Pepakura Auto Scaler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonT98

So after searching the forum I found this thread on scaling. http://405th.com/for...=0&#entry322480

Xtreme Tactics 101
Came up with a few great ways of scaling your pepakura files!

For this I choose to do Method 1. It seemed to be the best way of scaling your Pepakura files so I started out printing my image and measuring up. It just so happens that I am a little lazy and figured why not let my computer do the work for me.

I started with this Image
http://www.starstore...ief-costume.jpg

I used this because the stance allowed me the best possible access of every piece of armor.

I measured it out and got the height of each piece of armor. Here:

I then entered in these value into an excel page. I grabbed the dimensions of each Pepakura File for each piece (I.E. Chest, Helmet, Hand, Forearm etc.) and entered them into a separate section of the page.

I calculated the scaling of height, width or depth depending on what was measured on the page (most use height). Kind of like how Xtreme Tactics 101 calculates the scaling between the images height and your height.

So we get:

Height of pepakura / Height of Image Piece=Scale Calculator

I then used this number to calculate the dimensions of the paper pieces that I could not measure (i.e. depth) . The reason I did this is because not all pieces have the same scaling. Some are fairly close to the human size, some are not.

I took my height and estimated how tall I would be wearing boots and a helmet. Using this same technique I calculated the difference between my height and the height on the page.

Now like I said, I'm lazy. I used the built in functions of Excel so that my excel page does all these calculations itself. All I had to do was enter in the initial measurement of each piece on the paper, the dimensions (H, W, D) of the Pepakura file and my estimated height.

This is what I ended up with.

autoscaler.jpg

What does this mean for you? No more calculations and quick and easy conversions no matter what file your using. All you have to do is enter in your height and the dimensions for each piece (in the pepakura file I might add, no printing or measuring needed), Rescale each piece using the new measurements in Pepakura Designer and print (You can print the file as a .xps or .pdo file if you do not wish a hard copy right away, this will save you from having to buy Pepakura Designer
wink.gif
).

I'm still messing about with it and will probably have something more solid for tomorrow. I want to check my math and what not.

Right now my main issues are:

Calculations for larger helmets (I.E. Hayabusa) might be off.

Calculations for chest extras (I.E. CQB, EOD etc.) are probably off.

No Auto calculations for bicep extras (I.E. CQB, EOD etc.).

I assumed that the armor permutation extras are scaled for the regular pieces. (I.E. CQB Chest size will match up with the MKVI Chest.) . I'll probably do the same for the bicep pieces as well.

When I'm done I'm hoping to have this as a standalone app or as a .asp file that can be accessed online.

So all you, The user, Will have to do is input your height and select the pieces you wish to use. It will then auto calculate what size each piece should be and will display them (I might have it compensate for the height difference between someone wearing socks and no head gear and calculate what their height would be with the selected helmet and boots on).

Well, Its late and I'm beat. I know there are more issues I have to work around, I just can't think of them.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome little thing! I'm digging it, thanks for making.

For those of you on a budget, try OpenOffice. It's free, and does pretty much everything MS Office can do (also shares filetypes, so you can open that excel file in it).

ya excel is expensive. But like Flyerfye said there is Open Office.

Thats why I wanna get this into a Web app, that way everyone can use it without having to download or purchase anything

That would be SUPER-COOL to have it as a web app. Any plans to do other sets (ODST maybe)? I know you have other stuff to do, I'm just throwing that out there.

You my friend are now my best mate. This is beautifully done and so very simple. I commend your effort!

- Adulese

Flyerfye said:
That would be SUPER-COOL to have it as a web app. Any plans to do other sets (ODST maybe)? I know you have other stuff to do, I'm just throwing that out there.

Yup thats the plan :)

I'm doing just spartan right now because I have all the measurements and my tables are all sorted for the main pieces but once I have them ODST is next.

My biggest issue now is getting all the different pieces that people could possibly use. For example, The bicep. You can use RoboGenesis's HD, Normal Detail, Normal Detail Bottom (for use with premutations) and Normal Detail Tops. Quite a selection that people are going to possibly use. Not to mention there are 3 HD versions of the chest. I'm probably going to pick 1 HD chest and 1 Normal chest so I won't have to do a billion possibilities.

I'm also thinking wether or not the user should pick what they want before entering data. (ie ODST, Marine, Spartan) and there choice will show the associated pieces, or if I should have them all in the same section.

It doesn't have to be that complicated:

I've created a file in Excel that should help with Method #1. See if it works.

Pepakura Conversion Kit:

.xls file

Pepakura Conversion Kit

.xlsx file

Pepakura Conversion Kit

The idea was to take your math and put it in a form that is easy to use.

All you have to do is insert numbers in the red boxes and Tada, you end up with the proper Pep Scaling Numbers to achieve a perfect fit for any height.

It's not perfect, builders still have to measure an image or a model like Method #1 states, However, they should be able to measure a complete model, collect the numbers and quickly find all the Pep numbers for a full suit of armor!

Let me know if it works for you and I'd like to know what you think.

Good program, the only problems are;

-Some people are "rounder" then others. This posses a HUGE problem

-Some people have differant arm and leg lengths.

-If a calculation messes up, you have to do it all over again

-Every measurement has to be to the EXACT mm. Even if your 2mm off, it will not work properly

Thats all I can figure out right now.

Also, next time, PLEASE ask my permission before using my scaling method(s)(especially Method #1-I did create it as far as I know) as a base for a program. Next time, you may run into somebody whos takes many things the wrong way.

Also, possibly my name being mentioned in the thread for credit would be nice.

Thanks!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:

-Every measurement has to be to the EXACT mm. Even if your 2mm off, it will not work properly

Also, next time, PLEASE ask my permission before using my scaling method(s)(especially Method #1-I did create it as far as I know) as a base for a program. Next time, you may run into somebody whos takes many things the wrong way.

Thanks!

Hey Xtreme, I'm working on another version of the Conversion Kit that will take into account these things. I hope to have it finished later in the week. I am running out of time on Sophie's armour! ugh

I agree with X on this I tried to use the math on a scaled version of the armor for my daughter and it doesn't exactly work properly. For one children are not scale to adults, Lesson learned this weekend. Longest 32 hours of repepping in my life! LOL

However the math is solid for average adults who are built fairly proportional. This means you don't have a longer neck or torso, and your hips aren't smaller or larger than the reference model. We are not all built proportionally...

The hard part is determining the scale of a subject beyond proportional to make the adjustments. But I am working on it. :)

Peace,

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:

Thanks!

Sorry mate, I should have asked.

But your name is in the post, there is a link to your thread and I gave you credit for your method of scaling. all I did was plop it into an excel file.

If you'd like I'll make it more visible at the start

your right about the sizeing many people are diffferent sizes.

Right now this is jsut me testing it out and determining what other things I can do, It needs testing and to be worked. I'm using your method to grab a very basic data set for scaling. I would like to include areas for the user to input things such as each individual length and circumference for each body part and hopefully create someway of calculating the best possible fit without being either too long or too wide.

chwbcc: thats great! are you going to stick to the excel sheet or do you have other plans? I'm gonna stick to what I'm doing right now and test some things out. Maybe we can collaberate?

Yea, it being more visable at the start would be great. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm VERY glad my scaling method has gotten so many people making programs for it. I never thought it would be that great. I'm really glad I relieced it to the public. Now all my thread needs is a stickie- Mods, HINT, HINT (lol).

But yea, just keep working out the bugs and stuff, and i'm sure it will be great. Now I'm going to have to choose whitch one of you twos programs to put a link to in my thread...

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Yea, it being more visable at the start would be great. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm VERY glad my scaling method has gotten so many people making programs for it. I never thought it would be that great. I'm really glad I relieced it to the public. Now all my thread needs is a stickie- Mods, HINT, HINT (lol).

But yea, just keep working out the bugs and stuff, and i'm sure it will be great. Now I'm going to have to choose whitch one of you twos programs to put a link to in my thread...

ok mate will do.

If chwbcc wants to colleberate I can send him my data and what I came up with and maybe he can get a better way of doing things. I'm new to pepakura and espically this scaling so I'm not 100% confident in how the scaling will appear once its printed and put onto a person. I'm a computer programmer and I work with Asp web apps at work so really all I need Is some nice solid data and I can whip out an app in an hour or so for beta testing

Okay, you two figure things out. Then one of you come to me (PM me), and I will see how I can help. Once we have the final copy, one of toy two make a thread, and I will put a link in my tutorial to that thread. You guys do the same for my thread. I will give you both credit blah blah blah blah blah, there ya go.

Hi Khestral and welcome to the 405th! Please know that you just posted in a thread that is 6 years old! Those people will probably never see your question. Please stick to posting in threads that have been active in the last 3 weeks. Otherwise it pushes people's current threads further away and we want to see their awesome builds!

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to your question and not really even sure what you are asking. What you should do is go to the new recruit sticky thread here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=10744 and click on the first few links of the first post. Watch the video, introduce yourself, read a little bit more. Then if you have a question, further down you will see links for Help! threads... find the thread that fits your question and post in there. Best of luck finding what you are looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back