Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuki-Kedamono said:
i'm actually trying to start making my own grunt costume as well.

i'm a very short person an was talking to the person that introduced me to 405th and we joked about it at first, but i'm now seriously thinking about doing it. XD

also DragonCon is in GA, an as a suggestion if it hasn't already been said, you noted that you were using LED's for the shield? will you be using 1 layer of material or two? because if you use two to shape them together then combine then at the edges then use the LED's near the handle and the outlining it may give the shield that "moving glow" look. just a thought. love the jackal head btw... maybe your the one that my new friend was talking about when she introduced me to 405th ^^

good luck! can't wait to see more!

What was your friend talking about?

Oy, Georgia? I don't think I could :( I am le broke.

I'm not quite sure I understand your LED idea, though if you explain it I may just have to do it, cause it sounds pretty cool. I was thinking of having the LEDs project from the center of the shield. (although I need to figure out what material to make the center out of...it has like a light and then some material around it.)

[attachment=10622:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
RFPnoodle said:
What was your friend talking about?

Oy, Georgia? I don't think I could :( I am le broke.

I'm not quite sure I understand your LED idea, though if you explain it I may just have to do it, cause it sounds pretty cool. I was thinking of having the LEDs project from the center of the shield. (although I need to figure out what material to make the center out of...it has like a light and then some material around it.)

[attachment=10622:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

well i'm sure there are a few people trying to make jackal costumes, but yours was the first one i found and seemed the most popular so i guessed that it was your jackal costume that she was talking about, i'm not sure. i'm just assuming. but anyway as far as the LED thing is concerned, what you just explained is basically what i was talking about. but my biggest question was if you were using only one layer of the material for the shield or two an putting them together to trap the LED light within.

A quick bit of info, which you may not know (but looking at how good you're doing so far, I'm sure you probably do know) but the Jackal's shield generator is strapped to their wrist rather than being held in their hand. Can't wait t see this finished!

You know what, I'm terribly sorry, I actually misinformed you. I was actually talking about acryllic when I said plexiglass. That's what I bought, and it's the cheap stuff. Plexiglass is a bit more expensive than acryllic, and lexan is a bit more expensive than plexiglass.

The acryllic is just as clear as lexan or any other type of artificial glass. The thing is though, the .08" thickness piece of acryllic I have is 20x as strong as glass, whereas the piece of lexan I have is 250x as strong as glass. The lexan is also a lot heavier. The acryllic I have is fairly flimsy, and makes a "wobba wobba wobba" kind of noise when I shake it, and it bends. I think you might want to go with acryllic because of it's affordablilty, and flexibility. The .08" thickness is very easy to cut with a "glass cutter" utility knife, or just a regular sharp box cutter. I'm recommending it because you probably don't want your 3' diameter shield to weigh 10 pounds. I'm fairly certain that my piece of acryllic that's 18" by 24" weighs about 1 pound. So you figure a 3' diameter shield would be just about 7 square feet of area. Therefore, with a little math, we can know that there are 2.35 of my pieces to make the same area of a 3' diameter shield. Therefore 1 pound times 2.35 equals 2.35 pounds Lol. So if you were to use .08" thick acryllic, and were to make the shield around 3 feet in diameter, you shield would weigh roughly 2.35 pounds.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to answer the first question! Lol. The acryllic is just as easy to melt as any other type of artificial glass. Might even take a lower temp to get it workable than plexiglass. I recall reading a thread where someone oven-formed their own security visor out of plexiglass by letting it melt over a clay form. I recall them saying the oven temp doesn't need to be over 150 F. I would assume that thin acryllic would be even easier to melt, so you would have to play around with the temp.

HeavyGunner said:
You know what, I'm terribly sorry, I actually misinformed you. I was actually talking about acryllic when I said plexiglass. That's what I bought, and it's the cheap stuff. Plexiglass is a bit more expensive than acryllic, and lexan is a bit more expensive than plexiglass.

The acryllic is just as clear as lexan or any other type of artificial glass. The thing is though, the .08" thickness piece of acryllic I have is 20x as strong as glass, whereas the piece of lexan I have is 250x as strong as glass. The lexan is also a lot heavier. The acryllic I have is fairly flimsy, and makes a "wobba wobba wobba" kind of noise when I shake it, and it bends. I think you might want to go with acryllic because of it's affordablilty, and flexibility. The .08" thickness is very easy to cut with a "glass cutter" utility knife, or just a regular sharp box cutter. I'm recommending it because you probably don't want your 3' diameter shield to weigh 10 pounds. I'm fairly certain that my piece of acryllic that's 18" by 24" weighs about 1 pound. So you figure a 3' diameter shield would be just about 7 square feet of area. Therefore, with a little math, we can know that there are 2.35 of my pieces to make the same area of a 3' diameter shield. Therefore 1 pound times 2.35 equals 2.35 pounds Lol. So if you were to use .08" thick acryllic, and were to make the shield around 3 feet in diameter, you shield would weigh roughly 2.35 pounds.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to answer the first question! Lol. The acryllic is just as easy to melt as any other type of artificial glass. Might even take a lower temp to get it workable than plexiglass. I recall reading a thread where someone oven-formed their own security visor out of plexiglass by letting it melt over a clay form. I recall them saying the oven temp doesn't need to be over 150 F. I would assume that thin acryllic would be even easier to melt, so you would have to play around with the temp.

Thanks for all the info! I'll talk it over with my dad and see what he thinks.

Based on what Yuki said about the layers, I'm wondering if it would work better to "trap" the light inside two layers, or would it look fine just behind one layer? I'm guessing two since then you wouldn't see the LEDs.

RFPnoodle said:
Thanks for all the info! I'll talk it over with my dad and see what he thinks.

Based on what Yuki said about the layers, I'm wondering if it would work better to "trap" the light inside two layers, or would it look fine just behind one layer? I'm guessing two since then you wouldn't see the LEDs.

i'm just basing my knowledge from theatre an using certain lighting tricks and what not. if you have a few smaller pieces you can see what it will do with one or more pieces.

I love the picks so far! After your done with this costume, add some wings and it can become a pterodactyl costume. :D

How do you plan on attaching that big thing to your jaw so it matches your movements?

thatdecade said:
I love the picks so far! After your done with this costume, add some wings and it can become a pterodactyl costume. :D

How do you plan on attaching that big thing to your jaw so it matches your movements?

Well it already does match my movements. If you mean how I'm going to get it to stay on my head/cover up my hair, I'm in the process of working on that. I rebuilt the straps so they're more comfortable, and I have a thin ski mask that I'm going to glue to the straps. I don't want to burn my scalp so I'm waiting for a foam mannequin head I bought to come in the mail.

And I should have the eyeballs soon (I think they come in tomorrow) so I'll be posting pics as soon as I get those done.

ba2808 said:
this looks awesome so far. are you going to make the shield and pistol or the sniper for your costume?

I have a pistol (the replicas you can buy) and I'm going to make a shield. I airbrushed the gun to look more realistic, too.

I thought the eye-enhancer thing the jackal snipers wear is kinda cool, but in the end I went with a shield jackal because I think it's more interesting. Harder, yes. Cooler, most definitely.

Alright everyone, so my eyeballs finally came in the mail and I'm working on setting them in. They're a bit...tall? so I'm trying to set them as far in as possible (as I have no way of cutting the hard plastic). I still need to airbrush them and add skin around them so they are really "in" his skull.

They are a bit weird to look through and take some getting used to, but it's not bad.

I know Jackals are kind of a bit bugeyed to begin with, and I'm accounting for relative size of the head. I think they look okay. If anything, he's going to look really freaky.

Any advice/thoughts?

Here are the pics:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=7137

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=7138

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=7139

Wow this is amazing! Even the jaw moves! This is the first jackal costume i've ever seen, i won't be suprized if this ends up in the elite forum! 5*

Don't attempt to form whatever plastic you use in an oven you plan to put food it. I don't remember what thread but a very thorough warning was given about some toxic crap that will coat your oven and seep into your food.

Robby said:
Don't attempt to form whatever plastic you use in an oven you plan to put food it. I don't remember what thread but a very thorough warning was given about some toxic crap that will coat your oven and seep into your food.

Damn, I'll be sure not to do that! I think the fumes would probably kill my pet bird too.

Ragh I need a solution!

well hmmm... if you have a school near you then maybe they'd be nice enough to let you use something of there's... not suggesting their kitchen, lol, but perhaps the art room has something you can use. either that or try heat lamps an be very patient or something, cause unless you know someone that owns a big oven made for larger pieces or things that aren't for food, then you'll be kinda tough outta luck with that. ;n;

Alright it's time for another update!

The eyes have been successfully installed. Check them out in my gallery (I'm posting a link to the first of the new pics, be sure to check them out!) http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=7194

I've yet to cover the fresh cardboard in latex/clay details.

The eyes are kinda red, but I've seen so much variance in pictures so I don't really mind. The in-game ones are pinkish opaqueish metallic almost. I added silver marker-paint inside the eyes so it kinda has a metallicness to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back