Spartan Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandhem

Decided to take on the spartan laser and hard! I feel Nugget's pep file has enough detail that i wont even have to use bondo. I plan to fiberglass the inside and resin the outside and hopefully mold it and just sand the parts that needed slight bondoing once it is cast. Anyone have any constructive critisicm on this plan? I'll let you know when the paper pep is complete and post pics, (should be a week or so). Anyone else interested in my favorite halo 3 weapon?? lol

I mean, look how beautiful it is:

SpartanLaser_Letter_Nugget.jpg

I'd love to see progress pics along the way! This sounds like a great project. I would suggest using plastic or expanding foam instead of fiberglass so that you can keep it in one piece.

well i kinda hate those people who take progress pics of unfinished pep pieces, its so dumb. but i will def snap a few once the pep is done, and then after every other step of the way. lol

as for expanding foam, i am somewhat concerned about it expanding too far in places and possibly bowing/strethcing out the seams of the pep?

Check out Kelly's tutorial for the expanding foam. As for the pics, its pics or it didn't happen. If you aren't going to show us for a week, then why make the thread now?

i just wanted to ask all these questions before i got into it, because if it turns out i have to bondo the whole thing- i wont do it

I tried to do that one my self. i got about half way thought but rethought it, splitting it off from that handles so you could fiber glass it and then join the two pieces.

that's what i was thinkin. fberglass is a little tougher than foam anyway. yeh it is like 50 pages worth of paper, but i have no problem committing to a pep piece

Tandhem said:
yeh it is like 50 pages worth of paper, but i have no problem committing to a pep piece

But the only thing is the Spartan laser unfold on the wiki is awful. :angry

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh its going to be ridiculously tough unfortunately however----nothing is impossible, and at the end of the day it is just very complicated folding and gluing paper :) i can do it

I don't know, I used expanding foam on my AR and it turned out alright. Well, before the move that is. Anyway, I've actually been commissioned by a member to do this build in relation to a trade. Be prepared for a lot of on the spot thinking in regards to over-lapping tabs and such. It's quite the work out and I managed to get most of it cut and glued in 6 hours. I wish you luck mate.

- Adulese

yeh im somewhat worried about that and ive got about half the pages cut out but damn, 6 hours?!?! thats incredible. im expecting to tkae 4 or 5 days 3 hours a day

Sorry for the double post but im working on this right now and was wondering- because the splaser is unfolded poorly like sumone said earlier, does that mean it will not look good even if assembled perfectly?

Tandhem said:
Sorry for the double post but im working on this right now and was wondering- because the splaser is unfolded poorly like sumone said earlier, does that mean it will not look good even if assembled perfectly?

not really. an unfold determines the shape of the pieces that are cut out. Not the shape of the whole object. Best of luck to you! I plan on doing the laser as a part of my ODST, so maybe we can swap notes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
actually not yet. I'm waiting on my friend who's supposed to help me with cutting. My plan was to pep it in halves, fiberglass and resin it partially leaving the edges of each half still flexible, glue the halves to gether resin, reinforce, bondo, paint, mold, cast, and smile. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back