Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Ral Partha, nice to see you. Thanks for another great unfolding! Those P2 files seem to be in demand as well.

I had always thought that both parts of the armor in a single file would be difficult to unfold, but I guess you proved me wrong. I'll add that file to the first post. Thanks!

And LeadingSpartan, thanks for the compliment! I might be able to do those forearms, but keep in mind that (while my friend Th3 FETT MAN plans to work on the backpack -- I actually think there are two versions -- look in the pictures) I think I'm going to model the front first (large plate, equiptment boxes and groin plate). Some have also asked for boots and thighs, too, so there may be a wait. Remember, I can't make every model that quickly.

Here's a my sketch of the large front plate of the ODST armor on the cover of the GameInformer Magazine off of which I based the shoulders. This model should come along fine, although I don't think I'll have time to get to it until tommorrow afternoon (I'm finally getting a chance to get out of the house tommorow morning). So until then, make sure Th3 FETT MAN doesn't beat me too it. Here's the sketch:

sketch2s.png

Shade

well here are the pic you were wanting soooooo badly. BTW the tape is there just to hold then in place and i had to modify the lower part for i could attach the block part

P6060130.jpg

P6060131.jpg

P6060132.jpg

P6060134.jpg

P6060133.jpg

@ rvb18:
looks great! just a bit to big. But nice pep job.

The thigh pieces are a little different, the inner thigh is all thats changed from the weta version. But i plan on scratch building the inserts...that is unless someone does a file first.

WOAH! Nice, RVB18. You're the first person to get photos of the model up for the community! Kudos to you, sir! The pepping looks pretty good (although I'd advise you to resin before actaully connecting them. If you just did that so we could see how it all fit together, then that's cool). Nice graphics. I might be able to get somebody (*cough cough*) to add something like that to their unfolded file (like adding "Feet First.") or something. Thanks for including pictures of them on your arm. That's looking great! (I personally don't think they are toooo big. Compared to your chest, maybe, but remember, with the under-armor, chest pieces, equiptment and backpack, I think the scale will be just right)

those r so totally sweet mate!!

'The Captain'
I'm glad you like the files! HeavyGunner has put in a lot of work to unfold these for us. I hope you decide to build them and get some pics up on the forums ...

But i plan on scratch building the inserts...that is unless someone does a file first.

DYSTORTED INC
May I remind you of this little quote from link posted just a day before I introduced the first new models?

i scatch build most of my parts. if i want it done i'll do it myself and not set around and wait for someone do it for me
Link4044

Who knows. Just maybe, some new models might pop up before you know it (*hint hint*)

How accurate does the chest sketch look? The picture was a little dark, so I must have missed something. Also, the two small details on the sides at the top are actually metal clips for the backpack straps. I'll still include those in the model anyway.

PS - Rvb18, it's just cool to think how, once fiberglassed, those plates would act pretty well as more than for-show armor. A little padding and some real straps, and those bad boys would reflect some nasty punches pretty well

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought it was big too but then i realized it's almost the same size as the magazine photos. it dont look it but i like to slouch and i think i was in the photos too.

edit: i thought the pictures wernt too good so heres a vid!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyRXcJ7MCQ[/media]

Dude those models are bloody awsome!!!

If your going to make some new models, you should deffinately make that chest peice that you drew up first.

We ODSTs need a new chest peice to look our most badassy-ness when we walk to the grocery store to buy eggs, cheese, and milk lol.

Can't wait to start getting back to work on my armors!!

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

SA-WEET-NESS!! Great video, man, and nice sound quality. I love it! One of my rooms are "in contruction" right now (new wallpaper), so I know all about that. Everything looks much nicer in the video! (I really love the helmet!). PS - Was that a Halo shirt I spotted in the old pics? Anyway, superb job. Even if you get better pics, keep the vid (if the mods allow it).

For your hard work, I'm giving you a sneak preview of my latest model, something I'm sure you all will be excited to see. It's still a little in developement (just proportional stuff, etc), but it still looks great. Also, with your Pepakura Angle Threshold set to around 165 degrees, there are very few faces, resulting in a very smooth model requiring LITTLE OR NO BONDO to stil look great (I know that will save some ... in Skullcandy Girl's words (or around there) ... sand, sand, sand, profanity, throw something, sand, sand, sand, repeat). I'll get some guys on the job unfolding it ASAP (I'll just PM them right now). I don't really want to release the actual obj file, but I included some screenshots, so enjoy. (Again, due to little reference, I'm not sure if this is in the game version or not. It was taken from GameInformer cover ... again). I'd sugguest clicking back a page and taking a closer look at the upper chest piece. Some parts are a little hard to see.

Since I'm even more unsure about the accuracy of this model compared to the shoulder files, please offer any suggestions to improve game accuracy. The model has 486 polys and 436 verticies, but very few faces when loaded into Pepakura. Also, you might have notices that the black parts on both sides are missing. I though it would be easier to add those on after fiberglassing, but if there's a big problem with that, I guess I can add those. (Speaking of Pepakura, I'll make sure to get unfolded files for both versions this time). Since I know you're all excited, I'll stop talking and show the pics:

NEW HALO 3: ODST UPPER CHEST PLATE (Sorry, this isn't a link ... yet)
Modeled By (Guess Who?): Nightshade

---------------------------------------------

Modeling Screenshot 1:

chestplatemodeling1.jpg

Modeling Screenshot 2:

chestplatemodeling.jpg

Pepakura Screenshots: (Admire the smoothness!)

chestplatepepakura1.jpg

chestplatepepakura2.jpg

chestplatepepakura3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This model was a bit harder than those shoulders, if you can believe it. I had to keep everything smooth and flat, but still round and in the proper proportions. But I remembered that lots of people wanted a new model and would be eager to help complete it, and that drove to me to finish the model at three am, so thanks a lot. It would still be half-finished and half-totally-sucky right now if it weren't for you guys.

Back again with a new model in just a few days,

Shade

(And I'm not even close to being tired yet)

Dude those models are bloody awsome!!!
Thanks! I'm glad you like them. It's nice to see another enthusiastic ODST fan

If your going to make some new models you should deffinately make that chest peice that you drew up first.

We ODSTs need a new chest peice to look our most badassy-ness when we walk to the grocery store to buy eggs, cheese, and milk lol.

Can't wait to start getting back to work on my armors!!

-Pony

How's this (above post)? (Hehe). Was that what you were looking for. They say I should slow down, but, as I said before, I wont. I promise. I was working on that armor even before you asked for it. (Sorry. I'm sure you'll agree that's worthy for at least some bragging).

I don't know about the grocery store, but that chest piece will certainly protect you from eggs, cheese, milk, and anything else the security guard throws at you after you scare the crap out of him with your new ODST armor. We need a video with a bunch of Texas spartans throwing eggs at each other. That would be sooo cool. (Sorry. I'm weird).'

I hope this model will make the "future" just a little shorter before you're a full-fledged ODST! (I read your sig)

-------------------------------------------------------

Again, big thanks to Rvb18 for the great video. I never learned how to embed those into my posts. Then I could put up a speed-modeling vid someday.

Always quick to deliver,

Shade

By the way, here's quick screenshot of Pepakura's standard unfolding of the chest plate. It's just over 2 pages, plus a massive piece. I guess we'll have to break it up

unfoldingscreenshot1.png

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. It's nice to see another enthusiastic ODST fan
Heh heh gotta love those Helljumpers am I right or am I right lol.

I don't know about the grocery store, but that chest piece will certainly protect you from eggs, cheese, milk, and anything else the security guard throws at you after you scare the crap out of him with your new ODST armor. We need a video with a bunch of Texas spartans throwing eggs at each other. That would be sooo cool. (Sorry. I'm weird).'

Heh heh that true. It would be sweet to scare the crap out of someone with my ODST suit.

A Spartan Cooking Vid hmmm messy, enterertaining, and awsome. A new way in making an omlet...Spartan Style!!

I hope this model will make the "future" just a little shorter before you're a full-fledged ODST! (I read your sig)

Thanks for the compliment!!

===================================================

A little criticism on the chest peice:

Can you make the chest peice look as if there are "three" parts to the chest peice. As you can tell from the games and the figure, the middle peice seems to stick out more while the rest is flat.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

oh ya i forgot i was wearing that thing my mom bought that 2 days ago thinking oh this is only 5 dollars and it says xbox maybe he'll like it and it terned out to be a UNSCDF shirt with the 405th's old logo on it lol. i was like wtf is wrong with you, thats halo!!! lol

edit: the chest that you made (no offense) is not that game accurate (your chest just needs a little added plate in the middle) so heres a better reference (best pic i could find)

Halo3_ODST-Rookie.jpg

What "added plate" are you talking about? I didn't seen another plate in the vid (the guys arms are in the way). If you could just describe it to me, that would be cool. I also notices that the two boxy thingys on both sides should be raised a bit more. Please blame the inaccuracies on the apparent lack of good reference (pics without people's arms in the way).

Here, I made a few small edits in the model, but I guess I still need to add that mysterious plate that I just can't seem to see. I raised those boxes a bit, put them a tad bit more rotated back, changed the shape of those pushed-back faces at the top and pushed 'em back a tad bit more. I also edited the size and position of the holes in the boxes.

Again, if you could specify what plate you're talking about, that would be great. I just don't see it in the picture.

chestplatemodelingeditw.jpg

I think it may be only a matter of perspective ... no paint, no shadow, not real ... i guess we should see a finish product to be sure ... The middle plate seem to be appart from the rest but it MAY be one piece too !!

i found these on the bungie website. there are more but these look the most relavent. the plates on the front that you made look like pockets on some of the other pics i have found on the bungie site. some of the other ODSTs have 2 on each side. the pic that you where working from looks to me like a consept pic that they changed some things.

i love the sholders you did and im going to use them for my suit. keep up the awesome work.

hope this helps.

Edit: took down the pics because they wear taking up too much room. (still don't know how to put up more than a couple of pics)

Here's a close-up of Dutch's chest armor. The box things that you've got on yours just look like they're loosely attached.

Clicky

Like SavvyTank said, i think they're just optional pocket attachments. Probably something that would be better made separately, and attached at the wearer's discretion.

Keep up the amazing work though dude, i love the way this is turning out, and i'm tempted to step away from my (albeit slow) MkVI suit to work on an ODST.

Edit: In the same pic you can see that those little loops you've got on the top seem to just be a part of the buckles attached to the back of the piece, and not part of the armor itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back