Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a place here that sells sheets of APB plastics and acrylic Sheets that would be ideal for the shield... Shipping would be a fortune though, maybe there is an surplus store near you that carries 1/4 sheets near you. I think Lowe or home depot may also carry it as well.

I think your stuff is lookin great! can't wait to see it all together once you get it all finished!

a note to a comment a little back though.... CGI in itself is a hard realism to achieve just the same as prop making. There's no need to bash on those that work with digital media just because they don't do something you like ;n;

if done correctly an with attention to detail, CGI can trick you into thinking it's just as real as an awesomely done prop piece. it's all about the artist and the time taken to achieve the look. they are both hard working artists though. they should be given just as much credit. but what CGI does that prop making can't do is bring something that's been made to look realistic move about like our imagination would believe it would. there are alot of creatures out there in books an stories that some prop making just can't make it as believable as a hard worked CGI can.

back on topic to the jackal, why don't you try modeling with some of the stuff you already have finished or partly finished? that way you may get some more ideas to the final product if you haven't already! i'd love to see it!

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

I have something lined up and being shipped to my house for a shield, so that's all set.

RFPnoodle said:
Dunno yet. It's still at least a year off, if my boyfriend doesn't insist on making a hunter costume with me. (which I will actually have to make, but he needs to be present for.)

I just know that it'll be pretty freaking sweet when I make it. Still haven't decided on whether I want to do an honor guard or the Arbiter. Both are just as ornate, but the honor guards (or whatever they're called) have those cool staffs.

I'm more concerned with how I'll do a Drone (something else I might make next year), what with their tiny heads and all.

And a Prophet? The main costume is easy but the throne??? Oy. So I'll prolly save it for last.
For the throne, why not basically build it like a frame that goes around your legs, so you can walk around and stuff, and just put like, fake legs on the Prophet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is coming along really nice! :)

I just really can't wait to see the full ensemble!! It's going to look pretty cool!

I really think you need to look into some prop making jobs, or internships. I've been on sets where the prop master has pulled trash and cut plastic bags to make faux trees. There are several different types of costume and prop jobs on a movie set or in a production for that matter, you would easily do well. You have to start some where and an internship is a great place to start.

Look up production local companies, or read the credits of your favorite movie and Google them.

Great job!

fantastic job !! real pro work i agree with what CHWBCC said about the prop making job you should look in to that. cant wait to see it all complete

Alright, everyone. Here's a big update on my costume.

I will not be able to finish for Halloween. I decided this a couple days ago. At that point, yes, I could have finished it in time, but the amount of work combined with the limited free time I had meant I would be pulling some late nights. The night I figured it out was after a long day of classes and practicum, after having gotten only 3 hours of sleep the night before and generally feeling exhausted due to the stress of school and whatnot (becoming a teacher is a lot like going through boot camp).

I had already worked on it for some really late nights (hence the lack of sleep) and there were some technical issues I didn't have time to perfect. Also, my shield was a nightmare. The guy we ordered it from up and quit the company without so much as a post-it note on his co-workers' desks to let them know our order had to be shipped, so by the time they found it, it would have shipped and been at my dad's house on Thursday. Which would leave him Thursday night and Friday to cut the slots, add a handle, and get it up to me, so I could paint it in time for Saturday. Yeah. Not gonna happen. Plus my dad had other places to be, so I didn't want him to go through undue stress and take the chance of the shield turning out like crap.

On top of that I'm supposed to be co-hosting a halloween party and I wasn't going to be able to make the food if I had so much other stuff to do.

So my plan B for a costume is going to be that I'm going to gore my face up real nice with some fake blood and prosthetics. Not original, I know, which irks me, but I know I will be the best of all the dead people there. What can I say? I like details.

Besides, apparently it's going to rain on Halloween, and cardboard + rain = not a good idea. I do not want Jackal soup.

The good news is that I have a backup plan. I'm planning on going to ACEN (an anime convention in Illinois--my first!) with a couple friends so I plan on getting the costume done in time for that and showing it off there. I may wear my Grunt costume there too, we'll see.

At any rate, I failed to complete it in time because of school time constraints and stress. So next year at least I know what I'm up against (I'm starting student teaching next year--hoo boy this will get interesting...)

I will post some pictures of what I have done so far with my Jackal (I'll put everything on and you can see what is missing...the pants and a hand, basically) when I get a chance. I just wanted to update you all so you don't wonder where the hell my Jackal is...

Sorry to disappoint, everyone. Putting something off like this is new to me. I don't like failure too much...

it's alright, take time to keep things in order. you don't want things to become chaotic. i wouldn't see this as a failure though, there are still plenty of opportunities to get your costume done in time for. it's just Halloween was a time line you couldn't meet for natural reasons, so don't punish yourself too much, you're making AWESOME progress! not many people could do what you've done in so little time!

It would have been cool to finish it by halloween, but it is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be fun. It's only a failure if you quit altogether. You are just putting on hold :)

It's looking great, BTW!

Hey, don't think you let anyone down, Halloween is just time to dress up and beg for candy, anyway.

Your Jackal is really kick arse and really should be putting it into competitions at conventions anyway. Think of it as a blessing, now you can have fun with your friends at your party, and still have time to perfect everything just the way you like it so you can kill the competition at the CON. Just don't kill the competition, literally that may not be a good thing. :)

Peace,

***************UPDATE!*****************

So, it's been a while since I stopped work on my Jackal costume in October. May is coming up soon which means I need to continue working on this project to have it done in time for the con that I am going to, ACEN.

Here's an update for all of you on how things are going, along with some pictures.

Torso/arms:
I haven't changed anything since October but I have taken pics (finally). I need another glove and velcro, as well as many more feathers for the elbows. However, I'm pretty satisfied.

Legs:
I'm starting work on the pants. After some attempts to paint the paints and failing, I took a trip to a fabric store and found some amazing fabric to recover it. I have some purple areas done and I have a picture of the raggedy battle-worn fabric I plan to use for other parts. I plan on airbrushing the battle-worn stuff to give it scorch marks and other damage coloration, as well as general wear.

For those of you who are like "wtf jackal pants aren't purple"...Well, I've been trying to find a decent picture of it online but am not having much success. But if you look in-game there is an area of the jackal's thigh that looks dark grayish in light, but metallic purple in darkness, and it has bands across it. Unfortunately, the combination of fabrics I used to convey this effect have an opposite look--purple in light and blackish gray in darkness. But it's still pretty cool. :)

Otherwise, the pants have basic cardboard layouts on them, nothing special.

Butt Plates: Finally took a pic of these. I may add rust, I'm not sure yet.

Head:
Another one I hadn't taken a picture of. The neck is done except for some velcro, and I've finally added the rest of the feathers. There's also a tongue! but it's gathered some dust...In the pictures the muzzle of the mask is faded. This is a technical problem I've had since I airbrushed it. The unbaked clay absorbs the airbrush ink, and there's really nothing I can do except airbrush it again right before the con. But! I have learned my lesson with that method, at least.

Also, I was thinking of using some latex and spraying it to blend the forehead and jaws with the skull better. The transition between the two materials is a little crappy and obvious, so I'm going to smooth it out and make it look nicer.

Shield: No pictures yet, but it is being worked on. There's a handle with a hidden grip for me to hold, since the wristband that Jackals wear will not be sufficient to support the weight of the shield. I have a friend lined up to help teach me how to do the LEDs, too. It's going to look pretty sweet, methinks.

Anyway, here are the pics, starting from this one:

To the Jackalage

****ANOTHER UPDATE****

Pants: Torn fabric added. Lines on the purple stuff added too. Not sure if I like them; may change the material from felt to something less cheap looking. I've begun the airbrushing, but have low amounts of ink so I'll have to get some more. But, I figured I'd show you all how the scorch marks and bloody tears in the fabric are starting to look. They still need work, but it's getting somewhere.

Aside from this, the pants fit well but are a little snug. This will make putting on my stilts tricky, but I already figured out a solution for this. (this is another reason why I can only make costumes for myself--they wouldn't fit anyone else!)

I've included some pictures with the torso armor next to the pants so you can get kind of an idea how it will look, though it's rather elongated in the photos. I also need to add rust stains to the butt plates. They are not attached yet either.

Head: Starting to work on some editing of certain areas with latex. Pictures show it during the drying process. The plan is to make the different materials look integrated rather than separate.

Arms: I've added some scars to the arms to make him look a bit more battle worn. This is an experiment with latex that is turning out rather well, I'd say. Also I've added a bleeding bullet wound to one arm.

Sheild: No new progress yet, but I'm posting a picture finally of the material it's being made out of. (that's my dad in the pic) It's completely transparent, but there's a protective sheet over it so the pic has it looking translucent.

Here are the new pics: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=11272

Kig yar? Cursed Jackle. I hate jackles. But I love thiscostume it is awesome. Just dont be a noobish jackleand use a sheild.

Cayoke said:
Kig yar? Cursed Jackle. I hate jackles. But I love thiscostume it is awesome. Just dont be a noobish jackleand use a sheild.

Are you saying that only noob jackals use shields? Or are you saying that by having a shield I will not be a noob?

Either way, I'm making a shield, and it's going to be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video update for anyone interested. It's minor, but I think from now on I wanna do video updates.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_HqsXiRxU[/media]

It's kinda lengthy, but it shows everything I've made and there's an update on the pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back