Expanding Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could work in theory, but it's not a particularly effective idea. If you haven't used expanding foam before, I wouldn't recommend it.

dmastachief said:
no i mean i need to know if great stuff is what i use to fill the gun ive never done it before its called great stuff

Most people use fiberglass resin to reinforce their props here. Great Stuff isn't what most people suggest, but I haven't used it with pepakura before, so I'll wait and see if anyone else has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try resining the outside. Then once its hard you can fill it with great stuff. That way it doesn't warp or anything.

dmastachief said:
im going to be making an ar and is great stuff what i use to fill it

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... That is unless you resin the outside first. I used great stuff on my AR and well...

[attachment=12335:0925091547-01.jpg]

[attachment=12334:0925091547-00.jpg]

seaninja951 said:

[attachment=12335:0925091547-01.jpg]

[attachment=12334:0925091547-00.jpg]

oh lord that poor assault rifle looks like it got caught in a plasma beam

Dusty said:
oh lord that poor assault rifle looks like it got caught in a plasma beam

when I first posted this epic failure, everybody said that it looked like a battle damaged AR or BR. It turned into a win after those comments though.

um it looks like giant turd and how would i fiberglass it fii i cant get inside it

I would resin the outside first and then use low expansion foam.Also, put holes in the AR so the foam can escape

dmastachief said:
ok but if i mess up how do i get fiberglass inside the gun

If you mess up, the AR will be ruined. Also, you can't fiberglass it once there's already foam inside.

Resin on the outside will help it keep its shape but that foam expands with great pressure and will still warp it if overfilled. Use only the minimally expanding foam meant for filling around windows. If you insist on doing it that way.

hey guys tried this a while ago. since its basically expanding glue it wont work.

in theory, if you do it like injection molding and have many point on where you will inject the foam. use low expansion and have other points where the excess can escape. its possible. b

but you wont be able to use it for mold making. only to stiffen the pep'd weapon.

i have used it on plastic airsoft shells and it has cracked some of them.

good luck guys

expanding will definitly work if you make "outlet" (say 4-6 , 3 each side) holes air can go inside and make it expand it would work better if you resined it maybe 3-4 times

or you could resin 1 or 2 times then cut in half CAREFULLY fiberglass it stick it back together then spray the expanding foam in the object j

I'd suggest resining the outside and then applying a layer of clear packaging tape on every surface so it'll more or less hold the shape when the foam expands.

This is a similar way to Belakor's use of expanding foam in his various builds and it seems to work just fine.

Step 1:

Resin the Outside of the piece

Step 2:

Cut the piece in Half or into small enough pieces to fill

Step 3:

ONLY FILL THE PIECE HALFWAY!!! or a little bit more

Step 4:

Trim extra great stuff

Step 5:

Reattach and Reresin the piece.

That's the only way I know of great stuff ever working in armor.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back