Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Th3 FETT MAN said:
Hey guys heres the New ODST gauntlets

These are very smooth and are very game accurate just without alot of the detail.
These were modeled and unfolded by me
Hope you like and Nightshade if you dont want these here ill delete post
Size is fixed its 101mmx200mm which is around height 4in width 7.8in

Not gonna say it's a bad file, because i don't think i could do anything even remotely resembling something that actually exists. However, it's not quite game-accurate. In the above screenshots, there seems to be a disconnect from the elbow and the forearm piece itself. And i don't know why, but it just bothers me a bit that it looks as cylindrical as it does.

It's a good start, but i think it could use a bit of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what we're talking about.

If you have seen the Weta files that were posted here some time ago. You notice that there are three peice to make the chest peice right. the middle peice in the game is sticking out more than the other two.

You model just shows one solid , curved, flat peice. you need to make the middle stick out more.

If I were you I would check the WETA pep files. They are a good source in making these new more detailed peices.

==============================
Hey Th3 FETT MAN, I tried downloading that gauntlet file but it crashed as I opened it with pepakura.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

it's very similar to SKG's and friends pep weta chest but it's in 3 parts the new chest is all in one (the plate I'm talking about is the middle plate of the weta chest it's on the new one too but its attached to the lower plate) or the part i circled in yellow.

Halo3_ODST-Rookieedited-1.jpg

That is a Great start to the gauntlet!
Although, just from my perspective, it looks to me that the top of the gauntlet (the side opposite the elbow pad) is still flat, so the whole shape wouldn't really be a tube, I also think there might be a greater taper to it (I know my forearm is a good bit larger than my wrist is).
Like I said, just trying to make observations for any revisions.

this thread has produced so much so fast, Thanks guys!

I just wanna say to the guys working there @$#% off these days on modeling and unfolding .... YOU ARE MACHINES !!!

Thanks alot for all the hard work ... or not so hard for some ;) It's really appreciated ... Keep up the AMAZING work !!!

The areas that need to be raised up are in black.
sDG.jpg

As you can see, the peice looks more like three peices.

The middle also has a slightly raised area too.

I hope you can make this change to make it more accurate.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

good work. I tried to do a shin in wings 3d but I couldn't figure out how to add a new face lol so it turned out crappy. I have the photoshoped drawing of the side of the shin if you want it.
[attachment=9773:inner_leg_odst.pdf]

Here's a good reference picture for what they're talking about

GI_Cover.jpg

You'll notice the middle area is raised about an inch to an inch and a half from the two side pieces. And it is all one piece. I never liked the WETA version. It looked good and all, but they strayed too far from the game art. Nightshade, your models are great. I think with the chest, you just needed some more reference, that's all. You're doing a fantastic job, and I'm waiting to build pieces of my ODST suit to see if you come out with a better model.

Take your time... do it so that you are satisfied. If that means pleasing the masses, then so be it. I will remind those masses that the WETA version and game accurate versions of the ODST armor is very different. So please don't compare this stuff to WETA workshop's pieces.

Malechei said:
You'll notice the middle area is raised about an inch to an inch and a half from the two side pieces. And it is all one piece. I never liked the WETA version. It looked good and all, but they strayed too far from the game art. Nightshade, your models are great. I think with the chest, you just needed some more reference, that's all.

i know that the Weta armor is not 100% the same as the game, but i think that one reason is that it offers more movment to the person. it may be in three peaces but that allows you to possibly feed yourself wile in your armor. (unlike some spartens that i have seen) that is the main reson that i am making a cross between the game and the Weta.(im hoping to be able to do a combat roll :D and repel)

The in-game chestplate should allow plenty of movement, if sized correctly. It's not all that different from body armor. Also, notice the chestplate is not flat, but has a slight curve to it to follow the curve of the torso.

Being able to do stuff like combat roll is high on my list of priorities, and I'm certain that after a day sweating in odst armor you will repel, people that is. :p Rappeling, on the other hand, would be cool to do in armor. :D

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
The in-game chestplate should allow plenty of movement, if sized correctly. It's not all that different from body armor. Also, notice the chestplate is not flat, but has a slight curve to it to follow the curve of the torso.

Being able to do stuff like combat roll is high on my list of priorities, and I'm certain that after a day sweating in odst armor you will repel, people that is. :p Rappeling, on the other hand, would be cool to do in armor. :D

im looking into using a repelling harness as part of the strapping when putting it all together. i know that it might be impractical but it would look cool to do it in a fan film or something. and what els am i going to put in my back pack besides rope and other cool things to pull out and pose with. (im looking into the pack in the concept art, i think it will be a nice platform to carry around rockets)

Adding in a rappeling harness would not be difficult at all. I think some careful attention to the fit of the thighs would be essential, but there's enough stuff on the front of the ODST armor to get away with it.

Ya, the chest piece isn't one piece. It's pretty much the Halo 3 version plus two rectangle/pockets/things on each side of the middle chest plate. The two side chest plates have raised up areas towards the center edge.

Anyways, besides some inaccuracy with that piece, the shoulder looks spot on.

Also, the side stomach plates look slightly different.

I'd definitely say that the chest plate is, in fact, one piece with pouches attached to it. I've studied so many screenshots, videos, and the McFarlane figure that my head hurts.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
I'd definitely say that the chest plate is, in fact, one piece with pouches attached to it. I've studied so many screenshots, videos, and the McFarlane figure that my head hurts.

It may be one piece, can never tell. It can go either way.

Buck is the ONLY ODST in the game that uses standard ODST equipment. You should use Buck as reference, not the concept art ODST.
(I Apologize for the lack of quality as the picture of his Armor was small, so I had to buff it up a bit. But you can clearly see that the chest armor is infact in 3 separate parts)
Buckarmor.gif

First, I should point out that ALL of the ODSTs wear the same armor. Some of them just have some funky additions. While some people may be thrown off by those additions to the armor, I am not. With that in mind, here are the pictures.

First, the exact same picture S1l3nt V1p3er posted, but in high def and blown up. Turns out, when you can actually see it, it's not so clear that it's in 3 pieces. The bottom looks kinda like it could be, but the top very clearly melds right into the center piece.
untitled.jpg

I should point out that, at that time in production, the above picture was still considered concept art.

Now, a shot from an actual in-game cinematic released by Bungie. You can clearly see Dutch's chest plate (again, they all wear the same armor, just different additions). It is obviously in one piece with a couple pouches added on to each side.
untitled2.jpg

Moving on, I wanted to go back to the original Halo 3 game model of the ODST because, well, that's the model that Bungie is building off of. Here are a few shots from Halo 3 where you can clearly see the chest is one piece.
untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

The ONLY time that the chest piece has ever been in 3 seperate pieces was in the WETA version of the armor. I'm not necessarily saying that anything is wrong with that. I'm just saying that if anyone wants armor that is accurate the the Halo3: ODST game, then Nightshade is definitely on the right track.

Mal

Th3 FETT MAN said:
Hey guys heres the New ODST gauntlets
ODST_GAUNTLETS_Th3 FETT MAN

2009-06-08_13-17-54-406.png

These are very smooth and are very game accurate just without alot of the detail.
These were modeled and unfolded by me
Hope you like and Nightshade if you dont want these here ill delete post
Size is fixed its 101mmx200mm which is around height 4in width 7.8in

Heres the ODST Gernade

http://www.4shared.com/file/110633010/9563...3_FETT_MAN.html
2009-06-08_13-54-16-406.png

its the exact size it should be. Modeled and unfolded By me
Night shade if you can just post these in the first post and i can delete this

hey so what if it doesnt have all the details,bondo will make up for their absent(now i can use my dremery rotary cutting tool YAY!!!! (y) (y) (y) :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back