Cog Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceTray

Jr Member
Eh, yea. Too many completed and wonderfully finished Spartan's, not enough of the CoG armor. In light of that, I started working on the CoG a while ago, because I have about 4-5 months before I go back to college.

This was the chest as of a few days ago;
DSC01690.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01691.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01692.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01692.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01693.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01694.jpg
I didn't wanna post all of the pictures as images, because they're quite gigantic, sparing the slower connections. They're from a few days ago when most of it was fiberglassed, and I then found quite the boo-boo on the left above the circle.

DSC01217.jpg

Fiberglassed chest and resin'd shoulders, it's been raining on and off today, so I don't really wanna risk starting any work outdoors to have some rain make its way. ...my expression was because I didn't know the timer was on.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01702.jpg Trying to not post all these gigantic images, lol. Playing with different sizes of this belt, far as I can tell, this size works, haha. Unfortunately it's one of those pieces that will take a lot more work after-wards to get the detail into it

DSC01697.jpg

This was actually a while ago, was working on the shins. I dont use those scissors, haha, they're for cutting off tabs, because some are much larger than needed.

It's actually quite a decent build, I'm about 6'3" so I didn't scale any pieces and they all fit very well. I was pretty impressed with the chest, from the build of Marcus I didn't expect it to be something to fit well to someone, inside its extremely big, but right now that's whats letting me put it on without cutting the shoulders in half like a chief suit.. yea you can pretty much fit your arms inside the chest piece.

The only real problem are the shins, it's inpart of Marcus not being 100% proportionate to a normal human being, so the shins don't actually meet/cover the kneecap, and scaling it up creates an excess of space behind your calf, so unfortunately itll have to do, and maybe some bondo can resolve the problem. Feel free to give an opinion on that though
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/assh...wl/DSC01706.jpg
Basically shows the space between the lip above the boot, and the space behind my calf.
DSC01707.jpg

Looks moderately more normal and fit when I stretch my leg as if I were standing. Maybe I just won't ever consider sitting. =P That lip, is something I'll either leave, or remove and replace it with a malleable material, because IF I set the shin piece to match my kneecap where it should be, it works out fine, if you lower the shin piece to rest that lip on your boot, you remove a bit of mobility, can't kneel down either. Its a tricky little piece.

So thats about it, I should have something done tomorrow if the weather cleans up tonight and tomorrow.

Pretty much every piece is done, and without Autodesk being.. not so helpful, I can't really work on the shins myself. As far as the elbows go.. I dont know, lol.

that chest piece is looking pretty freaking tight! and the scale looks too big, exactly the way its supposed to be! cant wait to see this finished.

IceTray said:
The only real problem are the shins, it's inpart of Marcus not being 100% proportionate to a normal human being, so the shins don't actually meet/cover the kneecap, and scaling it up creates an excess of space behind your calf, so unfortunately itll have to do, and maybe some bondo can resolve the problem.

yeah ive been told that about he shins the only way that i have thought to resolve it was to scale it up then cut the top shine strap off and move it when you have the right scale

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDorito said:
Wow that is really good! are gonna make the lancer as well?
I printed the lancer file a while ago, the pieces are obscenely small, so its something that I might just build the largest parts, and use numerous other materials to create the small trinkets, the chain, etc. (..well, just kinda buy a chain) Unless someone feels like giving up a bare-bone lancer model or pep file.

Das Brutus said:
Looking good! Great job on the shins... Mine are on hold... irritation set in...
I know what you mean, a year or two ago after a few medical facilities and drinking barium, I was finally diagnosed with the same crap. Believe it was due to stress, but the same effects. I'm apparently not helping myself with all the pepsi I drink either, haha.

Spartan 051 said:
yeah ive been told that about he shins the only way that i have thought to resolve it was to scale it up then cut the top shine strap off and move it when you have the right scale
Ideally from using the model on scale comparison, its because Marcus' boots are about 2 -3x the height of a normal pair of boots. I'll give your idea a shot, and I'll also use the normal scale and do some modifications with bondo to see what happens.

IceTray said:
Ideally from using the model on scale comparison, its because Marcus' boots are about 2 -3x the height of a normal pair of boots. I'll give your idea a shot, and I'll also use the normal scale and do some modifications with bondo to see what happens.
You could also make a boot cover out of pep but extracting the top of the boot

I would not mess with a guy at a bar who was wearing that!

Looking really cool man. Nice to see something other than a Mark VI!

Alright, so I've finished most of the pep files I plan on using, gotta redo a shin.. the right one is gone now, haha. I've chosen against using the wrists and handplates, merely because without the elbow and bicep pieces it does look a little strange, so it's just something I'll pass on.

Since there currently isn't a thigh piece available I've been doodling the specs and designs of them to scratch build them, since I can't bring myself to go find someone to pester about ripping them properly from the model and pepping them for me, haha.

I did spend a long portion of the night trying to work on the Lancer thats been made available, but I'm going to go on a limb and debunk this one; this file is physically impossible to build, the pieces are just too small, and the complications are too high, its something you'd consider being beyond HD, its basically a big mess of details. I think staying up until 3 in the morning trying to build it can attest to my will to do it, but its lacking the possible aspect.
Something else I might have to scratch build.

Here's how we solved the shin problem.

First we cut them and fitted them to my leg so it would have a nice hold.

Then we put some craft foam inside to hide my leg and act as a hinge.

p_00124.jpg

After that you tread some straps through for some detail and strength.

p_00120.jpg

Then you thread some straps on both side, this time with buckles.

p_00121.jpg

After that you can cut off part of the top and add a strap with a buckle there to adjust the tightness. ( velcro is extremely helpful from keeping the strap from slipping through the buckle.

p_00122.jpg

The you can open it and it should leave enough room to make you have to work and slip your leg into it.

p_00123.jpg

Then it should fit and stay in place fairly well, especially with boots.

p_00125.jpg

Hope I was helpful!

Thats actually quite the idea there, I never even though of the foam and strap combination of holding it together, it looks like it works quite well too, once I get around to doing the details and final bits to the shins, I'll definitely be trying that, the only variation is that I'm intending on using certain types of padding on the insides. Thanks for that tip though, should be extremely helpful.

I'm trying to finish up the right shin again tonight, then in the wee hours, I'll add supports to numerous pieces that need it, and resin everything as a whole tomorrow. Fiberglass the shoulders, and with any luck, the rain will stay the hell away from me for the next few days.

And heres something I wipped up for myself, but figure its helpful for anyone making this chest piece and wants very specific details.
fenix_chest_details.jpg

Basically, you can coordinate the mesh with the pep so you know where certain details go in reality.

It's been about a month since this thread hasn't been posted.

Since I'm working on my Marcus Fenix costume, I have few questions since I'm total noobie.

When you were working on the shins, you've mentioned it was little out of sized. When you cut them apart, did you do that process before you fiberglassed them or cut them apart right after you fiberglassed them?

How long did it really take you to put together the whole breastplate itself in Pepakura assembly I mean?

Very nice work, from the modeling to the paint. I have a question for you, and that is how did you thread the nylon/buckle fitting through? Did you cut through your piece, if so what tool did you use? I'm afraid if I cut my armor, it'll lead to tears or weak points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back