Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, now you have me wanting to make my own Jackal costume. I guess I'll slap it on the list of must-do costumes.

I was playing Halo 2 today and I noticed that the video at the start of the level Delta Halo has some great close up video of a Jackal. Like maybe 15-20 seconds total, but you could probably grab some useful screenshots from it

nynjamasta said:
Thats going to be friggin sweet. Im just curious to how you are gong to manage to do an Elite. :unsure

Dunno yet. It's still at least a year off, if my boyfriend doesn't insist on making a hunter costume with me. (which I will actually have to make, but he needs to be present for.)

I just know that it'll be pretty freaking sweet when I make it. Still haven't decided on whether I want to do an honor guard or the Arbiter. Both are just as ornate, but the honor guards (or whatever they're called) have those cool staffs.

I'm more concerned with how I'll do a Drone (something else I might make next year), what with their tiny heads and all.

And a Prophet? The main costume is easy but the throne??? Oy. So I'll prolly save it for last.

Last edited by a moderator:
AB- SOLUTLY- FRACK-N AWESOME!

I love this, great work! I love seeing people tackle non-traditional costumes... Everyone is MC but to be a Jackal... perfect!

Great work, way to think outside of the box. and i love the dinosaur reference poster in the background!!

SwedishNinja said:
Great work, way to think outside of the box. and i love the dinosaur reference poster in the background!!

Haha, thanks! That's actually one of the deciding factors for why I decided on the Jackal as my latest creation. I LOVE feathered dinosaurs, and Jackals kinda look like them, so I was like "Oh I HAVE to."

Also, in addition to my first update, I'd like to provide details on how I'm going to make the shield. I need some input on how you all think it will work, PLUS some advice on the LED situation.

For the structure I'm taking a "hoverdisc" which is basically an inflatable mylar-type frisbee thing. It's three feet in diameter (perrrrfect) and it's this thing here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Millenium-Falco...in_0?hash=item5635154440&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I will inflate that thing as a base and put a clear shower curtain over it. Now, as far as how I will hold it down...that's going to be interesting. But...Either before or after the final step I will cut it into the shape of a circle with those notches that the shields have. The clear shower curtain is there for something to put the next thing on, (and it's clear which is PERFECT and it's big enough for the job)...which is some kind of lacquer glossy plastic stuff.... what's it called? Argh. I used it to cover my longboard I painted. Anyone know what it's called?

Well anyway, it's like a pour-on resin/glaze coat liquid that hardens and makes for a really glossy/glassy finish. It will be transparent and hard. It should be somewhat sturdy too, since it could bear the weight of a fully-grown male on the longboard so I'm sure it can handle some bumps and scrapes from passersby. It will harden the shower curtain and I'll have a decent shield for a relatively cheap price...Or the same price, I don't know how much gloss stuff I'll use.

What do you all think?

For the blue/purple effects I'm thinking indigo or purple LEDs around the center piece (where the wristband attaches) so the light shines outward from the center and lights up the thing. I will airbrush some blue or purple (the opposite of whatever the LEDs are) plasma effects onto the outside of the shield so it looks the right color and freaking awesome.

BUT. I know nothing about LEDs. What I need is a bunch of LEDs around the oval-shaped-kinda centerpiece on the inside. I need to know what kind of pieces/parts to buy from radioshack (or wherever) like wiring or any kind of resistors (? is this the right term?) and some kind of switch operated battery power apparatus. I need to know what will give me a long use, probably 6-8 (ideally) hours at a time per battery change, more or less. And will I need to solder anything?

Thank you guys for any potential feedback. I appreciate any advice, as I'm going into this blindly. My brother would help me but he's away from home and finally in college as well, so he won't be easily accessible for help. You guys are great.

Wow, that sure looks swell! I like the arms, they look like a dinosaurs and the face is pretty "Fly".

The legs are very creative and I wanna see the finished product, good luck!

Your legs look as if they are uncomfortable! D: Is there any discomfort being in a position like that??

But I REALLY want to see what this looks like when it's finished! It's looking pretty cool.

This is looking outstanding!

Wish I could help on the LED's and wiring. But I'd say get a fairly bright LED and test it out in a location around the center and see how many you might need. Once you have those you can figure out how many batteries you'll need and how many resistors.

Are you talking about a liquid epoxy?

HaloGoddess said:
Your legs look as if they are uncomfortable! D: Is there any discomfort being in a position like that??

But I REALLY want to see what this looks like when it's finished! It's looking pretty cool.

The stilts are actually quite surprisingly comfortable. In some of the more extremely bent down poses though it's hard to maintain bending my legs so low for so long, just because I am out of shape and have noodles for muscles.

BrandonT98 said:
This is looking outstanding!

Wish I could help on the LED's and wiring. But I'd say get a fairly bright LED and test it out in a location around the center and see how many you might need. Once you have those you can figure out how many batteries you'll need and how many resistors.

Are you talking about a liquid epoxy?

I think it is? I forget what it is called exactly. The box said something like "pour-on" something about gloss resin or I dunno wtf it was. *is a noob*

How do I know if the LED is bright enough (do they label that somehow?) and how do I test it, that is, what do I hook it up to?

Got my hoverdisc today. When I get around to buying a shower curtain/gloss stuff I'll begin work on this. For now, I have to learn how to do LEDs super fast.

Here's a pic so you all can see how big this shield will be--3 feet, which looks perfect.

[attachment=12292:DSCF4133.JPG]

size of the shield looks perfect. and so does the rest of your costume! that head is just amazing!

P.S. I couldnt resist :p

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gj22kJiKxc[/media]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back