Mid West Gathering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadMullet

so lets just say that later this summer some of us here in the Mid West decided to organize a gathering, who in the area would be willing to commit and drive down, or up, or left or right... would probably take place here in iowa, most reasonable place to hold it...seeing how its the heart of the mid-west...witch is the heart of the US... thus making Iowa the best.

so if anyone is down lets figure something out, im tired of trying to convince myself to suck it up and drive down to texas to hang out with the fine folks down there... i got the yard and workspace to host something like this, but dont have the room in the house to accommodate everyone... but there are alot of hotels within 10 min, that are nice and rather cheap... also have a big back yard, could set up tents if you were hardcore enough.

so if you would be interested, say so... if you have any ideas throw them out... If you have a better location, with better accommodations say so... but lets see if we can get those minds turning and get something rolling.

Man, thats almost mid west enough for me. I think its about 4-5 hour drive. Possibly something I could do.

I live in ohio, so its quite a drive, though Iam smack dab in the middle of the country (almost) plus I live on 3 acres of unplowed farmland and a huge barn....but I don't think my mom would let me host anymore partys...espically after the last one ended up with our neighbor having his old outhouse burned down (not my fault)

smick6 said:
Man, thats almost mid west enough for me. I think its about 4-5 hour drive. Possibly something I could do.
you wouldnt be interested in bringing say a spiker mold to something like this perhaps?... if you and only you showed up it would still be a good turn out.

i was starting to get a little depressed... 30 some views no replies... maybe the midwest users just arent as active? i cant imagine loess not wanting to come to a gathering, seeing as how its like a hr. drive for him, i believe he is the closet member to me...

but honestly, come on you mid-westerns yall were complaining about not being able to go to texas for a gathering. and yes i know the beloved adam, or dave or any other of them great builders wouldnt be showing up... but i think that we have some great builders here in the midwest (and one Elite builder said he might) and it would be a great experience to get us all together and show the world that not only are there great builders in texas, but here in the heart land as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea unfortunately its probably going to be at least a 4 hour drive for most... but until we have enough members and everyone has something they can bring we cant really do state gatherings... except for texas :mad: ... so until then we will just have to make a commitment and drive.

like i said if anyone has a better location to hold it, and is interested speak up... i just offered it here because its a start and i would be willing. is there anyone in Illinois that would be willing to host this? that way we could get some of our other members that are more eastern US to show up?

and Lee if you came i would probably need to revamp my shop... it isnt suitable for a legend to see or step foot in.

DreadMullet said:
so lets just say that later this summer some of us here in the Mid West decided to organize a gathering, who in the area would be willing to commit and drive down, or up, or left or right... would probably take place here in iowa, most reasonable place to hold it...seeing how its the heart of the mid-west...witch is the heart of the US... thus making Iowa the best.
so if anyone is down lets figure something out, im tired of trying to convince myself to suck it up and drive down to texas to hang out with the fine folks down there... i got the yard and workspace to host something like this, but dont have the room in the house to accommodate everyone... but there are alot of hotels within 10 min, that are nice and rather cheap... also have a big back yard, could set up tents if you were hardcore enough.

so if you would be interested, say so... if you have any ideas throw them out... If you have a better location, with better accommodations say so... but lets see if we can get those minds turning and get something rolling.
I agree, Iowa is the best. lol. Seeing as I'm only 14, I wont be able to attend this meeting. But keep me informed on what happens.

Urbandale's only a little bit farther than Ames, so that's an OK drive for me. 4 hrs in the car is easy after getting used to driving back to my parents' place from school every couple weeks so I could get some time in the shop. I don't know if anyone would want to come farther west than DM's, but I could probably talk my folks into letting me host a shindig out at their farm, with the woodshop, steel shop, and my forge.

Keegan said:
It could just be in Wisconsin, *cough*
But why would it be in Wisconsin? After all, the only thing Wisconsins's got going for it is that it's the super awesomest state in the history of history.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
But why would it be in Wisconsin? After all, the only thing Wisconsins's got going for it is that it's the super awesomest state in the history of history.
you do have a point there... ive been up there in Wisconsin quite a bit, and i must say its one of my favorite places... great people, great countryside, beautiful women, fantastic cheese, home of the Packers... its almost perfect, except i dont call it home :(

I wouldnt mind hosting one of these eventually when Ive got the house to myself, unless if there was a place we could go around me, I cant host anything yet.

Well I'm not sure how long I'm going to be in Indiana. I might be moving to Virgina. I'm hoping to find a job in Indiana. Plus It is a 8 hour drive....car pool!? I'm in Post Grad Limbo right now....sucks!

I'm near chicago so its a 5 hour drive for me, not bad at all, but it would have to be on a Sunday preferrably. But I also have nothing to offer, (now I could always mooch but hey, I wish right? [although I get discounts on fiberglass/resin/bondo/dremels/etc. at Ace hardware, so I could always do that and set up a mini-store). But I still like the idea of mooching.

I actually do have a place if I were to host one of these, I may be up for it. If anyone wants to take the drive, I wouldnt mind setting something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back