Fibre Glassing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracyn Ordo

Jr Member
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was anything in particular to look out for when deciding what type of fibre glass resin to use, or if anybody in New Zealand knows the best brand? Also if resin reacts badly with any types of tape (ie. duct tape, packing tape, etc) causing loss of adhesion in the tape or any other adverse effects? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Robert

hi i know it may seem stupid and it might cost you but i would go for the medium priced one . masking tape should really do much but i am sticking mine together with cheap $2 super glue (trust me it's the best way) i dont really know if you have a bunnings over there cause obviously im in aus not nz but try to look for a brand called DIGGERS if they sell it to us yous probibly would have it to

ive used fiberglass resin for alot of things when i was in school for collision repair and most resins are the same as far as i know... i mostly use the "bondo" brand name basically because its a well known name and easy to find... ive never seen any adverse effects on any types of tape, i know it does eat styrophome (check spelling) so hopefully i helped with your questions

Thought your name looked a little familiar... you were in the custom Mando at Armageddon in Wellington right?

I've been getting my fiberglass and resin from NZ Fiberglass, they're up in Auckland but they ship nationwide.

The stuff I've been using is the "Orthophthalic Polyester Laminating Resin" 4kg Resin Kit for $70.00, as far as I can tell it's the same stuff that you'd get from somewhere like Supercheap but for a whole lot less... I think I probably would have paid about $80 for two of the Supercheap kits which couldn't have been more than 250ml resin each and a tiny about of mat

I don't know if there's one brand in particular that's best but the Ados/CRC epoxy resin is good an reasonably priced as well.

If you do find any suppliers local to you drop a post in this thread and I'll add it to the list, in case there are others nearby looking ;)

As far as tape goes, I haven't had experience with tape and polyester resin, only epoxy resin which doesn't do anything to it. I think the polyester might react badly with the adhesive but you'd probably be best to test it on a small piece first (unless someone here has experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back