My Master Chief Mark Vi Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick update. I actually was not able to complete the armor totally and what i did have done i did wear to Halo 4 launch. But Those pictures got wiped out. So Im gonna be reworking some things and maybe even bondo.

I hope that you do work on the armor, it would be a shame to see such hard work and long hours go into something that was never finished! Hope to see some updates from the armor soon!

So a couple things i was hoping to get suggestions on. The sides of the chest and back Im not too happy with. I wish i never cut them off. Other then making a whole new chest and back piece is there any way i have make replacements? Or should I just bite the bullet and make a new torso? Also I have metal hinges holdng the two halves of the torso together. Is there a better way of attaching those two halves? Im starting to think maybe I might be better off making a whole new torso. If thats the case I had heard there were smooth more rounded pep files out there, I cant remember where they came from though. Also my thigh pieces might need to be re-pepped as i think they were a bit too small. and if thats the case the lower legs need to be re done as well. I thought I saw more detailed versions of those lower legs?

If you try to make replacements for the torso, you run the risk of misalignment. It is possible, but it will take a lot of control, especially if you intend on rebuilding the back. You'll have to dig out the pep file you used and print off just the pieces you want to replace, ensuring you are using the same scale as your built torso. Then, when pepping, you have to make sure everything lines up properly and that it stays that way during the hardening process (which will be the most difficult part since pep pieces have a tendency to warp slightly, no matter how we try to control them). If you manage to get the sides and back hardened and everything still lines up, you're golden.

If, however, you decide to rebuild, I know which smooth file you're referring to, it's the file that I used for my torso. The smooth torso file is L3X BLU3R1V3R's smooth unfold of Flying_Squirl's torso. Here is the link to L3X's model thread...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

In his first post of this thread, it's the very first download. Now, if you recall, I built my torso as a hybrid, since there are a few details that were missing on L3X's model and existed on Flying_Squirl's. Here's a little bit of explaination from my own thread...

This is sort of a hybrid build. L3X BLU3R1V3R did a tremendously smooth unfold of Flying_Squirl's model. The only problem is that there were certain parts missing that I would have liked to have in the model, as seen here...

Missing.jpg

However, there were quite a few aspects of L3X's unfold and modification that I liked. Namely, the smooth and rounded shape of the peck area, which will need minimal shaping after the glassing stage. Another aspect I liked about this model is the fact that the back details are greatly simplified, as seen here...

Nice.jpg

That, combined with the fact that L3X's file requires very little bondo shaping in the pectoral area made for a heck of a model.

So, which ever way you decide on going, keep asking questions and keep posting pictures. I just realized that this thread has been going on since about the time I joined the 405th. It'd be a victory so see this finish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chiefy, for the compliment, and thanks for the torso link carpathiavh99 Now i just need to figure out how big my original one was. I am 6'2" I just measured and came up with about 490mm Maybe smaller. But the pieces are not fitting the pages very well.

If the pieces aren't fitting the page you do have the option to split them into smaller ones. In pepakura, right-click and press Join/Disjoin face, and then click the edges you wish to split on the 2D side of the screen.

I know about the divide tool. Just trying to figure out the areas where the pieces won't be noticed too much. I'll keep the pictures coming once I start building again.

Just a quick update with some comparison pictures.

I had decided to redo some of my Mark Vi Armor parts, as i wasnt happy with the way they fit or how they turned out. So the first of the parts is peped and ready for resin. The completed one is from the crackhead09 shin. The peped on is the Extra HD shin from Nicktendo.

IMAG0469_zps857cc172.jpg
IMAG0470_zps426f71ed.jpg
IMAG0471_zps6db9ed99.jpg
IMAG0475_zps74ed9b44.jpg
IMAG0476_zpsefcb1e87.jpg
IMAG0477_zpsd32ffa33.jpg
IMAG0479_zps284f27d6.jpg
IMAG0480_zps28a7aca7.jpg
IMAG0481_zps74d2fe73.jpg
IMAG0482_zps98c9391e.jpg

Now to get to work on the other shin. The first one took me about a week only working about 2 hours a night. This should also still fit me. I wanted to go 20mm taller on the scale as 400mm felt too short for my leg. This will also give me some wiggle room for padding and getting my foot through there.

I'm still here just wanted to post a small update.

20140821_063819_zpsbgjk9u6s.jpg
20140821_063833_zpstvbtjttm.jpg

Both shins are close to being done with glassing.

Maybe this year will be the year I can rock this armor?

I think im about to give up on this project. 4 years and i still have no armor. my chest piece doesnt fit right my cod piece doesnt fit right. I had to redo my legs. I might have to redo some other things like forearms. Im just wishing i could figure out the whole black magic thing of eva foam. If i could afford to commission someone to make thise parts i would but im broke. Suggestions?

Masterchief1977, I have a guide in my signature for all the supplies you need to do a foam build. It's not super expensive to experiment with, just try a few pieces at first and don't expect your first piece to come out perfect, mine sure didn't. With a little practice you'll be able to turn out some decent armor at a fraction of the cost as the fiberglass method.
I strongly urge you to give it a chance.
It looks like you've made a good start on things, don't be so critical on your work, there will always be someone who has more resources than you and has access to awesome equipment and machinery, but we don't all give up when we see others that have used that stuff.
If anything, your armor will be more personal to you because you put your blood, sweat, and tears into your build whereas all they put in was some electricity and machining oil.

Also, sometimes money, careers, school, whatever gets in the way of our builds, again, don't give up! Just because you might need to take a break doesn't mean you shouldn't come back to it.

4 years? It's been 5 years for me, and I'm just now finally getting the chance to start my build.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cod piece im have to redo fo a third time. I didnt have supports on it cuzz they wouldnt print on one peace of paper. Can i do the cod in eva foam? If so is there any pattern for the cod peace?

I have one of my shins glassed and ready for test fit. As soon as i try it on i cant get it past my foot. I went a bit bigger so i wouldnt have this issue from the last one. Sure enough though it doesnt go past my foot. Any suggestions?

I have one of my shins glassed and ready for test fit. As soon as i try it on i cant get it past my foot. I went a bit bigger so i wouldnt have this issue from the last one. Sure enough though it doesnt go past my foot. Any suggestions?

You could think of splitting the whole piece into two parts long ways and using a hinge or somthing to make it easier to put on. or cutting the problem section out carefully and then "reconnect it" with elastic so it'll allow you to slide into.

You could think of splitting the whole piece into two parts long ways and using a hinge or somthing to make it easier to put on. or cutting the problem section out carefully and then "reconnect it" with elastic so it'll allow you to slide into.
Both of these are good suggestions.
I had to make a back door where my foot gets stuck. Clips added and I remove the door to put the shin on and then clip it back together after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back