Helmet Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshane81

Sr Member
Well, first off....I started on a set of ODST armor, but then was influenced by pooper's turnout of his MKVI helmet to do another for myself.

[attachment=10448:MK_VI_Helmet.jpg]

The first area that I wanted to change was the brim during construction. I used layers of cardboard shaped by the actual pep pieces for the correct shape.

[attachment=10449:Brim_closeup.jpg]

The next area that I wanted to add to were the side vents. I took alot of the reference for this piece from the Starry Night trailer for Halo 3. Once resined and glassed, I will be better able to shape this, then add the center piece, probably either shaped out of foam, or use the rube method and just go with straight bondo.

[attachment=10450:Side_vents.jpg]

I already have my lines mapped out along the brim and the sides that I will need to etch into the finish layer.

[attachment=10466:Right_rear.jpg]

I also have the mouth guard mapped out so that I can remove, and shape that are accordingly.

[attachment=10452:Mouth_detail.jpg]

The last area that will require some finesse during finishing are the small details on the back of the helmet. I went ahead and marked them now so that I wouldn't forget about them.

[attachment=10453:MKVI_rear_detail.jpg]

My next helmet is the original HD ODST helmet. I started it when I started the rest of my ODST armor.

[attachment=10454:ODST_Helmet.jpg]

I couldn't quite get the shape to hold itself so I added some cardboard supports. The first were in the "ears" of the helmet to get those two areas to stay vertical.

[attachment=10455:ODST_inside_support.jpg]

The next were a couple along the bottom. One to hold the width, and another to hold a vertical support inside the visor area.

[attachment=10456:ODST_lower_supports.jpg]

Here is a better shot of the vertical support. You can also see the improvements in the ear areas from the inside supports in this shot.

[attachment=10457:ODST_front.jpg]

Here is side view showing how I used the vertical support to open the visor area up to the height I was trying to get to.

[attachment=10461:ODST_side_profile.jpg]

And last, but not least, I also built a marine helmet.

[attachment=10462:Marine_helmet_II.jpg]

Here is a better view at some of the side details above the ears.

[attachment=10463:Marine_left.jpg]

In this image, you can see the details in the top of the helmet.

[attachment=10464:Marine_top_rear.jpg]

There are also some of the smaller details under the brim already too.

[attachment=10465:Marine_brim.jpg]

Everybody let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Thanks guys. I am still trying to figure out how thick to make the recessed details under the brim. I don't want them to be the same thickness as the recess itself.

I made an odst helmet from Halo 2, I am now working on making the Halo 3 version as you have made, one question though....does it fit on your head?

cybris said:
I made an odst helmet from Halo 2, I am now working on making the Halo 3 version as you have made, one question though....does it fit on your head?

pm sent

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really great work mks81! All the folds are amazingly clean and there's no warping anywhere which is cool to see. I especially love the ODST, but I have a feeling these will all turn out perfect!

Best of luck for finishing them off! You're off to a great start and can't wait to see them finished. Will be watching this thread! :]

The resin and glass stage I'm not worried about. I have done that before with my previous set. The bondo is what I've not worked with. But, after going through the stickies and talking to some friends and such about it, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on how to go about completing it successfully.

just please, do not put the bondo on thick. I've seen way to many peps that looked awesome be ruined by bondo going on to thick. Thin is the way to go. Your helmet looks awesome, I don't want to see anyone waist like that.

That is the one thing that has definitely been portrayed time and time again....thin, thin, thin!!!! Definitely appreciate your input dystorted. Thin is definitely the way that I am going to go when I get to that point. The last thing that I want to do is sand down waves of bondo.

I did a little bit of work on my ODST helmet the last couple of days. I started off resining the grooves, and along the top of the ear pieces. I wanted to be sure to hit those areas first, to hold the shape of the helmet a little bit better. I could actually take out the vertical support that I had in there before. Once done, I added the details to sides of the ear pieces and marked out where I need to add the recess details behind the back end of the visor opening. I also marked out on the ears where to cut away for the signature "tear drop" detail. Then I constructed a makeshift visor out of corrugated plastic to get an idea of how one would look in it. Don't worry link, I will let you know in the near future about mine
wink.gif
. Anyway, let me know of anything you guys might think of on this.

[attachment=10624:ODST_right.jpg]

[attachment=10625:ODST_visor.jpg]

*bump*

Sorry for the double post. Was able to get the pics to load on the page rather than having links on there for my ODST updates. Wanted to try and get some opinions.

Hey everybody. Sorry for the triple post, but got a quick update. I incorporated some of the other details into my ODST bucket.

I got the recesses cut in behind where the visor goes.

[attachment=11267:ODST_visor details.jpg]

Got the "tear drops" cut into both ears of the helmet as well.

[attachment=11268:ODST_tear drop.jpg]

The only somewhat tricky area are the "vents" above the visor. I was thinking of just trying to get my hands on some thin foam board, but not real sure. Anybody got any ideas to kinda help me out?

Getting my 2nd layer of resin on my MKVI helmet, but didn't want to throw any pictures out there until I get some more details in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back