The "official" Rellik Nissassa Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
SupermanExtreme1 said:
I think you should have had the mold completed before you began taking orders for your helmets

Since it is your first mold.

I can tell, because you missed a lot of key aspects of mold making.

since you are making a "glove mold" you could have added some registration keys and a dividing wall with clay or foil so that both sides of the mother mold don't stick together when cured.

Which was the problem.

It also appears that you didn't add a neck. When you cast from that mold the plastic around the opening will be thinner due to no run off point from the mold.

When Casting, the Resin should go past the actual helmet line and onto the run off point which is the neck and it could have been made out of a cardboard or card stock paper. This will ensure that the helmet is strong and the run off point is thin and that run off (neck) area can easily be trimmed off.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk.

It's just my opinion.

I want this to go well because people have already given you money.

so once again Good luck :)

Well, I hope that I don't sound like a jerk, but you DO sound like a jerk.

I understand what you are saying about the orders, but oh well.

Second, the mold is very thick and lines inside of the bottom portion of the helmet, so the castings will be thick in that area without any wasted neck flash.

Third, you don't need any keys to lock the mold jacket to the mold, as I am doing a box mold. The mold is inside the box, the jacket poured around it. It perfectly conforms to the mold, and the mold and box both help keep the shape, so there is no need for any built in locking devices.

Fourth, the mold split is side to side over the top of the helmet, and yes there I did cut grooves, displace materials, and make some very good locking, which is now unnecessary with the box.

What's that rule with criticism on this forum.........If you are going to criticize someone's work it had better be your own?

Does that sound familiar?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Just try not to rip apart everything so much nex time.

Last edited by a moderator:
RELLIK NISSASSA said:
I understand what you are saying about the orders, but oh well.

"Third, you don't need any keys to lock the mold jacket to the mold, as I am doing a box mold."

Sorry I didn't mean to criticize.

If people are confident in buying from you without a mold or molding experience.

That's really up to them and none of my business. I guess I was looking too much at how I would go about doing business and that was wrong of me.

I was actually commenting on your first method you tried and didn't work so I was just concerned when you changed it and the new method became an "experiment".

I was trying to assist you based on experience from my own trials and errors if you decided that you were going to try the glove mold again.

Didn't mean for you to get offended, that's understandable if you felt that way.

my apologize once again

good luck on your box method experiment.

SupermanExtreme1 said:
Sorry I didn't mean to criticize.

If people are confident in buying from you without a mold or molding experience.

That's really up to them and none of my business. I guess I was looking too much at how I would go about doing business and that was wrong of me.

I was actually commenting on your first method you tried and didn't work so I was just concerned when you changed it and the new method became an "experiment".

I was trying to assist you based on experience from my own trials and errors if you decided that you were going to try the glove mold again.

Didn't mean for you to get offended, that's understandable if you felt that way.

my apologize once again

good luck on your box method experiment.

Thanks very much for that. I really do appreciate the apology and the advice. I have a helmet drying in the mold as we speak, and I am so anxious to pop it out and see if it is sink or swim, but I am very confident in the end result. Once again, I will post some photos when I get a minute.

Thanks man, and who knows.... maybe out of all this we will find a cheap and useful way to mold that we never knew before.

SupermanExtreme1 said:
Saving money + new method = WIN

*Crosses fingers*

Well, here goes.

Of course as our friend predicted, this didn't work.

The casting resin shell was too thin, and it gripped to the mold rubber so well that I had to pry/ break it off just to get my mold back.

The results:

EpicFail.jpg

EpicFail2.jpg

EPIC FAIL!!!

Round 2:

I thought, "Ok. I'll do a box mold, but how can I do one cheap and with items around the house?"

So, I grabbed a cardboard box, some expanding foam, drop cloth, Glad wrap, and duct tape.

I'll start by showing the box prep that was done in order to shoot expanding foam into the the box:

BoxPrep.jpg

BoxPrep3.jpg

BoxPrep4.jpg

Box all taped, plastic/ drop cloth inserted. This is to ensure that the spray foam does not stick to the box.

Next we wrap the helmet mold in saran wrap (to prevent the foam from sticking to the helmet mold. NOTE: the actual helmet is still inside the mold to keep the mold's shape):

GladWrappedHelm.jpg

GladWrappedHelm2.jpg

I then drop the helmet mold into the box (I chose face up and that was the best fit for this size box. Only the visor tips and the mouth peice stuck slightly out of the top of the box). I used 3 strips of duct tape at the top to hold the mold in the center of the box, and pushed the bottom of the helmet against the side of the box. This was done to prevent foam from completely encasing the mold, as the bottom must remain open for the pouring of resin.

HelmPositioning.jpg

To fill dead space and create a "filler" I dropped in Styrofoam peanuts and chunks of flash and other suff so that less foam would need to be used. This is my way of recycling those other useless materials and it even helps the environment by reusing those elements instead of making them garbage :)

Next, I shot in the foam and filled up only to about the back half of the helmet mold. I waited for it to cure, and it took almost 24 hours:

BottomHalf.jpg

BottomHalf2.jpg

When I removed the bottom/ back half of the mold, I cut it perfectly flat on the top so that it ran with the cut in the mold right at the center. You can cut with any house hold kitchen knife. I chose a butter knife as it has small teeth and is not sharp enough to pierce the mold, or my body. (NOTE: Any knife that you use may not be able to be used again as it has come into contact with harmful chemicals, and may have un-cured foam stuck to the blade which is impossible to get off) So kids, ask permission before you go rooting through the silverware.

After that, I wrapped this half of the foam in plastice wrap so that when I shot in the top half, they would not foam together.

I repeated the drop in, fill, shoot foam, remove, and plastic wrap for the top half:

TopHalf.jpg

Finally, I re-insert the mold into the foam casings (without the helmet of course) as it is time to cast.

Remember how the visor tips and mouth stuck out just a bit for the top of the box:

BoxCut1.jpg

I cut around it as to not force the front of the helmet inward (as forcing it in would cause warping).

So the box is sealed....... and how am I gonna pour the resin in? I'll tell you how. You cut a hole in the box where the bottom of the helmet is, and pour away:

PourHole.jpg

Tah Dah! Not too shabby, eh?

So, I did the whole deal. Pour, swish, set. Repeat. When it was all over, this is what I got........

1stCastEVER.jpg

1stCastEVER2.jpg

1stCastEVER3.jpg

1stCastEVER4.jpg

CastDetails.jpg

Much better than myself or SupermanExtreme1 had anticipated.

For my first time, and a new experiment, I was very pleased.

The only area was at the back of the neck, and that was because I didn't get enough resin there,

ProblemAreaBackNeck.jpg

so I'll fix that up tonight.

So, as far as building a box for your rubber mold, this idea I think worked pretty well, and I will try some new stuff out maybe tomorrow or in the future for other parts.

Until then, please comment away on the "Foam Box" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back