What Keeps People Going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haji

Ive come so far with my odst helmet but once ive come close to completion, I see all these uneven gaps, one side bigger in width, This side rises lower than the other, and so on... Ive spent almost a week of going backwards trying to re do the problems and i dont feel like its ever going to be finished.

Who else get this feeling, im guessing the "artist will never be happy with his work" is starting to apply to me now. What motivates you guys to keep going when you stumble on this stage? That "give up" feeling is really getting to me more than ever

Deadlines. Set one and you'll see how quickly your helmet will shape up (assuming you set a schedule and work daily on it). That's my advice.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a friend confide in how "awesome" they think your work is, but sometimes...it may be better to have an honest friend to tell you where your "screw ups" are, because a second opinion never hurts. Just don't be closed-minded. As Dave showed me, I've been guilty of doing that myself.

Work diligently, and be patient, a good thing takes time.

It's like my mentor said (youth pastor): If you wanna go fast, go by yourself. If you wanna go far; go with others.

That applies with the armor/helmets. Take advice, and work hard, but pace yourself; otherwise you'll burn out.

- Fitz

I come on here and read threads and look at pictures of others work and pep files. It gets me pumped to start working, even at 4 a.m.

well, first off you need to set yourself a goal that you want to accomplish, and set small ones inbetween (short term and long term). and whenever i get down, i personally go onto this forum, look at some work that people do, and say "mine is going to be just as good if not better" and i get back too work. sometimes i'll even be pepping something while looking on the forum (which causes for a distraction ;p) but yeah, you can do it. we all know it's rough at time but you can do it. people here will be here to motivate you too if you need.

oohhh, and another thing that helps me work oddly enough is watching red vs blue too lol. i love them!!!! i guess i more or less listen to it rather than watch it but you get what i'm saying. anything that gets you into a halo mod will help

dude i know how you feel i had to punch out a full chief suit in one month with only $80.00. Every time i would finish a piece i would see all these faults and mistakes it got really discouraging especially when i would print out a piece start making it and realize its not scaled right i felt like giving up. but i keep going and on the day of comic con when i wlked through those doors and couldnt get two feet without people complementing my costume or wanting to take pictures with me it just made me forget about all the little problems and it felt great so you dont need to freak if youre project isint perfect if you made it yourself and put youre time and effort into it it dosent matter be proud of what you made and when the day comes to show it off hold youre head high because whatever you make yourself is worth it.

Thanks for the advise, Ive really been working to get it ready for D-con, but that is almost hopeless with it coming up so soon and college is about to start as well. Haha, yeah looking at other peoples work gets me straight into the garage, but then you start realizing all the mistakes, and spend to much time trying to straigten it out but in the end, its still at the same spot as it was before.

Im gonna have to give up on D-con, darkeswood your right, ive really been pacing myself way to much, ill have to cut down and take my time on it so it comes out nicer

also keep in mind, bondo is your best friend. mistakes you make in the pep can mostly be fixed in bondo. i know i haven't reached that part on mine but i know it works for fixing cars. so after i'm done resining i'm putting in a little more detail with bondo. so don't get too worked up about your pep

Bondo is whats killing me!!!!, most of my helmet was scrapped of its pep origins and redone with cardboard, which really left the window open for uneviness times infinite. I strongly regret doing that now because i could have very well worked with the pep helmet. I really have to set my goal to "only work with this part"

Ill try to work with one part and when i try to apply some more, it ruins the body filler that has already been smoothely applied, then i spend for ever trying to even it out... before you know it its already starting to harden and im rushing to slab the body filler on other parts.

hey man sometimes I have the same issues with my works, like when you go to look at it and I've spent so much time and effort trying to fix little mistakes, that strangely enough, no one would even really notice until you've pointed them out to them. Sometimes when you get to that point its like quicksand you see something wrong start trying to fix that only to realize something else is wrong. With that most will say just pushing forward you will get it all fixed (which is good sound advice) but its working on it and seeing those problems that make you not want to work on it anymore. If your at that point sometimes the best and most productive thing to do is just start over from scratch learn from the mistakes that happened the last time fix them now that you know what to look for you will feel a lot better about doing it again because it will go faster and it will seem easier the second time around I've read some post here from people who are on their 3rd of even 5th attempt at making something. Its almost next to impossible to do anything perfect it takes a lot of time and patience.

Dead lines are fine to set for yourself, a good motivator but its only self defeating if you rush yourself so much that there's no love in what your doing anymore and your project just turns into something else that you don't want to work on anymore. Just take your time and if you have to start over and if you need motivation man just read some of the forums look at others builds and read how much work they had to put into it nothing comes easy its a fight all the way to the end and never forget man your a member of the 405th....we don't give up and we help our own I'm sure everyone here will be willing to give you advice and encouragement to finish the fight :)

Hey man what I like to do is lission to the Halo soundtracks, Play Halo, watch vid of other peoples work, or even watch my vid that i make it lets me see how far i have come. Also Freinds do help ALOT! Good luck and I know going back and redoing things is a pain but they're worth it in the long run.

Sgt_NVC_CAP said:
Hey man what I like to do is lission to the Halo soundtracks, Play Halo, watch vid of other peoples work, or even watch my vid that i make it lets me see how far i have come. Also Freinds do help ALOT! Good luck and I know going back and redoing things is a pain but they're worth it in the long run.

AMEN! I Always listen to the halo soundtracks, and sometimes i find myself running around the house with nothing but a forearrm piece on(clothes too :p). But if i ever get discouraged i just look back at my first works and say " Damn. At least it's better than that!". But either way, just the feeling of accomplishment at the end is what im all about =]. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 5 suits that I have to finish by Halloween. Pressure keeps me going. Also, I made a nice helmet last year from a size tester and I simply put the detail I wanted in the bondo with a dremel or a knife as it cures. You can not make a mistake with bondo, really. Good Luck

You can check out my project last year here.

Halo 2008

Additional Photos

Bamabat

nice helmet bambat, Yeah im definately gonna start easing off on how much ive been working on it. I actually havent touched it for 2 days now and just brought it in, it definately looks like a peice of art in the works as long as i ignore the little faults, like you guys said that only i would probally notice

thanks for the motivation help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back