Re-Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwsilver

Ok, lately I've seen a bunch of posts of people "re-casting" other people's stuff

Couple questions,

1. What is Re-Casting?

2. If you make a pep model and get it all finished, can you make copies of it or does this follow under the catagory of re-casting

I know I can post in other sections outside of the noob form, but i thought this was a pretty noob question as well to explain to everyone else who is a bit shadey on the subject.

RECASTING

Copying or duplicating, any item, with or without modification, without consent from the license holder, original creator, original artist, trademark holder, or copyright holder IS recasting. Deliberately recasting another member’s creation without consent is not supported by this community.

You don't really need to make a profit for something to be recasting. I could copy a helmet or some gauntlets and give it away to my friends, but it's still recasting.

darkesword2020 said:
RECASTING

Copying or duplicating, any item, with or without modification, without consent from the license holder, original creator, original artist, trademark holder, or copyright holder IS recasting. Deliberately recasting another member’s creation without consent is not supported by this community.

You don't really need to make a profit for something to be recasting. I could recast a helmet or some gauntlets and give it away to my friends, but it's still recasting.

ah ok

thank you for clearing it up

BUT, what about pep?

still the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Recasting is when someone spends alot of time, talent and money to make and object and someone comes along and makes a mold off that object without your permission and sells it as their own to make money. Even though you do not own the rights to the object because Microsoft does now it is still messed up that people do it. They have no skill or tallent and they are worth nothing if they STEAL someones work. It is not about stealing an idea because what we do is public knowledge. It is a shame that it takes an artist months and sometimes even years to make something and then someone comes along and copies it in a day and says "hey look what I built and you can have one to for three easy payments of $19.95." I personally think it is a bunch of Bull and for those who do not think it is wrong need to evaluate their morals and standards. Let someone who disagrees work hard and have someone steal their glory and see hwo they change their mind. If someone disagrees and they have something worth while... remember i said worth while then let me get one and I will give it to a recaster and see how it takes away from your hard work.

Ithica

p.s. I am sorry but all the above is my opinion.

Ithica said:
Recasting is when someone spends alot of time, talent and money to make and object and someone comes along and makes a mold off that object without your permission and sells it as their own to make money. Even though you do not own the rights to the object because Microsoft does now it is still messed up that people do it. They have no skill or tallent and they are worth nothing if they STEAL someones work. It is not about stealing an idea because what we do is public knowledge. It is a shame that it takes an artist months and sometimes even years to make something and then someone comes along and copies it in a day and says "hey look what I built and you can have one to for three easy payments of $19.95." I personally think it is a bunch of Bull and for those who do not think it is wrong need to evaluate their morals and standards. Let someone who disagrees work hard and have someone steal their glory and see hwo they change their mind. If someone disagrees and they have something worth while... remember i said worth while then let me get one and I will give it to a recaster and see how it takes away from your hard work.

Ithica

p.s. I am sorry but all the above is my opinion.

No no sir, i agree with you, and your opnion is welcomed

i was just looking for some answers since there were a bunch of "OMG RECASTER ALERT" topics popping up

thank ya both for explaining what it is, now it's gone from wrong, to really an insult to the artist

Well said guys!! Look at this way Pilot....you spend months working on a project, let's say a helmet. You get exactly how you imagined it; smooth, detailed, everything. You decide you are going to start making casts of said project for others to enjoy. Someone who purchases a cast off of you, creates their own mold off of your piece that you worked so hard to create. After that, they start offering casts of their own, claiming that they created it, stealing all of your credit!! Kinda paints a pretty ugly picture, but that is exactly what happens!!

mks81 said:
Well said guys!! Look at this way Pilot....you spend months working on a project, let's say a helmet. You get exactly how you imagined it; smooth, detailed, everything. You decide you are going to start making casts of said project for others to enjoy. Someone who purchases a cast off of you, creates their own mold off of your piece that you worked so hard to create. After that, they start offering casts of their own, claiming that they created it, stealing all of your credit!! Kinda paints a pretty ugly picture, but that is exactly what happens!!

ya, sounded like ithica was talking from personal experiance, or at least had a friend who it happened to

but I think i get the idea now

Thanks fellas!

It's ok to cast off pep, unless the designer has requested you not to. As far as I know this only applies to one pep modeler, but I forget his name.

Robby said:
It's ok to cast off pep, unless the designer has requested you not to. As far as I know this only applies to one pep modeler, but I forget his name.

Skupilkinson.

no you can cast skips work you just cant send out the pep file you bought or give it to anyone casting it is fine, or at least it was for timecon.

Personally I don't see the problem. When people decided to start selling their work in casts they must have known and should be prepared to deal with things like this.

If you don't want someone to recast your work, Dont sell out casts in the first place, Only sell it to people you trust. I don't know.

But if someone recasts your work in my opinion it's nobody's fault but your own.

I don't plan to recast, Because I generally don't buy casts anyway.

I just think it's an opinion thing, Nobody's right.

not trying to be to negative here, but there are way to many threads about recasting on this forum now. If you have a question about it please either use the search function, or just use common decency and don't mold someones work. It's just like Cheating of a Test in school sirs and Mams. People do, but you don't really get anywhere. The teacher may not know but everyone in class did.

BenStreeper said:
not trying to be to negative here, but there are way to many threads about recasting on this forum now. If you have a question about it please either use the search function, or just use common decency and don't mold someones work. It's just like Cheating of a Test in school sirs and Mams. People do, but you don't really get anywhere. The teacher may not know but everyone in class did.

this wasn't a topic of wether it was good or bad

no body has really explained what re casting was, or at least from what i've read

it's always been re casting

it was really a topic of, why is it so bad, does pep count, and really just and overall definition

Pilot92 said:
this wasn't a topic of wether it was good or bad

no body has really explained what re casting was, or at least from what i've read

it's always been re casting

it was really a topic of, why is it so bad, does pep count, and really just and overall definition

again not to be mean but yes sir they have. it has been explained in detail many time through out the life of this site. I am not meaning to say anything negative about you, please take that into account. I merely would like to point out that multiple threads on the same subject with the same discussion eat up the sites bandwidth limit. Please for future reference search the site or even Google it.

1st post on google lead to this result:

re·cast (r-kst)

tr.v. re·cast, re·cast·ing, re·casts

1. To mold again: recast a bell.

2. To set down or present (ideas, for example) in a new or different arrangement: recast a sentence.

3. To change the cast of (a theatrical production).

n. (rkst)

1. The act or process of recasting.

2. Something produced by recasting.

Recasting is like sleeping with another guy's wife. Sure, he does not own the woman, but that does not make it right to sleep with her.

ok this was not meant to start a fight with anyone, and if anyone has read any of my previous posts, it basically said i get it

so let's drop the topic and move on

The Stig said:
Personally I don't see the problem. When people decided to start selling their work in casts they must have known and should be prepared to deal with things like this.

If you don't want someone to recast your work, Dont sell out casts in the first place, Only sell it to people you trust. I don't know.

But if someone recasts your work in my opinion it's nobody's fault but your own.

I don't plan to recast, Because I generally don't buy casts anyway.

I just think it's an opinion thing, Nobody's right.

I think you have just guaranteed that no one here will ever sell you a cast if you change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back