Tutorial: Make & Paint Your Own See-through Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to your local supermarket or newsagency and take a visit to the stationery or school goods section. You should be able to find contact wrap, used to form a protective cover seal on kids school books.
Would you be able to post a picture of the product label and/or a link to the product? I have never seen this is the US and had not heard of it until you posted it awhile back in another thread.

i realize there probably isn't a big "market/desire" for this but is there a paint combination/method to making the visor black? I'm not a big Ford fan, but Henry had it right.

i realize there probably isn't a big "market/desire" for this but is there a paint combination/method to making the visor black? I'm not a big Ford fan, but Henry had it right.

"You can have any color you want, as long as it's black" They even use that quote for the black visor in the Halo Reach game.

Zat German,
There is a picture of the products I used on page one of this thread. Really any very fine silver (or even gold) metallic paint can be used as the base. The trick is to get it sprayed thin enough and even enough to be able to see through. Tamiya makes the clear colors that I mixed to get the desired visor shade. Testors Metalizer paint was my choice for the silvering effect.

-Redshirt

Making a black visor could be done one of two ways: By using a spray tint or by using a very thin mist of black paint. Since there are commercial spray tint products available, I'd definitely start there. Testors Spray Transparent Window Black, product #2949 is what I'd try first. I just searched "Spray window tint" on Google and it jumped out at me. Unlikely that your local store will have it, but the big online hobby suppliers will hook you up. Good luck.

-Redshirt

Zat German,
There is a picture of the products I used on page one of this thread. Really any very fine silver (or even gold) metallic paint can be used as the base. The trick is to get it sprayed thin enough and even enough to be able to see through. Tamiya makes the clear colors that I mixed to get the desired visor shade. Testors Metalizer paint was my choice for the silvering effect.
I was not asking about the stuff you used but about the "contact wraps" that Chantelle was talking about using. :)

I would like to do something similar, but There's just no where I've check that I can get the same kind of visor. I don't know if they still sell those or have something similar.

I'd really like to try this as a new project... Or turn my legendary helmet into an actual wearable hemet.

Btw the helmet an visor look AMAZING!!

I know this is a Necro on a TUT, But what the hey.

Hey Red Shirt.
I would have just PM'd you but yours isn't up.

I just read thruogh your TUT and I had I have a question.

When running the Tamiya Clear coats through, did you have any Gum-up problems?
I'm thinking of using your method on a few Visors for a Build I'm Working.

And do you possibly have anymore visiblilty pictures of your full finished Product besides the one you've posted?

Thanks.

Just read through the whole thing and OMG Red you are spectacularly, fantastically, inspirationally AMAZING!!! Thanks for this tut I cant wait to get started!

-This DEFINITELY needs to be stickied

Hi, I was wondering whether I have to apply the clear paint for this method to work, or can I use something like cellophane instead?

I really do apologize for the noob question, but this method actually uses paints that still allow for the wearer to see through to the other side? Is an airbrush the only method for this, or can it also be applied via another method?

<sniffle> most genius sir, insert applause here.. p.s. - our supply sergeant is gonna haate us after this week, i think everyone on the team wants this mod for their field masks lol..

Jona: Sorry to take so long. Cellophane can add the color, but it won't want to make the compound curves to cover the visor. That said, you could try shrinking it after you apply it by using a heat gun to shrink out the wrinkles, just like the RC airplane guys do with the plastic wing coatings (Monokote).

-Redshirt

Ryu 62: Only an airbrush will result in an even coat of metal that's consistent and thin enough to see through. The clear colors are finicky, being very thick right from the bottle and require a lot thinning to spray. I don't think they would brush well. I know you can find some very basic and inexpensive airbrushes that will do the job well at hobby stores or Amazon. Expensive airbrushes excel at painting fine details, this is not what you need for this project, or weathering your armor. Cheap will do nicely.

-Redshirt

I believe that spray tinting would work. Film will crinkle.

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back