Halo 3: Odst Visors Can Go Clear? (Update As Of 7/14/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddychan

Hello 405th'ers, this is my first post. Anyways I was watching the halo 3: ODST press briefing and noticed something during a cutscene. Two of the ODST's visors go from transparent and then fade to gold (the soldier, Dare, with the recon helm) and silver (the soldier, Buck, with the odst helm).

heres a picture I screencapped and put together showing the comparison:
screenshot.jpg

What I was wondering was if it was possible to achieve this affect in my own helmet without killing my wallet.

My only idea so far to make it transparent would be to illuminate the visor from the inside with LED's, but I'm not sure if it would work.

Well I'm off to plum island tomorrow but Ill check back when I return.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

EDIT:

heres the link to the video from microsoft so you can see it yourself: Halo 3: ODST press breifing

it shows the visors fading around 25-30 seconds into the video.

EDIT:

If anyone would like to try making their visor go transparent with LED's, please post your results, as I do not have a visor of my own yet. It'd be interesting to know what arrangements and colors of LED's work best.

Um, the only thing I can think of is your solution, but I'm not sure if it would really work... there isn't much else you could try that wouldn't burn a hole in your wallet.

Ya, it's suppose to be an electrically charged, polarized, visor, that can be electronically controlled, not that unheard of, but expeeeennnsive. Try using a standard HJC visor, but light up the inside when you want it see-through. That will get it somewhat transparent.

I'm pretty sure it slides on and off. If you look closely you can see the sides and a bit of the visor. Mostly only visible on the ODST.

HaloFreakX said:
I'm pretty sure it slides on and off. If you look closely you can see the sides and a bit of the visor. Mostly only visible on the ODST.

it sounds like you think the visors slide up/down, sorry if Im wrong

the visors dont slide up or down, they fade from transparent to gold/silver as I said

click on the link I added to watch the video for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all: We see Dutch's helmet polarise just after he hands Rookie the smg in the first cutscene (prior to the actual drop, and it does not shade from top to bottom. It starts on the top corners and bottom and works inward. Also, the edges of the mirrored (polarised) parts are very fuzzy and irregular, showing that an electric charge is spreading throughout the material.

Second of all, it is widely known in Halo fiction that Spartans' visors can do this, as it is described in the novels. Which makes sense, because that technology is commercially available today, as stated above.

Jeddychan said:
EDIT:

If anyone would like to try making their visor go transparent with LED's, please post your results, as I do not have a visor of my own yet. It'd be interesting to know what arrangements and colors of LED's work best.

I tried this with lenses from a pair of sunglasses (for my EOD helm) and shining LED's at my face rather than at the lens worked best... I also noticed that yellow LEDs work better than red... I only tried these two colors though

what I was wondering is if a visor would work differently than my lenses since theyre meant to protect your eyes from the sun, and are in turn tinted. A visor may become more transparent with LEDs than a pair of sunglasses... please try this and post your results...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back