Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
corby said:
size of the shield looks perfect. and so does the rest of your costume! that head is just amazing!

P.S. I couldnt resist :p

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gj22kJiKxc[/media]

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! MY GOAL HAS BEEN REACHED!

I made a personal goal to have at least ONE person quote that family guy scene.

Thank you. :)

Now I must get someone to do it on Halloween, and all my dreams will come true...

Last edited by a moderator:
----------PARTIAL UPDATE AND QUESTIONS TO YOU ALL-------------------------

My dad and I have determined that the metal supports on the stilts are unnecessary. I've removed them and they look like this:

(P.S. Sorry for my legs being legular)

[attachment=12293:DSCF4137.JPG]

In my opinion they'll be easier to integrate and won't look as bulky with fabric/whatever over them. Also, they are easier to walk in and less heavy. And they are easier to put on, to boot. Buuuuut I did realize that removing the metal "support" things does pose a potential safety problem, that is, I can probably twist my ankle much easier if I am not careful. Having the guiding metal side bars there keeps my ankles in line with my calves, but it's harder to move around in and doesn't look as good.

What do you guys think? Do any of you have experience with stilts like these (or in general)? Have any of you seriously hurt yourself using them? Is it worth the aesthetics and mobility to risk a rebel drunk person pushing me over and breaking my ankle?

BrandonT98 said:
Found this info on LED's.. should help you calculate what you need to amke your LED's work

http://www.superbrig...om/led_info.htm

LED's brightness is measured in "mcd"

here are some mroe examples on taht site

http://www.superbrig...ds.com/leds.htm

I've heard stories of people triping on those digitigrade stilts. They make walking difficult on uneven ground and stairs are a death trap. Practice walking in those around your house and be careful

Thanks for the links and help. I'll try to practice with these as much as I can. State Street is pretty flat, so I don't anticipate going up any stairs or anything, but you can never be too careful around some of the more rowdy Halloween participants...

Ya, drunkin people will want to poke, proud and pull at you. One of the main issues with predator costumes is people like to pull on the dreads, i can see them wanting to touch and grab at the shield or at your mask.

Might be a good idea to have a handler with you. They can keep the drunks or over zealouse people off, as well as watch out for things for you so you don't fall. just rember that you've got an extra 6 inches or so beneath your feet when you go to step so as to not catch the stilt and trip you.

BrandonT98 said:
Ya, drunkin people will want to poke, proud and pull at you. One of the main issues with predator costumes is people like to pull on the dreads, i can see them wanting to touch and grab at the shield or at your mask.

Might be a good idea to have a handler with you. They can keep the drunks or over zealouse people off, as well as watch out for things for you so you don't fall. just rember that you've got an extra 6 inches or so beneath your feet when you go to step so as to not catch the stilt and trip you.

Most definitely. I plan on having my boyfriend there, and while he may not be that physically intimidating, he is tall, so that helps...

Last year when I was a grunt there were like 50 thousand people trying to take photos with me, and this one guy had a lit cigarette in his hand and threw his arm around me. I was very concerned at his proximity to my costume, as the main sections are made from cardboard so yeah... The jackal costume is going to be more...fragile maybe? In the sense of the mask, the feathers and the fact I'm up higher. Hopefully some of my other friends can come with me and be my bodyguards, so to speak. I guess jackals really ARE fragile creatures, god damn.

Have you thought about using EL Wire instead of LED's? The wire is what Sean used for his first energy sword.

Link to sword

I don't know the rules about linking to other projects, if I broke a rule please tell me and I'll fix it ASAP

Your crazy! This is amazingly good so far. I am very much looking forward to the final product as well as progress on the way!

Good Luck!

RFPnoodle said:
What do you guys think? Do any of you have experience with stilts like these (or in general)? Have any of you seriously hurt yourself using them? Is it worth the aesthetics and mobility to risk a rebel drunk person pushing me over and breaking my ankle?

Well, I considered that type of stilt when I was doing my Arbiter, but it wasn't the lift I wanted. I think, though, that if at all possible, you need to have that helping you out. I fell over in my Arby feet and it was not a pretty fall.

Have you considered, instead of the metal poles, bungie cords? It won't be as bulky, but it will act like the metal "tendons" that you took out. I would really, really recommend it, your legs will thank you later.

As for people pushing you over, I have my doubts. People may be drunk, but unless they're a mean drunk, they won't purposefully go over and shove you over. Now, that's not to say they won't accidentally stumble into you while taking pictures. It's important to have a wide stance to even your center of balance when people start crowding around you. That'll help a ton until your handler(s) can come over and rescue you.

wow let me tell you not for nothing if i saw that walking down the street with that head looking so real im first thaught would be run into the house and grab an assault rifle!!!! cant wait to see the Jackal done!!!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! :)

UPDATE TIME! Woo!

Here are some new pics! (23 of them to be exact) Starting at this one: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=8952

Updation info:

Armor: Torso armor is completely painted and ready. I've added some battle-worn details, like mud, rust, scratches and spots of human blood. (My jackal has seen a lot of combat :) ) I'm working on the schematics for the lower armor, so that'll be a while.

Hands: One hand is almost done. Almost as in it's basically done except two parts: 1. I might add actual claws instead of the ones I airbrushed on. They might look better. We'll see how much time I have. 2. I'm going to add some liquid latex to the palms. It will be pretty invisible, buuuuut it will give me a good grip on things (such as my plasma pistol)

Feet: One foot is covered in skin, all it's missing is the toenails. The armor will come after I finish covering the other foot in skin. Also, I will be adding some rubber soles to the bottoms of the stilts for grip. Also! There are some corners at the base of the feet which will be painted black to "hide" them. I was going to cut them off but there are stability issues then...

Shield: Bad news for the shield. My original idea with the shower curtain and hardening liquid plastic whatever the hell that was isn't going to work (according to my dad, who apparently tested it out on a smaller test piece.) It's apparently not strong enough. I had a guy lined up who was going to help with the LEDs, but since I have no other solution for the shield due to financial and time constraints, I'm not going to have a light up shield. I'm going to do it the old-fashioned way, and make it out of cardboard. Now I know it won't be see-through and it won't be nearly as cool, but I promise I will do my best to make it the most awesome looking cardboard shield EVER.

If my torso armor has given me any practice painting, I think I can make this shield look just as good, if not better.

Arms: Arms are almost done. Don't have pics, but I've airbrushed some more of their muscles and skin and such.

Other than that, I'm still working on things. School drains a lot of time from me, but I'm making progress. If I keep up the pace I should be able to finish.

UPDATE (again) REGARDING MY SHIELD:

Okay, so my ever-resourceful dad has found a place where I can custom order a plastic roundish disc thing that will be transparent and will work as my shield. It's apparently from a company that makes those big round mirrors that they put in stores or parking garages (not sure what they are for, but you know what I'm talking about.) He's just ordering it without the mirror part. He's going to be melting or cutting the slot thingies on the sides for me and attach a handle and ship it up to me to finish/make look nice. I'm going to go with my original idea of airbrushing some details on....although the LEDs may not happen due to time constraints. Later if I ever bring my costume to a con or something I'll have to add the lights. So for now they're a last resort thing if I have time.

Anyway, I'm starting work on the legs. It looks like crap right now, I know. No worries. :)

[attachment=12825:preview dawg.jpg]

Spartan 051 said:
so take it your trying to finish to walk down state street?

Yep. I've got a couple weeks to go...Ack! It's approaching so quickly! You gonna be there for halloween? You'll probably see me if you are :)

wow I just checked out the new update pics the feet look awsome maybe in the near future you should look into prop or monster making for movies cause your work is really really good there is nothing like good old fashion props CGI sucks in my book good work like the work of Tom Savini (savini.com) you just dont find anymore, you keep making props like this and you could be the next Tom savini!!!!!! I cant to see the finished work just dont walk down my block cause im running for my AR!!!!

ODST #4793 said:
wow I just checked out the new update pics the feet look awsome maybe in the near future you should look into prop or monster making for movies cause your work is really really good there is nothing like good old fashion props CGI sucks in my book good work like the work of Tom Savini (savini.com) you just dont find anymore, you keep making props like this and you could be the next Tom savini!!!!!! I cant to see the finished work just dont walk down my block cause im running for my AR!!!!

Haha. I'll try to remember that. :)

I don't think I could ever do movie props or even sell my costumes to anyone since I have absolutely no method or planning other than my ideas in my head or quick sketches. I don't measure anything and I do everything by eye. Plus I know the weaknesses of my costumes so I'm the only one who could wear them without destroying them...I guess if I had formal training it would make things more consistent and I could do something like that. It might be fun, who knows? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back