Spartan648

I know allot of you have a preference for 1st person shooters
but I like the 3rd person view alot better, I am playing
Gears of War and I like being able to see the charter take cover
behind an object. I would like to at least see an option in Halo 3
to switch between 1st and 3rd person

What do you guys think

Spartan 648

I LOVE unreal tournament 2004 which is primarily fps but i am in a trick jumping clan which it helps a lot to be in 3rd for more accurate jumps and landings. i also like to switch to 3rd for games that you need to dodge, duck and cover.

however, even with that being said I still don't think halo 3 should have a 3rd person view. :twisted:

Id like to see both, be a new gen of FPS, cause i love seeing my spartan run around hauling ass

-edit-
i cant see why not either if they put all the time into the spartans look

I'd say absolutely not. Circling in halo multiplayer is half the fun, you can't circle and spin in 3rd person like you can in first person. However, third person makes it much more cinematic, but I still don't think it'd be good for halo.

They use 3rd person for all the vehicles, and to me, that's jarring enough, considering you can't use any actual tank tactics; like hiding around buildings, and letting the tip of your barrel be the only thing exposed to enemy fire.

It's a little goofy.

Plus, the replay and movie buttons will allow us PLENTY of oppourtunity to see our character doing stuff from outside the suit. That's a REALLY cool feature..

Third person looks great in Halo videos (Machinma and montages) but I seriously doubt it could work for gameplay...'cept in Halo Wars of course.
Switching back and forth spontaneously would be really disruptive to gameplay too.

besides, then they might see me sneaking up for the beat down! ;)

Deadguy said:
Plus, the replay and movie buttons will allow us PLENTY of oppourtunity to see our character doing stuff from outside the suit. That's a REALLY cool feature..

what buttons? D:

Last edited by a moderator:
stuntgrunt said:
its all bout the fps..im sorry but idk..it wouldnt seem right to play that way

Thats why there should be an option for FP or TP
so the player could choose.
I already know that option will not be there but it would be nice
either way I will be buying Halo 3 the one with the helmet :D

Spartan 648

Spartan 021 said:
Deadguy said:

what buttons? D:

At the end of a match, you can review the entire match from whatever perspective you want to. You can do it first-person, or fly around to wherever you want to view the action from. You can slow the speed, stop it, rewind it, fastforward it, etc. It was in the Alpha Version that those reporters got to play. Apparently it saves the game info to your harddrive, and since it's only numbers and the game engine re-enacts the scenes based on those numbers, it doesn't take up much room.

On a LAN setup, the party leader controls the speed of the playback, but everyone get's their own choice of camera view of the action.

I think we've all going to be making and seeing some KILLER screenshots floating around the web if they include it in the game.

In theory, there might be something like that for single-player campaign too, but I suspect there won't be, considering you could just fly around the map looking at stuff you shouldn't be able to see, like the invisible backs of buildings, possibly find skulls if they're included, etc.

The option would be nice, and I would rather it be 3rd person, but... that would take a lot of extra time and work, plus Bungie has never done 3rd person.

First Person all the way.

While a game such as Gears of War uses a tactical cover based mechanic that can really only work in Third (and indeed works very well.) It would be jarring to impose it on the franchise at this stage.

Espechially as Halo's tactical feel is very orientated to be in your face (literally.) I couldn't imagine the flood having as much impact or dual wielding having the same visceral joy in 3rd as they do in the 1st person.

Halo runs on a totally different premise with the presence of personal shields, this allows for a great deal more cinematic heroism as opposed to the dirty gruntwork of Gears, the games are two totally different beasts. Indeed I feel in Gears shares more in common in many respects to a light weight version of GRAW or Rainbow 6.

Though I enjoyed Gears immensly, there is a disconnect between the player and character. Something you don't get in an FPS, even with a strongly developed, vocal central character such as the Chief. (Though admittedly the character in Gears is a cliched *******, along with the rest of the cast, which doesn't help.)

With such a strong character to market a TPS would be the obvious choice. MC has became somewhat more than he originally was, the very generic nature of his title was intended to facilitate player immersion, I've often felt that to this end giving him a real name may have been a mistake.

Still, like a few other characters, rather than a turn off, the strong personage and imagery do the exact opposite. And I think this is mostly down to the FPS nature allowing the player to project themselves into the role of MC.

It's one of a few games (the other being Half Life) where I personally want to play the character. Rather than the majority of games where I try to forget that the main character is a square-jawed dickwad and just get on with the job of killing stuff.

Did I think about this too much?

Am I talking bollocks?

Does it show I did games design classes at uni?

Should I find a friend as into the intellectual side of games as I am so I can do this down the pub instead of on a forum?

Should the script writter for Gears of War try harder with the characters and cut down on the ******* quotient?

Discuss.

Broz said:
Did I think about this too much?

Am I talking bollocks?

Does it show I did games design classes at uni?

Should I find a friend as into the intellectual side of games as I am so I can do this down the pub instead of on a forum?

Should the script writter for Gears of War try harder with the characters and cut down on the ******* quotient?

Discuss.

No, Maybe, Yeah, Forum, Whats a writter :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back