Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RFPnoodle

By request, and by sheer logic when I think about it, I am posting my finished Jackal photos right here, on the first page.

Here's my gallery of them:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=13376

And actually, the same shots are at my deviantart, but I think you can download them bigger. So here they are if you are interested:

http://randomflyingpigeons.deviantart.com/art/Halo-3-Jackal-Cosplay-164291640

http://randomflyingpigeons.deviantart.com/art/Kek-the-Kig-Yar-164292046

I know there aren't that many. I didn't have the best person with me to take many photos, unfortunately. :sleep Also, I was fortunate enough to get photos taken by a photographer, (which was necessary to enter the contest) and buy the three best ones. Sadly, my scanner is a POS so I had to retouch the colors in photoshop. For some reason it made them look like they were from the 80s or something.

However, in the future if I come across people who posted pics of me, or if/when I don the suit one last time to take some more photos, I will be sure to post them.

Here's also a youtube video with a summary of work in progress pics:

Anyways, ACEN was a blast. I had so much fun there. I saw a lot of really great costumes. I didn't win any contests, sadly, but I did get enough ego-boosting comments to make my day, including one person who quoted the family guy scene: "JACKAL! IT'S A JACKAL! Is it a JACKAL? JACKAL!" It was a lot of fun. For most of the time I had my mask off, due to the low visibility. Also, by the end of the day, I had really torn up my feet from those stilts. They were easy to walk in (not so much for stairs) but the shoes I used for them were worn out and I was stupid enough not to wear socks...so yeah. Yay for blisters.

Other than that, it was a great experience. I'm trying to think of ideas for future costumes. I'm a little hesitant on the Elite, at least right away, due to the stilts. Well, actually, more due to the combination of stilts + low visibility. I will have to make sure that I have excellent visibility with the Elite. Otherwise, it's hell.

I met up with a couple chiefs. Sadly I didn't get a picture with either of them. But I made some new friends, acted crazy, and had a blast. Conventions are fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First JAckal costume i have ever seen and its SMEXXIEE,i luvs the snout/beaky part its soo awsome,i look foward to the seeing the first jackal costume made:)

Im not one thats easy to impress, but thats really good!

Maybe its just me, or are you really building up mussel tissue on the skull of the Jackal !?! Because that shows true craftsmanship of sculpting!

falcon NL said:
Im not one thats easy to impress, but thats really good!

Maybe its just me, or are you really building up mussel tissue on the skull of the Jackal !?! Because that shows true craftsmanship of sculpting!

:);; Thanks! Yeah, I kinda obsess over detail. I want it to look really vicious. Or at least cool.

Thank you, everyone! I'll be sure to update you guys with progress.

Wow great detail. I wish I had a quarter of your talent lol. Good Luck though you probably dont need it. And I'd like to know what your going to do about a shield. Now this is just an idea from me but maybe you cut a lot of plexiglass and shape it into a circle then use this spraypaint that fogs windows or the plexiglass.
P20.gif
Then attach leds all around so like the dull plexi glass will absorb the blue light and light up but that is just an idea but Im not sure really.

Bondo said:
Wow great detail. I wish I had a quarter of your talent lol. Good Luck though you probably dont need it. And I'd like to know what your going to do about a shield. Now this is just an idea from me but maybe you cut a lot of plexiglass and shape it into a circle then use this spraypaint that fogs windows or the plexiglass.
P20.gif
Then attach leds all around so like the dull plexi glass will absorb the blue light and light up but that is just an idea but Im not sure really.

Glass fog stuff. That's a great idea! I was planning on taking lexan and using LEDs (which I need help with from my brother, who knows his electronics) to light it up. I was thinking of airbrushing the tiny purple polygons on the shield for detail. That way, it will give it the right hue as well.

[attachment=10537:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

If you look veeeery closely you can see them. It's hard to see, but they're there.

My only problem is...I am broke at the moment. And I don't have a job. ;_; My dad is going to help me shape the lexan, and help me build stilts (I am not a carpenter in any way shape or form). I still gotta give him the blueprints for the stilts, but yeah.

So now I just have to raise some money for the shield. The armor will be easy. Cardboard and paper tape. Piece of cake.

Goosebot 5000 said:
this is one of the most unique projects ive ever seen. will we be seeing this at dragoncon?

Gosh, I don't even know where Dragoncon is held or when. I've never been to a con, but always have wanted to. I was just planning on wearing this for halloween on State street in Madison, WI. I'd love to go though.

Tango 89er said:
Damn that's looking good!

Your Grunt costume is what led me to the 405th in the first place

Oh my, thank you! That is such an honor for you to say that!

that is an honestly scary mask for the costume, the amount of work that I know will go into it is just astounding!

I can't wait to see it finished

My dad is going to help me shape the lexan,

Oh hey! A heads up before you buy the lexan. At lowes, you can buy lexan and plexiglass, but lexan is waaaaay more expensive. If I recall, a 36" by 48" piece of plexiglass was $45 and a 36" by 48" piece of lexan was over $150. You might want to research it on the net before making a purchase.

HeavyGunner said:
Oh hey! A heads up before you buy the lexan. At lowes, you can buy lexan and plexiglass, but lexan is waaaaay more expensive. If I recall, a 36" by 48" piece of plexiglass was $45 and a 36" by 48" piece of lexan was over $150. You might want to research it on the net before making a purchase.

Thanks for the tip! Question though--Can you use heat to shape the plexiglass like I would for the lexan? And how strong is it relatively speaking? How lightweight and how see-through?

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but you seem to know more than I do in this field.

RFPnoodle said:
Oh my, thank you! That is such an honor for you to say that!

i'm actually trying to start making my own grunt costume as well.

i'm a very short person an was talking to the person that introduced me to 405th and we joked about it at first, but i'm now seriously thinking about doing it. XD

also DragonCon is in GA, an as a suggestion if it hasn't already been said, you noted that you were using LED's for the shield? will you be using 1 layer of material or two? because if you use two to shape them together then combine then at the edges then use the LED's near the handle and the outlining it may give the shield that "moving glow" look. just a thought. love the jackal head btw... maybe your the one that my new friend was talking about when she introduced me to 405th ^^

good luck! can't wait to see more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back