bay. That would be awesome.

Just a suggestion. Your build is really doing well.

I have put a lot of thought into this already. The turret is removable. I have yet to put the tabs on the framework or build the removable troop carrier part. But I have all my measurements and material list made for it. I want it where the seats and all will pull out on the troop carrier part pulls out in two sections. I also have a few shots of one warthog what was done by someone and put up in the google sketchup 3d warehouse. It has a regular seat in the back, like the halo 2 picture of "The HOG" civilian version. I am keeping the bronco seat attachments in the rear. I just need to put a spacer between the seat and the brackets to raise the seat up some to clear the turret mounting bar.May have to modify the bar some. I also seen a roll bar loop I like for the standard rear seat too it is in a Y pattern with the bottom of the Y facing toward the front of the vehicle. I will need to get another load of metal to do the roll bars.

Too bad the Bungie site doesn't work (for me at least), or you could buy one of those liscence plate things that says my other car is a warthog and actually mean it. This is by far, the coolest build I have seen.

I figured I would give some kind of a little update. Got another engine to go look at when I get home from work and have a local shop that is going to do the welding from the floor pan to the roll cage. He has two cars he has to work on in front of mine as of right now. After that this project should be getting back on track. I have reached the limit of what I can do with my small suitcase wire welder and need a good wire machine to get the welds like I want. I have been toying with the idea to make the side more like the Halo 4 Warthog but haven't made a full decision on that yet. Everything else I have done or was talking about doing is still pretty much the same.

Glad to see an update of sorts. At least we know you're still at it.
Can't wait to see what you come up with after it's all welded up and ready for you.

Finally some sort of an update. I'm kind sad this build isn't rolling along quicker, but I'll wait... Keep it up, we're rootin for ya.

As you can see I have had some setbacks, but each time I tried to put it back together better. Everything is aligning up good on the new chassis, we will have to trim out a little more when we do go to weld it in though. I have to take the side brackets back out too, they hit the new seat, get it redone when I put it into the shop. Just needs to move over a inch or two. Then the factory seat platforms will clear and move like they are suppose to, swap the plastic seats to them. It will also give the steering wheel some needed room. The factory steering won't need to be moved. Since I am using the factory floor pan and firewall everything will align up and work. Got a few extra braces to weld in also before it goes up to the shop so when I get home in early March I plan on pulling the framework off and doing the tweaks to it then. Then while it is on the ground Going to do the windshield front lower bracing and build a forward folding hood frame work. That way I can make sure it won't interfere with anything before I weld it down.

I will still be working with wire-frame, foam and fiberglass. I will be trying a little different technique for the body panels than I was before, I hope this will have better results than last time. I have put a lot of research into it and hope it works out.

We all hope this works out, I would love to see it finished. No matter how long it takes when your driving the finished product it would all be worth it xD

This is long over due for a update. Their have been several small updates. Sorry no pictures but the bigger updates should be coming in the next few months. The 52 Ford sidetracked me longer than I though, as projects always do. I have done more cutting and fitting of the body over the Bronco chassis. I still need to finish welding out the body to the floor pan and firewall. Working on keeping the bronco lower seat pans and the factory Bronco seats hit the side with bolted in the factory location. I am hoping the plastic seats will clear better. If not I will have to remove the side drops and move them out about 1/2" each side. I still need a engine. The scrapping that has gone on in the area has really killed the used engine market in my home area. I am looking out right now for a 302 or 351w. I have a 351M in the shop but that would require a new transmission. I am looking for drop in and bolt up. I have got some plate for the turret bullet guards and two new electric motors to mount up. One is a straight cut gear motor the other is the worm gear type. The worm gear type wouldn't need anything to stop it when turning, but should turn slower. The other will be faster but may need a brake to make it stop like it should. I have gotten two complete computer setups to go in-dash. One is a Toughbook CF-07 complete with dock and remote screen and keyboard. The other is a CF-19 with dock. Between the two it should give the effects as needed/wanted on the dash. It won't be all show as it will have a integrated internal GPS system with TOPO maps. Even though I haven't got a lot of work done on it I have still been collecting what I need and making out wiring diagrams for the rest of it. I got back to work a few days ago and will see what I can get done and what pictures I can take of the progress when I get home in a month and hopefully get back in full swing on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back