Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok the NEW ODST GAUNTLET
Ive fixed the trapper thinggy and made it how you guys asked

NEW_ODST_GAUNTLET_Th3 FETT MAN_PD3
NEW_ODST_GAUNTLET_Th3 FETT MAN_PD2

2009-06-09_11-25-15-750.png

If you have any other things you want done to it ill do it and sorry for the long wait i didnt feel the greatest last night

thanks,
Quinn

Sweet gauntlet dude, but I think it would be much better if you connected the elbow peice with the gauntlet (no red lines).

Other than that little request, its awsome.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

ACDCrockr209 said:
Sweet gauntlet dude, but I think it would be much better if you connected the elbow peice with the gauntlet (no red lines).

Other than that little request, its awsome.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

The only reason i did that is so one gauntlet is universal and f you notice on the in game version it looks as if its just sitting on the gauntlet i was trying to make it abit easier for others, I will post one in Pepakura 2

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually works a little beter if its not connected. I don't know if you've noticed but in the different poses of the group, the elbow is stationary on the elbow, not connected to the actual gauntlet. just FYI.

Oh, and great job Fett Man.

Nice gauntlet work! It definitely looks a lot better with the taper towards the bottom a la spartan forearms. The unfold looks kind of tedious though.. not saying you should fix it, just saying is all.

As for the debate over whether the chest piece is a fixed single piece or three individual pieces, I personally think it should look like one piece on the outside but move and act as three pieces. For example, if someone were to hinge the two outer flange-looking parts with hinges to the central protruding part at the back, it would still look like one piece from the outside and very much be one connected part, but it moves as three. That way you still get maximum mobility, being able to bring your arms together and such. To me it looks like the chest plate kind of covers a little bit of the armpit area from the front meaning if the chest was one solid piece it would inhibit movement like the spartan chest pieces.

New PD2 file is up in previous post
And Jareyes i can post a better version up if you like me to unfold it again its not a problem for me im here to make it easier for you

Hey guys.

Hey, Malechei, thanks for all those great photos. Guys, I'm really sorry about these inaccuracies. I guess I should have hunted for more pictures first. I'll have the new model up ASAP, and, yes, it will be in one piece. By the way, in case anyone didn't notice, the chest plate is curved to fit the chest.

You'll notice the middle area is raised about an inch to an inch and a half from the two side pieces. And it is all one piece. I never liked the WETA version. It looked good and all, but they strayed too far from the game art. Nightshade, your models are great. I think with the chest, you just needed some more reference, that's all. You're doing a fantastic job, and I'm waiting to build pieces of my ODST suit to see if you come out with a better model.

Hey, thanks for staying positive despite the big inaccuracies. It's nice to hear that within a pool of criticism (not like that's bad or anything ... I just got a little dissappointed with myself for those all errors ... that's all).

I'm gonna completely remove those clips off the top (sorry I even included them in the first place. I was afraid that someone would come on and say that I forgot to include them or something. Sorry). I'll also remove those pouch thingys (and make a seperate file so anyone can add as many as they want. I'll also take a closer look and edit them to be more accurate).

Also, once the pouch geometry is removed, I'll try to add a smooth transition from the center piece to the side pieces, while raising the center piece an inch or something. Sorry I didn't notice that. I'll also add the small raised area which sits on both side plates close to the center piece. You may have noticed that I added an inch or so of extension on the extreme sides of the side plates. I don't know why. It just looked like that on the GameInformer pics. I'm sorry it's there. I'll also remove the raised geometry near the bottom of the side plates (the line starting at the indented plate at the bottom). It just looked like it was there in the picture.

I'll also pay attention to the geometry at the bottom of the center piece. It looks less curved, with some downward geometry on the sides. The center part on the center plate also looks like the top half grows a tad bit wider. I'll include that too. Oh, and also, on the sides of the area where Buck and Dutch's names appear, I'll be sure to push down the meeting point between the center plate and the side plates. (The center plate's about an inch higher)

Again, guys I'm really, really sorry about these inaccuracies. It's kind of embarrassing that I screwed the model up so bad. If I had had all this reference before hand, the modeling would have gone faster and easier. But please, gimme a second chance and I'll have the new, and majorly improved model up ASAP. So thanks, and stay posted.

A little ashamed,
Shade

EDIT: You know, howabout I just publish two versions of the chest-plate. One as a single-piece model, and one as a three-piece model. That way, everybody's happy.

Thanks, these will help a lot. I was planning on using the CQB chest pep for my ODST but now I can be more accurate.

Nightshade, no need to apologize. You're doing great work here. Some of us can get a little "spirited" when it comes to accuracy. ;)

A little ashamed,

Ashamed? Why should you feel ashamed? :lol: You're doing a kick butt job here man! The files you've made have come out great, and with just a little positive feedback and criticism, you'll have the chest piece worked up the right way in no time! All the stuff people have said pretty much come down to this... Make the chest piece curved, which you have already done. Make the two "side" pieces either a little lower than the center piece, or just make them seperate, it's up to you. Remove the hooks on top, because they could be a bit hard to put together, and lastly, if people wish to make the pouches for the side pieces, you could make a seperate file for them so people can add as many as they wish.

I'm loving every bit of this thread dude! Keep up the good work. But don't forget! Don't kill yourself! It's fine to take into consideration what people want for these files, but you don't have to give up on anything else you have a responsibility to. Like my dad always tells me... Life first, Forum second. ;)

Oh, and P.S. I've got a suprise for you Nightshade. I'll send you a pm in a few minutes. :cool:

Here is a layout I drew for the boot armor:
ODSTboottoelayout.jpg

The orange part is the boot that you will be wearing(sorry that its badly drawn). The gray areas are the places when the straps will be going around the boot. The white areas are the main armor peices.

I think it has a simple straping system. The straps that go in the "cup" on the armor would have a snap button thing (forgot what its called :rolleyes ).

The square peice I have no clue what its for but I think it looks pretty cool to go on an ODST boot. It will also have straps that will probably be going around the boot.

If you guys need any more drawing just let me know ASAP.

I want to be as helpful as I can to make my ODST brothers and sisters look the best they can be.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

You're doing a great job Nice to see a game suit being made
Skullcandy Girl

Hey Skullcandy Girl! This is the very first I've heard from you. I tried to send you a PM with a little about me when I first joined a few days ago, but your inbox was full. I'm so glad you're liking the (slightly delayed due to criticisms) progress. I'm just trying to be accurate and please everyone. Understand this isn't the easiest task. But I try to use all the criticism I get to improve the model.

Thanks, these will help a lot. I was planning on using the CQB chest pep for my ODST but now I can be more accurate
Didact
I really hope that you wait for the new and much-improved model to come out (soon, guys). And yes, it will be much more accurate (more than the original), so thanks, and stay posted!

Nightshade, no need to apologize. You're doing great work here. Some of us can get a little "spirited" when it comes to accuracy.
MrOreo123

I know how important accuracy is around here. Just understand that I'm working as fast as I can. I wished I had waited longer before posting pics of the original chest plate. People are going to look at those and think, "Well this isn't accurate, I'll just move on." The members aren't the only ones "spirited" about this. I've been working (between studying for the ACT Saturday ... yes, two tests, back to back. I'm glad I get first honors, or I'd have to study a lot more) a lot to improve this model. But thanks for the positive encouragement!

Ashamed? Why should you feel ashamed? You're doing a kick butt job here man! The files you've made have come out great, and with just a little positive feedback and criticism, you'll have the chest piece worked up the right way in no time ... I'm loving every bit of this thread dude! Keep up the good work. But don't forget! Don't kill yourself! It's fine to take into consideration what people want for these files, but you don't have to give up on anything else you have a responsibility to. Like my dad always tells me... Life first, Forum second.
HeavyGunner
Thanks, man. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. That's some good advice you posted there: "Life first, Forum second". If this modeling starts taking up any more time, this will be something I'll have to start living by. Thanks for keeping my spirits up. I'll have that file up ASAP. I just feel like, if I don't have a file out soon after the previous one, people will start forgetting about this thing. Oh well, I'll have to remember that it'll take some time for them to build the models. If you're waiting for the next one, please spend this time building the first. (Just my advice).

And hey, Th3 FETT MAN, looks like the competition is heating up (hehe - just kidding ;) ) That pistol looks cool! (But what's up with those faces at the back?). Anyways, great work!

And to everyone, stay posted, the new chest plate is closer than you think. Here's a progress shot (emphasis on progress. This isn't final):

redonechestplate1.jpg

If there's still some error, let me know. Remember, I still plan to connect the side plates (obvisously), bed the side plates a bit, add the indent at the bottom of the side plates, etc.

Busy working on the new chest plate,

Shade

WOW! THIS THREAD KICKS Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every day I retun to find somthing new and amazing! Awsome job! On another note, the one thing were missing is the leg/thigh piece. Now, Sceenshots are easy to come by, but the other day I was playing Halo3 and I noticed somthing, THE HALO3 ODSTs HAVE THE SAME THIGH PIECE! I looked at it and relized if you took the WETA thigh piece and put it on a spartan MK VI thigh piece, it would be pretty much the same thing! Anyway, thas what i was just pondering. Again Amazing work, Everyone! WOW!

Now if we could just get a pep friendly, sliced SMG..........

wow its turning out great Shade and i hope you dont mine me posting my stuff in here.
and i dont really know why the back faces are grey.
Anyway keep it up and ill be ready to unfold it for you right away

Hey, ACDCrockr, that pic looks great for a drawing made in paint. That'll be very helpful for the complete boot armor and strap them correctly. That reminds me, hey FETT MAN, would you mind if, at some time, I took a crack at modeling those boot pieces? I wanted to ask, before I made you, and you felt like I was ... stepping into your territory. If you'd prefer me not doing that, just say the word.

Speaking of you, FETT MAN, know that you can always post your models in this thread. It's as much yours as mine. And not like I could stop you if you did ...

And Rookie, I'm loving the enthusiasm. Thanks for the compliments on everyone's work. I know we've all been working hard (possibly too hard). Keep up the energy, and lemmi see some pics of a pep model if you finish one!

Shade

Hey, ACDCrockr, that pic looks great for a drawing made in paint. That'll be very helpful for the complete boot armor and strap them correctly.

Heh thanks!! If you need anymore let me know.

BTW Hey fett, I'm almmost done unfold that pistol that you made. Do you want me to post a link for people to download?

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

night you can do it ill let you get some done and ill work on other things.

And ACDCCrocker i have already unfolded it are you reunfolding it or???
You can post ink its fine with me

Hey Shade, you're doing a great job. I'm a little anal-retentive about accuracy, so don't mind me if I jump on a few people pointing out non-existent inaccuracies.

Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back