Tutorial: Make & Paint Your Own See-through Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude this sounds to me like a long and hard process because Im new to this armor makeing stuff. but your finished results give me the push to do it. Thanks alot man. its hard to find tutorials for stuff that has a really good finish and whatever this sticky stuff is you got my vote friend.

Excellent tut. Ive got a couple of questions, though- How much did the chemical mask cost and is there anywhere besides a surplus store that I could get something like this?

Velveeta said:
Excellent tut. Ive got a couple of questions, though- How much did the chemical mask cost and is there anywhere besides a surplus store that I could get something like this?

I couldn't say what the chem defense masks costs as I picked them up while deployed. They were damaged and headed for destruction when I claimed them. This method will work with any clear plastic material, including vacu-formed visors. Try your local sign shop and see if they have any spare material. Even a plastic fish bowl could be re-purposed. Flight helmet visors and motor cycle helmets are also suitable candidates. The whole point of this site is about figuring out how to use materials for different purposes than they were originally intended. Well, maybe not the whole point.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info. now it should be easier to create the visor for my mk v.

continue to move forward with your advancements, for they shall prove bountiful.

Kodorei said:
Cool, I'll try this on my Vac-formed ODST visor.

hey if you have done that how did it turn out? just asking cuz i'm gunna try it on my ODST visor as well.

Wow wish I found this before I bought the reflective visor for my mc armor lol. but great job that looks amazing and I will be trying this in the future.

Don't meant to necro, but I have a question on this method: seeing as how it works for a ODST/MC visor, could this method be modified for something like this?

KamenRiderFaiz.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated.

OxA said:
Don't meant to necro, but I have a question on this method: seeing as how it works for a ODST/MC visor, could this method be modified for something like this?

KamenRiderFaiz.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated.

Yes,

In this case (whatever this is?), you may want to deviate from the above procedure and try misting the silver onto the back (inside) of the visor and do the yellow on the outside. This would give it more depth. I notice that the visor has a pattern to it--like a fingerprint or concentric circles. You would emulate that by the airbrush pattern inside with the silver paint (either by masking, or by skilled airbrushing). Where no silver was painted, it would appear dark from the outside. These areas would also have the added benefit of being the most transparent to see through. Good luck.

Redshirt

nice tut but how would i go about makeing a EVA Helmet useing this and it looks like u would be able to use a per-painted paintball mask for the bottom layer

Alternatively for the reflectivity, if you don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with the paint. You could always vacuum form a visor out of this stuff

http://www.mirropane.com/

then just color over it with a gold transparent paint

Just to be sure this product you recommended can be heated so a vacuum can seal it? And it cools down? And it is hard? Also is there even such thing of a gold transparent paint?

For anyone worried about the airbrushing/painting part of this lest they mess it up:

Go to your local supermarket or newsagency and take a visit to the stationery or school goods section. You should be able to find contact wrap, used to form a protective cover seal on kids school books. It comes in rolls similar to wrapping paper and is self-adhesive. It is most often found clear, and you can use this as a barrier and surface to paint on rather than painting directly onto the visor. It is quite easy to handle, but you should only peel it from the nonstick backing paper as you need it, piece by piece, as you smooth it onto the visor.

Just to be sure this product you recommended can be heated so a vacuum can seal it? And it cools down? And it is hard? Also is there even such thing of a gold transparent paint?

Yeah, I wanted to know if the metalizer does make a difference and if there really is a gold transparent paint and how much it might cost?

By The Way, GREAT TUTORIAL! I would have been so lost without you. My Mark VI helm goes off to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back